Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

September1 wrote: »
    ACE driver told me that it is too heavy to unload it and refused to come :-(

Yikes :/ my driver had no problem and did it. Why are they delivering pallets that way a tonne if they are too heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

moodrater wrote: »
    If you're concerned with heat output an open fire is madness 75% is going up the chimney. You can get a decent second hand stove for about €200 now.

How much would it cost to replace a fireplace with a stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If you're concerned with heat output an open fire is madness 75% is going up the chimney. You can get a decent second hand stove for about €200 now.

Yeh yeh don't need a lecture thanks, I'm aware of that, cant afford a stove right now, installation etc etc maybe next year

What? that's ridiculous, they know the pallet is a tonne weight so whats the drivers problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

€700 - €2000, depending on how much you want to spend on the stove.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

There's also the chimney to think about to do the job right the chimney normally needs lining normally with a flexible liner. Chimneys for an open fire absorb a lot of heat but that's no problem because 60% of your heat is going up the chimney keeping it hot and taking away the exhaust gases which include most of the tar and soot. With a stove very little heat goes up the chimney and the tar and soot condense out on the first cold surface they hit and as the chimney is cold thats where it stays. A correctly installed liner heats up much more quickly and doesn't absorb as much heat so the cold chimney problem is eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭creambun

meathman0 wrote: »
    Post a picture of it burning, :-)
    2014-12-18 20.14.18.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭wait4me

creambun wrote: »
    The premium is burning brightly in my stove, very happy for the price.
    Hi creambun - do you know if the premium (is it smokeless?) is okay for a grate in the stove.
    I'm afraid of saving money one way and having to buy a new grate later. Thanks

Mine has been burning for just over an hour now after arriving this evening.

Initial thoughts:
    The bag I opened was very varied in size from small stone sized pieces to abnormally large pieces.
    I flung a most of a bucket onto the burning timbers already in there. I felt that it took longer than my usual coal to ignite, will watch this again tomorrow.
    Heatwise its good and it has the rads as hot as the usual coal.

From looking into fire, it looks like it may be ashy but will confirm tomorrow as I'm bôlloxed after lugging 15 bags around the back. :)

Overall I'm happy with it. I'll update in a few days.

wait4me wrote: »
    Hi creambun - do you know if the premium (is it smokeless?) is okay for a grate in the stove.
    I'm afraid of saving money one way and having to buy a new grate later. Thanks

Its the €8 premium polish coal, its perfect for the stove, it does not linger hot unlike the superblend would still be hot the next morning, i have tried many coal in the stove i am happy with this one for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭mrtom

my3cents wrote: »
    A correctly installed liner heats up much more quickly and doesn't absorb as much heat so the cold chimney problem is eliminated.
    On inspection of my fire place my installer recommends 2 meters of flexi liner & then sealing / packing connection to flue. Existing chimney in good condition. This is an affordable alternative to the 6 meter liner to the pot. I'm interested in your thoughts on heat dissipation / condensation in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

polish Coal @ €8 ..............yea right

If it's not Polish coal ,what would it be ?

polish Coal @ €8 ..............yea right

-Slack 40kg for €6
    -Amber King 40kg for €7
    -Champion Premium Coal 40kg for €8
    -Black Diamond Blend 40kg for €10 (semi smokeless)
    -Smokeless Ovoids 40kg for €12

If you look on their facebook page you will see a big yellow bag with the word Polish in big letters across the bag, they are the bags i have in my back yard at the moment unless they are a mirage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

mrtom wrote: »
    On inspection of my fire place my installer recommends 2 meters of flexi liner
    Make sure he's not talking about running the flexiflue directly into the stove the first section needs to be proper rigid stove pipe most manufacturers recommend vitreous enamel.
    yabadabado wrote: »
    If it's not Polish coal ,what would it be ?
    Columbian maybe, high ranking coal retails at €150-€170 euro a tonne in poland, probably half that in the quantities they're buying so if they're bringing it in by boat it could be polish at those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Got the €8.00 bags and can confirm that it is good quality coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Dunno, jury's out on this one, it's no use if buying it for half the price and burning twice as much. You'd nearly need to get just one bag and give it a go to see what you'd be getting. BTW, bags can say anything- Polish, Premium, Colombian etc, but that doesn't mean what's on the bag is in the bag......
    I've purchased "Premium" coal a few years ago and I may as well have been burning stones- glowed red and went out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

screamer wrote: »
    Dunno, jury's out on this one, it's no use if buying it for half the price and burning twice as much. You'd nearly need to get just one bag and give it a go to see what you'd be getting. BTW, bags can say anything- Polish, Premium, Colombian etc, but that doesn't mean what's on the bag is in the bag......
    I've purchased "Premium" coal a few years ago and I may as well have been burning stones- glowed red and went out.

Have you tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

So later that night driver decided to deliver, and unloaded without my help. I'm really confused about what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

mrtom wrote: »
    On inspection of my fire place my installer recommends 2 meters of flexi liner & then sealing / packing connection to flue. Existing chimney in good condition. This is an affordable alternative to the 6 meter liner to the pot. I'm interested in your thoughts on heat dissipation / condensation in my case.

Tell him he's a cowboy and get someone who knows what they are talking about. OK hands up I don't have one of my chimneys lined but to be safe the stove and connecting pipe is taken out once a month and the chimney sweep. The problem I get is a build up of tar dropping around the join between the stove pipe and the chimney, it builds up quickly further up then drops down. With a roaring fire this is exactly where a chimney fire will start.

Flexi-liner should never be attached directly to the stove iirc the manufactures of both the stoves and the liners will say the same. Ideally you use cast iron or vitreous enamel pipe for the first few feet because this is where the fuel gases are hottest and the most corrosive.

Couple pics - Don't know how to embed them (or rather I do but it never flippin works for me)

http://i.imgur.com/QWbLPI4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZDeXmA3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yeh yeh don't need a lecture thanks, I'm aware of that, cant afford a stove right now, installation etc etc maybe next year

Instead of shoveling loads of coal into an open fire and basicly wasting money,why not tackle the problem now.Get a good brand of stove 2nd hand and then pick up the flue pipe and liner and fit it yourself.If you are good at DIY then you will do it yourself in no time at all.
    make sure the liner is HETAS approved aswell.
    The way you are doing it now is just alot of money up and out the chimney and so too is the heat going that way.

Couldn't agree more with Kellymick

I had an open fire until last year. Found I was hammering coal into it to heat the room. When the fire wasn't lit there was a horrid draught coming down it.

Last February, while getting work down in the house, I put in a boiler stove. Have to say that its unreal. Burn less coal for more heat as well as heating the rads (9). No draught down the chimney anymore and perfectly safe to load the fire, close the door and go out leaving it.

My stove is a Charnwood stove, costing €1800 but worth every penny. Couldn't be happier with it. Yes it was a few quid to buy and install but the difference is unreal.

Some decent stoves come up on Donedeal at times. Well worth the investment imo.

Back on topic....
    Day 2 of burning the Premium coal and its equally as good as previous Staffords Superior coal I was using.

Great deal and I'll be definitely getting more when it runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭mrtom

Make sure he's not talking about running the flexiflue directly into the stove the first section needs to be proper rigid stove pipe most manufacturers recommend vitreous enamel.

Ah, didn't know that. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

I have a fire with backboiler and the draught from the fireplace was woeful. Last year I "invested" in a Boru stove door which has eliminated the draught and contains the heat making it so much more efficient. Back boiler and rads heat much quicker and the amount of fuel I use has been significantly reduced. It cost aprox €1200 which is a lot of money I know, but the savings really are worth the outlay. Would really recommend it and also you can use any type of fuel which is a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

It seems that if an individual is purchasing fuel from another State, they need to be accompanying the fuel into the State.

Taken from 'Guidance Note on Solid Fuel Carbon Tax" on revenue.ie: "A tax liability does not arise where an individual personally purchases and brings into the State solid fuel from a supplier in another Member State, provided the fuel is for their own private use and they accompany the fuel into the State."

I wonder will ACE get into any difficulty for delivering the fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Aenaes wrote: »
    It seems that if an individual is purchasing fuel from another State, they need to be accompanying the fuel into the State.

Taken from 'Guidance Note on Solid Fuel Carbon Tax" on revenue.ie: "A tax liability does not arise where an individual personally purchases and brings into the State solid fuel from a supplier in another Member State, provided the fuel is for their own private use and they accompany the fuel into the State."

I wonder will ACE get into any difficulty for delivering the fuel.

To quote a previous post
    thierry14 wrote: »
    Can we all just enjoy the cheap coal for christmas and leave politics out of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Just thought people might want some knowledge of the nuances involved. Unless they just tell the Revenue Commissioners to "leave the politices out of it". I'm sure it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Aenaes wrote: »
    Just thought people might want some knowledge of the nuances involved. Unless they just tell the Revenue Commissioners to "leave the politices out of it". I'm sure it'll be grand.

No not really. I'd say people just want cheap fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

I've been using my coal now for the last 2 weeks or so. It was the Champion Premium Polish (€8 per bag)

Cannot fault it. Great heat, nearly even too hot at times (can cause the fire guard to be too hot so can be tough to grab the handle to move it out of the way when loading the fire - I know...first world problems ha)

But am very happy regardless with it. Will definetly get more once it runs out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭pm.

Great post OP and thanks guys for he reviews, I will order a pallet of the €8 coal for my stove and enjoy the savings

Advertisement