Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP Touchpad Thread (NO Discussion Of Personal Buying/Selling)

• 20-08-2011 6:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up to people.

I'm in NY for the summer and I've just ordered 2 of these for $220.
    HP have discontinued the Touchpad this week and are now letting them go for $99 (16GB) and $149 (32GB).

I know most of you aren't in the USA but treat this as a heads up to get a very good tablet, with Flash Player, at a knock-down price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Great price. Will pick one up if I can get one in Europe at a similar price. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

clacks wrote: »
    Great price. Will pick one up if I can get one in Europe at a similar price. Fingers crossed.
    Any idea if these pads can have the operating system changed to something like android for example?
    Just wondering for future use as HP won't be issuing updates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

iPhone. wrote: »
    clacks wrote: »
    Any idea if these pads can have the operating system changed to something like android for example?
    Just wondering for future use as HP won't be issuing updates etc.

There is no app store, it may not get future flash updates, but for 99$ its a steal just be aware out will only really be good for the web, watching videos, listening to music and picking up emails

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Darwin

There is already a project underway to try and get Android ported to it (mentioned on XDA developers). Are there any US stores offering international shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

officedepot.com are all out and the HP website is gone back up to $400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

At the moment, the topic on slickdeals (a us bargain website which doesn't know about outside the us(!)) has over 500(!!!) pages of people ordering the tablets

most people seem to be ordering at officedepot (similar to staples) but the concern is that their inventory system isn't linked to their ordering system, hence the orders will be cancelled

as a result people are waiting for other online retailers to reduce the price on theirs (e.g. amazon!)

Link to the first page is below - I don't think it's against the TOS for me to link to it in these circumstances (and the fact we haven't seen any reductions in europe. yet)http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3220862

I'm in for two at officedepot at the moment...

word is that amazon.com's price will change at 3am pst which means I have enough time to make a cup of coffee!

I have doubts about my order at officedepot coming through - but it does say delivery in 3 days - so who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

davork wrote: »
    word is that amazon.com's price will change at 3am pst which means I have enough time to make a cup of coffee!

I have doubts about my order at officedepot coming through - but it does say delivery in 3 days - so who knows!

Quick question, Will amazon UK change? Or will I have to go through the US site? Will they ship to Ireland?

amazon.com do ship to ireland.

Anyone got any info on when this will be offered on this side of the pond, ie Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Anyone find somewhere that ships to Ireland yet? Still high price on amazon.com

I'm hearing that they're shipping the EU stock from finland and hp UK to the US because of high demand over there...

Will give amazon a go at 3am PST :) It would be fantastic to get honeycomb when the guys at XDA figure it out.

I'm hearing that they're shipping the EU stock from finland and hp UK to the US because of high demand over there...

I would take that with a pinch of salt, especially as there are probably lots of stock still in the US already that has not shifted yet.... Amazon.com for example

also wouldn't they need to repackage in some way, different regulations/manuals etc required and US power adapters?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Soup Thief

The power adapter is easy - they have a 110volt plug stepping down to a usb cable - you'll probably have loads of mains plugs to usb kicking about - if not they're available for buttons on ebay
    Would be good to pick one up on amazon.co.uk all uk/eire ready, but while there's any question that this might not happen then i'll get one from amazon.com - the $/€ exchange ain't too bad and when companies translate their headline prices they generally just change the sign and leave the digits as they were, so the $149 currently on officedepot.com for the 32gb version may well translate to €149 rather than the €110 ish that it actually is
    All mere speculation, but I'm gonna be checking amazon.com in 10 minutes
    Even if the gang at xda developers don't get their teeth into this, someone is bound to before too long - and webOS is sposed to be pretty slick in anycase even if it gets no android love

Not seeing the lower price on amazon but people on twitter are saying they can see it. Perhaps the price is for US customers only.

time to proxy...
    edit - bah - still no discounts on amazon.com even when viewing via us proxies
    not to worry - word is they have rather a lot of stock to clear - will go about my business and check back in later...

Could always buy through officedepot.com and ship it with bundlebox - will cost about €30 to ship

Still not seeing any price reduction on amazon.com even through proxy. anyone else having any luck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

According to the american deals site linked here, It was a lie.

time to proxy...
    edit - bah - still no discounts on amazon.com even when viewing via us proxies
    not to worry - word is they have rather a lot of stock to clear - will go about my business and check back in later...

Could always buy through officedepot.com and ship it with bundlebox - will cost about €30 to ship

officedepot are out of stock, they have a back order service but they might cancel on you

• Advertisement

Since I checked a couple of hours back http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/278385/HP-TouchPad-Tablet-16GB/ have added a note - Limit 2 Per Customer - haven't tried to order one but the website indicates they have stock there
    I'm guessing HP have a LOT of these devices to shift, so I suspect they may not be about to sell out this morning - even at these prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Since I checked a couple of hours back http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/278385/HP-TouchPad-Tablet-16GB/ have added a note - Limit 2 Per Customer - haven't tried to order one but the website indicates they have stock there
    I'm guessing HP have a LOT of these devices to shift, so I suspect they may not be about to sell out this morning - even at these prices...

officedepot require a zip code to order, no direct shipping to ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

It must be a matter of hours before this comes to the eu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Going to get one of these if I can. I only want a tablet for movies and the net, so this would be perfect even without future support.

officedepot require a zip code to order, no direct shipping to ireland..

That is correct, though you can (could - read on) freight them to ireland using bongous.com or similar, at pretty steep prices (€30+)
    I say could, since officedepot website is no longer selling these - can only now be purchased instore
    Perhaps the stock is shifting faster than i thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

According to this Best Buy got 270,000 TouchPads from HP but have only shifted 25,000 of them, so I guess that's another place to look for stock.

invest4deepvalue.com

officedepot are out of stock, they have a back order service but they might cancel on you

now there's a surprise!

Do-more wrote: »
    According to this Best Buy got 270,000 TouchPads from HP but have only shifted 25,000 of them, so I guess that's another place to look for stock.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-Promotions/HP+TouchPad+return+and+Price+Match+policy+details/pcmcat250800050019.c?id=pcmcat250800050019

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

If you know anybody in the States, apparently they're not too hard to find in Walmart.

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    If you know anybody in the States, apparently they're not too hard to find in Walmart.

wallyworld is selling out all over the place - at least according to the SD forum (which has over 6K comments now in < 12 hrs)

If you get someone to go to a wallyworld, their best bet is to already be there (I know, I know) or place an order online for store pickup. Thing is walmart's inventory system is updated at 5pm in the evening so things 'happen' overnight...

My order seems safe at the moment (at officedepot) but they send cancels out on Monday mornings (US time) when they mess up inventory

As for the other US stores:
    Amazon don't seem to be doing anything
    Staples apparently might be Tuesday (right, keep checking their website)
    J&R no price change on the website

Other places are
    PC Richard - most stores are O/S and online they are O/S
    MicroCentre - they have removed the pages from their website
    Frys - same as MicroCenter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement