Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humax discount 30 Sterling

• 24-03-2020 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭

In these difficult times, we want to do everything we can to support our customers, so we are also offering a £30 discount across our Freeview product range*.
    £30 off Freeview models with code:
    FVP30
    valid at www.humaxdirect.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

No Freesat models in stock.

Free view is effectively useless in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Cerco

Can you not use the record versions for recording Saorview channels?
    Not sure if Series link will work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Cerco wrote: »
    Can you not use the record versions for recording Saorview channels?
    Not sure if Series link will work though.

Yes you can

Normally they have,I'm on a humax for years great box for recording series etc( freesat) they sell reconditioned) 2nd hand boxes aswell,late bro got 2 no problems, still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Hiya,
    Do the Humax boxes work with saorview yeah?
    Do you get the 7 day tv programme guide and all that ?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Humax No Longer Manufacturing Freesat Boxes
    https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/humax-no-longer-manufacturing-freesat-boxes

This seems to be what is replacing the Humax.
    Freesat launches third generation 4K TV boxes
    https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020/02/24/freesat-launches-third-generation-4k-tv-boxes/

for sale in Ireland

Freesat 4K TV Box
    €179.95
    71ci0_t6qol._sl1500_.jpg
    https://www.freesat.ie/freesat-4k-tv-box.html

This version does not have a internal HDD for recording. A version with internal HDD will be on the market later this year.

Freesat Launches Advanced 4K Recording Boxes [Updated]
    April 18, 2020 by Or Goren
    Free-4K-boxes-living-room.jpg
    Freesat, the satellite-based Freeview equivalent, has announced the release of four new Ultra HD (4K) TV boxes, with “third-generation” advanced features, recording capabilities, and broadband-based streaming apps.

April 18 Update: While the basic 4K Freesat box was available for a while, the new recording boxes are finally available as well – but only in Currys, for now.

Freesat, a joint venture between the BBC and ITV, offers more than 200 free-to-air TV channels and radio stations, all transmitted via digital satellite. It currently reaches 2 million homes in the UK.

While similar to Freeview, Freesat was created as a solution for places where standard aerial reception is lacking.

Instead of having to rely on aerial transmitters, you just point your small roof-top satellite dish to the sky, connect it to a tuner inside the house, and you’re good to go. (Some can also use their old Sky dishes for Freesat, though they sometimes require retuning)

Watching freesat in living room
    Report this ad

Because of the wider bandwidth, Freesat can offer more channels than Freeview – 20 of which are in HD.

Freesat PVRs were practically unavailable for new users in the past few months, ever since Humax stopped manufacturing the previous generation of Freesat recorders. (Also see our round-up of the best Freesat boxes available).

Now, after a long wait, the new boxes – manufactured by “Commscope”, are finally available to order – some only on Currys for now, with Amazon availability expected soon.

Freesat Recording box 4K

All the new boxes feature a collection of catch-up streaming apps (similar to what’s on FreeviewPlay), such as BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub, as well as Netflix and YouTube.

The boxes’ Electronic Programmes Guide can be used to ‘go back in time’ and play a show that aired up to 7 days back – via its corresponding channel app.

The new Freesat boxes now support Ultra HD (4K), though keep in mind that for now, there are no over-the-air 4K broadcasts in the UK – instead, you can only use that feature for 4K content on Netflix and YouTube (and the occasional BBC iPlayer ‘experiment’).

Freesat 4K remote

Additionally, customers will be able to use the Freesat Mobile App to control their set-top boxes, and set recordings and reminders on the go.

The four boxes are differentiated by their recording capabilities – and storage space:

The Freesat 4K TV Box is a Freesat player with streaming apps, but without any recording capabilities. Order it here from Amazon or from Currys.
    Freesat Recordable 4K TV Box 500GB – Can also be used to record up to four different programmes at the same time, as well as Pause and Rewind live TV. With 500GB, you can record up to 250 hours of content. Order it here from Currys.
    Freesat Recordable 4K TV Box 1TB – Same features as the 500GB box, with the space to record up to 500 hours of content. Order it here from Currys.
    Freesat Recordable 4K TV Box 2TB – Record up to 1,000 hours of content. Order it here from Currys.

“We’re delighted to introduce the next generation of set-top boxes”, said Alistair Thom, Managing Director of Freesat. “Our customers have told us that they want a solution that combines the best of free to air and On-Demand services.
    Report this ad

“That’s why we’ve developed our new 4K boxes, which allow our customers to curate all their entertainment favourites in one place whenever they want, without paying through the nose.”
    Related
    https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/freesat-launches-4k-recording-boxes/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

Am I right in thinking that to move from Sky Q to Freesat requires a change of LNB?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Pique wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that to move from Sky Q to Freesat requires a change of LNB?

no need to change anything.Should be straight swap with boxes only that you will only need 1 coax to connect freesat box unless you have hdd connect 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Sky q requires different lnb. Regular sky, Freesat will work straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

How does the "Electronic Programmes Guide can be used to ‘go back in time’ and play a show that aired up to 7 days back ?

This needs the box to be connected to broadband too yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Pique wrote: »

This new Freesat box will work with a Sky Q LNB. However any older Freesat box will only work the old-style LNB.

vidapura wrote: »
    Hiya,
    Do the Humax boxes work with saorview yeah?
    Do you get the 7 day tv programme guide and all that ?
    Thanks

No,yes u get the 7 day EPG ( looks vv good) for all the free to air channels,not saorview

How does the "Electronic Programmes Guide can be used to ‘go back in time’ and play a show that aired up to 7 days back ?

This needs the box to be connected to broadband too yes?

No via OTA,no need for broadband, you can't go back and watch programmes in the past etc unless they are recorded to inbuilt hard drive( 1 TB- mine)I player won't work

No via OTA,no need for broadband, you can't go back and watch programmes in the past etc unless they are recorded to inbuilt hard drive( 1 TB- mine)I player won't work

Ahh yeah, I knew satellite is OTA, but was confused by "Electronic Programmes Guide can be used to ‘go back in time’ and play a show that aired up to 7 days back" - but see that this function is via an app so online.

anyone know where these can be got? Only mentions Currys UK, but they are not in stock (don't know if they arrived and got sold out or have not yet arrived)

anyone know where these can be got? Only mentions Currys UK, but they are not in stock (don't know if they arrived and got sold out or have not yet arrived)
    Adverts had a few lately

Ahh yeah, I knew satellite is OTA, but was confused by "Electronic Programmes Guide can be used to ‘go back in time’ and play a show that aired up to 7 days back" - but see that this function is via an app so online.

That function is for BBC I player etc,,,,,,, reason I didn't connect to broadband was my last unit failed over their app a fault that told the Humax box ( incorrectly) that the hard drive was full,led to failure's all over

It was only launched on the 18th of April 2020 so I do not think many have them yet.

Irish supplier does not seem to be in stock yet.
    https://www.freesat.ie/catalog/category/view/s/freesat/id/52/

Belfast wrote: »
    It was only launched on the 18th of April 2020 so I do not think many have them yet.

Irish supplier does not seem to be in stock yet.
    https://www.freesat.ie/catalog/category/view/s/freesat/id/52/

It seems to be in stock with Irish supplier now.
    9a3634c9-80dd-4605-92da-4d7d0bc7c857.jpeg
    FREESAT UHD-4X Smart 4K Ultra HD Digital TV Recorder - 500 GB
    €329.95 ex vat €268.25

€389.95 ex vat €317.03
    FREESAT UHD-4X Smart 4K Ultra HD Digital TV Recorder - 1 TB

• Advertisement

what are people's views on what these offer over the old humax boxes? worth an upgrade at all?

what are people's views on what these offer over the old humax boxes? worth an upgrade at all?

What they offer is they are being made and the humax boxes are no longer being made.

Freesat 4K TV Recorder Review
    Freesat-4K-TV-Recorder-Hero-920x614.jpg
    Freesat 4K TV Recorder is a subscription-free method by which to get TV via a satellite dish – and with its Ultra HD tuners, it's future-ready, too.
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/freesat-4k-tv-recorder

Mine won't be changed its 4/5 years old now no prob

I have Humax 1100S 500GB I’m itching to buy the new model but am I wasting my money if I do or is my old box just fine?

I have Humax 1100S 500GB I’m itching to buy the new model but am I wasting my money if I do or is my old box just fine?

Yeah, this. It's really only an upgrade to 4k and it this isn't a biggy there probably is no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Yeah, this. It's really only an upgrade to 4k and it this isn't a biggy there probably is no point.

What advantage is there to having a 4K box when there is no channel broadcasting in 4K on Freesat? 4K is limited to Sky at the moment as far as I know.

I was thinking about getting the FREESAT UHD-4X Smart 4K Ultra HD Digital TV Recorder to replace a sky q box.
    I go the sky Q box for my mother a few years ago who was house bound and disabled.
    After she passed away in March I start looking for some thing to replace the sky q box that would not need a moth sub and could record like the sky box anf#d the humax look good. It only them I found out it was no longer in production.
    Then I found the FREESAT UHD-4X Smart 4K Ultra HD Digital TV Recorder. and only recently in ois in stock in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

With the Humax do you need a box for each tv or can the signal be split? Trying to find a solution to get away from Sky but also want to put an extra two tvs in a couple of bedrooms

Muahahaha wrote: »
    With the Humax do you need a box for each tv or can the signal be split? Trying to find a solution to get away from Sky but also want to put an extra two tvs in a couple of bedrooms

You can't really "split" satellite signals (you can sort of get half them on the same channel e.g. horizontal/vertical but someone can explain that more).

You could, as I did, get a quad LNB (instead of your possible dual lnb) and take 2 extra cables from the 2 new points on your dish directly into the 2 bedrooms giving you absolutely independent satellite signals for 2 new boxes in those rooms. (the reason for the dual lnb on the sky allows reception of channel and record a different channel at same time - if getting rid of sky and you don't need this function, you could drop that 2nd line directly into one bedroom without replacing the LNB at all).

• Advertisement

You can't really "split" satellite signals (you can sort of get half them on the same channel e.g. horizontal/vertical but someone can explain that more).

You could, as I did, get a quad LNB (instead of your possible dual lnb) and take 2 extra cables from the 2 new points on your dish directly into the 2 bedrooms giving you absolutely independent satellite signals for 2 new boxes in those rooms. (the reason for the dual lnb on the sky allows reception of channel and record a different channel at same time - if getting rid of sky and you don't need this function, you could drop that 2nd line directly into one bedroom without replacing the LNB at all).

Yes quad lnb

Advertisement