Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pricescanner not updating?

• 08-01-2019 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Sorry not a bargain but does anyone know what's going on with pricescanner? Doesn't seem to be updating these day. Miss it.think it was someone here that came up with the idea. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Maxiim is the boardsie who set up pricescanner - I've sent him a pm already.

fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭craggy2

ablelocks wrote: »
    fixed now.

Thanks allðŸ‘

calling maxiim, calling maxiim - arnotts (i think) boots, currys and debenhams are stuck....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Seems Debenhams and Tesco are not working at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

has Littlewoods stopped working on it ?? doesn't seem to have updated in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Looks like Halfords has stopped updating again.

Any information on pricescanner. Have Halfords and Littlewoods stopped being checked for new prices ?? No update in ages for either site. Is the user here still around involved in it.

a few store pages not working again - I've sent maxiiim a pm, but the contact email address on the site isn't working.

really hoping maxiiim is still around to fix the site ....

if anyone knows maxiiim can they let him/her know a lot of the store pages haven't updated - I've sent a pm but not sure if pms are being received...

• Advertisement

a few stores in pricescanner.ie have been stuck for a couple of days - i've sent a pm to maxiiim but posting here in case someone knows him...

anyone noticed Argos not updating ?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

davehey79 wrote: »
    anyone noticed Argos not updating ?

Yes,.it is not updating for a while

all stores are stuck for the last few days - sent pm to maxiiim and email to pricescanner, but not sure if they're being picked up...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭craggy2

Hi there, is there any chance if getting M&S fixed on the scanner please 🙏. Normally pick up some great deals at this time of year to sell for charity at Christmas Sale of Work but am missing them all this year.

if anyone knows maxiiim can they let him/her know some of the store pages haven't updated in a while - I've sent a pm but not sure if pms are being received...

great news - Maxiiim responded yesterday evening to say that he's building a new project now to replace pricescanner which will be much more convenient and robust - watch the space

he'll post here in the next few weeks when it's ready

• Registered Users Posts: 49 maxiiim

[Long Read]

Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas, all bordeies!

Max here – I’m the guy who, many years ago, wrote pricescanner.ie – yeah. It was a great time - built with perfection from the begging  - design never changed )

I remember I’ve been looking to buy something on Argos and went every day checking it, and then I thought, why wouldn’t I write a bot which checks prices. This is how it all started, and Checkargos.com inspired me[salut, Brain!]

Many of you have been using it for years. I'm still using it!

Since then, a lot of time passed – I had a chance to participate in many interesting projects and learn a lot. On a personal side, things went interesting as well. Now I’m 42 and have 5 kids – challenging at times but great overall!

In the past few years, I got interested in machine learning – 20 years ago, studying high math in college, I was thinking - about how to apply it but to have a PC was a luxury I could not afford. Now running a couple of server clusters in public clouds is easy.

I always had a problem - I'm bad at colour-matching, drawing, styles and everything which requires visual creativity. To dress up to go out - is always a challenge for me - many of you now would say - that is why wives do exist ))). Yes, and she helps me quite a lot there - if she would read this post - thank you - otherwise, I would still be running in my 20 years old Adidas hoodies and runners. I hate overspending, but I'm not Scrooge or anything like that.

Let's go back to the main topic - machine learning ) 

I have an idea to create a tool to help people like myself with the colour/style matching problem at an affordable price. Users would give context to that system. In other words, machine learning would analyse styles created by users, having the facility to virtual try cloth on in any combination and find suitable substitutions among hundreds of shops and secondhand marketplaces. 

It is not a new, wow idea - but implementation is challenging - no matter what picture and how many clothes you have - you should be able to try them on.

I and group developers - started to build such product: 

dress2save.ie 

It looks like pricescanner but for cloth. It collects and classifies cloth images and styles. We collected more than 5 million images and categorised them. Now we are experimenting with different types of machine-learning neural networks. 

Suggest what shops to add - now we can do it fast - more different images the better results should be.

The project is being financed by myself; some google ads now and some affiliates in future.

If our idea with machine learning works, we will move it to the Android and iOS apps.

What will happen with pricescanner?: it will continue to live its own life once Argos.ie is alive - from time to time, it will crash - but I will recover it as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

Hi,

currys.ie is not tracking on the pricescanner for a while. Any other reliable option available? I have to buy some home appliances and really missing this on Pricescanner

Advertisement