Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-04-2019, 23:09   #1
isthis1used

Looking to get off the tools

Hi guys and gals,
I’m working in construction but I’m starting to think about my long term health with the various chemicals and materials I’m using on a daily basis. Also the physical strain on my body will affect me at some point but by then it’ll be too late. I know I need to “get off the tools” but I don’t know what to do instead. I’m currently fabricating and fitting stone worktops and bathrooms which I do enjoy, I’m a qualified carpenter by trade and have been on sites for the last 14 years. I’m now 31 and have two kids that I need to think of. I know too many people that have been severely injured and killed while working on buildings. Does anyone have a suggestion on what route I should take or who to talk to about my situation? Has anyone here been in the same situation?
Advertisement
23-04-2019, 17:09   #2
miamee

Hi isthis1used (interesting username! )
My other half was in a trade for many years but got "off the tools" to teach the same subject to apprentices. Would that be something you are interested in? He had to do a HDip in teaching though I'm not sure if he had to have that completed before he did any teaching/filling in for others. You probably know better than I do where apprentices might learn about carpentry and fabricating etc, other thank 'on the job' if there are any courses they have to complete, might be a place to start.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion