Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-03-2019, 00:38   #421
Monokne

Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
so we'll file you're story under "Did it happen? Did it ****" aswell so.

If you just want to pretend to be English for a couple of hours a week just say that. No need to make up **** stories as your "reasons".
Given that there are quite literally millions of people all around planet Earth who follow the premier league, we are left with two possibilities. Everyone wants to pretend to be English, and you're right, or everyone wants to engage with what is arguably the highest quality league in the most popular sport on the planet, and you're wrong.

It's right in the balance, but I think I know the answer, and perhaps if you can manage to remove your head from your nether regions, you'll be able to work it out as well.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to cosplay as Winston Churchill at a tea party.
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 00:39   #422
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd973 View Post
The reasons are self evident,

Nearest strong league with high standard of football, big clubs from big cities with large fanbases, same reason why loads of Scandinavians follow Liverpool or Man Utd for instance.

Strong historical Irish connections to Merseyside and Manchester in particular.

All our outstanding players from the island have ended up there, Best, Keane, Giles, Brady, Whelan, et al

England/the U.K is regarded as the 'near abroad', I've never regarded English, Scots or Welsh folk as foreign even though they're from another jurisdiction, I don't think that's West Britishness, it's just familiarity.

Can't see why someone can't follow both a League of Ireland team and an English one, it's no big deal, the purists strike me as a bit of an odd bunch, the Shamrock Rovers hooligan types have always struck me as aping a particularly British type of behavior as well, if that was pointed out to them I'm sure it would wane a bit.
People don't support those clubs for their "Irish connections" they support them because they win stuff, or at least used to.
GB is foreign, hell I have a British passport and think it's foreign. Try live THERE and you'll be reminded of how foreign you are fairly quickly and regularly.
No reason you can't do both, but most don't and if you only do one there's really only one right choice and it's an Irish team. You whip out the ol "shamrock rovers hooligan types" there too but can you actually give examples of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico View Post
Well you might need to take a seat for what I'm about to tell you but lots of people in Norway follow the English league and they've got teams like Rosenborg who used regularly qualify for the CL group stages. A bar better domestic alternative than what the LoI offers.

And what about all the fans in Asia and Australia staying up till all hours of the morning to watch English teams. They have local leagues too.

If you don't get it you probably never will. Like an American Football fan in Ireland moaning about people watching the NFL instead of the Irish American Football League, though I haven't encountered that yet funnily enough.
As many an Irish mother has said "if everyone else was jumping off a bridge would you jump too?"
10-03-2019, 00:41   #423
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monokne View Post
Given that there are quite literally millions of people all around planet Earth who follow the premier league, we are left with two possibilities. Everyone wants to pretend to be English, and you're right, or everyone wants to engage with what is arguably the highest quality league in the most popular sport on the planet, and you're wrong.

It's right in the balance, but I think I know the answer, and perhaps if you can manage to remove your head from your nether regions, you'll be able to work it out as well.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to cosplay as Winston Churchill at a tea party.
Not the highest quality league though is it?
10-03-2019, 00:42   #424
Monokne

Quote:
Still no memory of any details then? There's charities that offer their support if you want? I can post their numbers if you want to give them a call.
Details of what?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you confusing me with someone else?
10-03-2019, 00:43   #425
Woke Hogan

Quote:
Details of what?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you confusing me with someone else?
Tired and emotional I suspect.
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 00:43   #426
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Hogan View Post
Pretend to be English? For watching a football match??? Alright you’ve clearly had a few shandies tonight. I’d say you’ll be fairly sheepish in the morning. Anyway, don’t worry about it.

Still no memory of any details then? There's charities that offer their support if you want? I can post their numbers if you want to give them a call?
10-03-2019, 00:44   #427
D14Rugby

Quote:
Details of what?

See edit
10-03-2019, 00:46   #428
Woke Hogan

Quote:
Still no memory of any details then? There's charities that offer their support if you want? I can post their numbers if you want to give them a call?
You might want to give them a call yourself, pal, judging by your recent history in this discussion. Go to bed.
10-03-2019, 00:48   #429
Monokne

Quote:
Not the highest quality league though is it?
AHAHAHAHAH you removed what you actually wrote! But not until after I'd replied. Go to bed mate.

And I said "ARGUABLY" the highest quality league so pipe down. It's top 3.
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 00:49   #430
Monokne

Quote:
See edit
HAHAHAHAAHHAHAAH

AHAHAHA

Keep going
10-03-2019, 00:49   #431
D14Rugby

Quote:
You might want to give them a call yourself, pal, judging by your recent history in this discussion. Go to bed.
Yeah in fairness to you can't expect you to remember something as trivial as who was playing where since it was over a decade ago. You must have ptsd from the "twisted faces" you poor thing.
10-03-2019, 00:49   #432
Monokne

Quote:
Tired and emotional I suspect.
Value for money all the same. Have to respect a man going down swinging
Thanks from:
10-03-2019, 00:50   #433
D14Rugby

Quote:
AHAHAHAHAH you removed what you actually wrote! But not until after I'd replied. Go to bed mate.

And I said "ARGUABLY" the highest quality league so pipe down. It's top 3.
I didn't remove it I moved it to the correct post.

And its not arguably at all, its nowhere near Spain
10-03-2019, 00:51   #434
Monokne

10-03-2019, 00:52   #435
how.gareth

Lads the league of Ireland isn’t even a sport, it’s just like darts except it’s outdoors and the players are less fat

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion