Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get off the tools

• 16-04-2019 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys and gals,
    I’m working in construction but I’m starting to think about my long term health with the various chemicals and materials I’m using on a daily basis. Also the physical strain on my body will affect me at some point but by then it’ll be too late. I know I need to “get off the tools” but I don’t know what to do instead. I’m currently fabricating and fitting stone worktops and bathrooms which I do enjoy, I’m a qualified carpenter by trade and have been on sites for the last 14 years. I’m now 31 and have two kids that I need to think of. I know too many people that have been severely injured and killed while working on buildings. Does anyone have a suggestion on what route I should take or who to talk to about my situation? Has anyone here been in the same situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hi isthis1used (interesting username! :D)
    My other half was in a trade for many years but got "off the tools" to teach the same subject to apprentices. Would that be something you are interested in? He had to do a HDip in teaching though I'm not sure if he had to have that completed before he did any teaching/filling in for others. You probably know better than I do where apprentices might learn about carpentry and fabricating etc, other thank 'on the job' if there are any courses they have to complete, might be a place to start.

Advertisement