Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Finally a decent sale on Connemara whiskey (€34 @ O'Briens). Got a couple bottles and a few Bushmill Blacks while I was at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Finally a decent sale on Connemara whiskey (€34 @ O'Briens). Got a couple bottles and a few Bushmill Blacks while I was at it.

Not being a prat, but is that something different from Black Bush?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not being a prat, but is that something different from Black Bush?!

Or maybe he knows something about Blacks of Kinsale new bottling!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Picked up a miniature of the 2001 Scapa Orkney 12yo Single Malt Scotch in celtic whiskey shop. Smooth and wonderful. Like honey rainwater.

Reminds me more of speyside than an island whisky so might be lacking a bit of kick for fans of fire and smoke.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Picked up a miniature of the 2001 Scapa Orkney 12yo Single Malt Scotch in celtic whiskey shop. Smooth and wonderful. Like honey rainwater.

Reminds me more of speyside than an island whisky so might be lacking a bit of kick for fans of fire and smoke.

Think you're mixing up island and Islay. Plenty of peat free island whisky around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Think you're mixing up island and Islay. Plenty of peat free island whisky around the place.

Cool am only starting off on my scottish exploration, recommendations from other islands much appreciated!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Seen the IPA caskmates in Supervalu today , anyone tried it?

jh79 wrote: »
    Seen the IPA caskmates in Supervalu today , anyone tried it?

It's a really nice light, everyday whiskey.
    I don't get any IPA from it but I do like it. It's less sweet than regular Jameson.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Cool am only starting off on my scottish exploration, recommendations from other islands much appreciated!

Some of the Jura stuff is very tasty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Naked Grouse from my airport purchasing last week tastes very odd to a frequent drinker of Black Bush

Has all the Oloroso notes of Black Bush coupled with a wisp of smoke. Extremely drinkable, decent value for what I paid for it (38 reduced to 28 I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Anyone done a whiskey shop while north of the border recently? I'll be in Newry Saturday and would like to pick up a bottle or two of redbreast. Not sure in sainsburys still stock it as its not on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

I saw it last week. Still 31 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Anyone done a whiskey shop while north of the border recently? I'll be in Newry Saturday and would like to pick up a bottle or two of redbreast. Not sure in sainsburys still stock it as its not on their website.

Just finished a bottle of it myself recently. Think another trip to Newry is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hi
    So I recently bought a bottle of rum online from a French supplier. I'm having a look at the tracking details and I'm not sure what's happening. Does anyone have an idea? Has it been seized by customs. The 'brenda.customs' worries me a bit but there isn't any more information for me to go on.

Friday 06/15/2018 CHRONOPOST NETWORKS
    Service achieved - Delivery runsheet available Scan location : D18 DUBLIN - IE (depot 1414)

Shipment out for delivery Scan location : D18 DUBLIN - IE (depot 1414)

Delivered Scan location : D18 DUBLIN - IE (depot 1414)
    Name of receiver : brenda.customs

Thursday 06/14/2018 CHRONOPOST NETWORKS
    Shipment in transit Scan location : ATHLONE - IE (depot 1410)

Tuesday 06/12/2018 HUB CHILLY MAZARIN CHRONOPOST
    Shipment in transit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Got a couple of bottles of Laphroaig Quarter Cask the other day from the recent Amazon deal. Lovely stuff!

Hi
    So I recently bought a bottle of rum online from a French supplier. I'm having a look at the tracking details and I'm not sure what's happening. Does anyone have an idea? Has it been seized by customs. The 'brenda.customs' worries me a bit but there isn't any more information for me to go on.

Service achieved - Delivery runsheet available Scan location : D18 DUBLIN - IE (depot 1414)

Shipment out for delivery Scan location : D18 DUBLIN - IE (depot 1414)

Delivered Scan location : D18 DUBLIN - IE (depot 1414)
    Name of receiver : brenda.customs

Thursday 06/14/2018 CHRONOPOST NETWORKS
    Shipment in transit Scan location : ATHLONE - IE (depot 1410)

Tuesday 06/12/2018 HUB CHILLY MAZARIN CHRONOPOST
    Shipment in transit
    Not looking good....... Most of the ways of getting booze from Europe without charges are now gone due to Customs crackdowns in my experience - my last continental wine supplier stopped shipping here recently.....if only people kept this stuff quiet!

Got a couple of bottles of Laphroaig Quarter Cask the other day from the recent Amazon deal. Lovely stuff!

Not looking good....... Most of the ways of getting booze from Europe without charges are now gone due to Customs crackdowns in my experience - my last continental wine supplier stopped shipping here recently.....if only people kept this stuff quiet!

Thanks for that, albiet bad news :)
    Is there a way for me to pay the duty or do I wave goodbye to that purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Thanks for that, albiet bad news :)

Ehra, you might get away with it too! I think 'officially' it should be destroyed and you can ask for a refund from the supplier (although I personally always regarded it as a risk inherent in ordering from Europe), but I have heard of people being given the chance to cough up a few bob instead - was never in that position myself though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The company you bought it from messed up. Paying Irish VAT and duty was their responsibility and if they shipped the goods without doing the paperwork properly they owe you a refund. According to Revenue there is no way for consumers to pay what's owed on excisable goods shipped inside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Ehra, you might get away with it too! I think 'officially' it should be destroyed and you can ask for a refund from the supplier (although I personally always regarded it as a risk inherent in ordering from Europe), but I have heard of people being given the chance to cough up a few bob instead - was never in that position myself though.

I had booze siezed by customs, via Parcel Motel once (I hadn't read their Ts&Cs).
    I actually got a call from a customs officer who said I could collect it from Dublin Port, but would have to pay the import/duty or whatever.

Ended up costing me a fortune overall, but it wasn't ordered from the UK to save money, it was lack of availability in Ireland, so didn't feel toooo bad.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Have you called the Delivery company?

• Advertisement

Wahoo result! DPD just contacted me to say they have it and I have a new tracking number. It's a present for a mate and can't be bought in Ireland, so I'm delighted it's ok.
    Thanks for all the replies b.t.w

Edit; I spoke way too soon. It has a tracking number but DPD say that it's also in customs. I sent a mail to importpolicy@revenue.ie . I can't seem to find a number anywhere that leads me to brenda.customs.

Great, now talk about whiskey or bugger off! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The open discussion of the methods to getting booze in duty free on this website bloody annoys me. Would ye shut up about it!!!!!!! This is an open forum free for anyone from customs to see. We dont want the channels closed!!!!!!:mad:

Hogzy wrote: »
    The open discussion of the methods to getting booze in duty free on this website bloody annoys me. Would ye shut up about it!!!!!!! This is an open forum free for anyone from customs to see. We dont want the channels closed!!!!!!:mad:

I'm always amazed that Boards seem to allow the open discussion of illegal importation of alcohol - smuggling, if you like.

It seems as if it not considered "really" illegal or not "really" smuggling but it is.

I'm always amazed that Boards seem to allow the open discussion of illegal importation of alcohol - smuggling, if you like.

It seems as if it not considered "really" illegal or not "really" smuggling but it is.

Is it illegal if the vat is paid?

Is it illegal if the vat is paid?

Yes.
    Alcohol is an excisable product. Like tobacco and fuel. If Irish duty and vat isn't paid on it, it is being illegally imported. I know of no overseas vendor that arranges this with Irish Revenue, despite claims that some do.

I know of no overseas vendor that arranges this with Irish Revenue, despite claims that some do.
    And that's the important bit: the customer is entering a good faith agreement. I think that's what makes it valid Boards content.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Opened a bottle of Method and Madness Single Pot Still last night. (Not the new Hungarian one, the older one)
    Oh my...what a drink. It has a lot going on,  the smell and the taste are just outstanding. I think I have a new favorite. I need to get another bottle of this soon!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »
    And that's the important bit: the customer is entering a good faith agreement. I think that's what makes it valid Boards content.

But use of transhipment services in full knowledge that you're attempting to evade seizure hasn't got a shred of good faith in it at all. And that is discussed.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    But use of transhipment services in full knowledge that you're attempting to evade seizure hasn't got a shred of good faith in it at all. And that is discussed.
    Is it? I see people discussing Parcel Motel etc, but not specifically for the purpose of evading customs, and usually being told that it's against the company's T&Cs, which themselves are not the law.

Bottom line: it should be, and can be, legal to buy booze from abroad online, and as long as that remains the case it's a fair topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement