Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brides Glen to Bray

• 03-01-2018 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi,

I've recently moved to Dublin (living in Leopardstown) and need to get to Bray main street for 9am, Monday to Friday.

Just wondering what you guys in the know would suggest I do to get from Brides Glen to Bray main street.

The Luas seems most convenient for my needs but stops at Brides Glen. I've no problem walking for a while to get a bus etc...

Can a bicycle be brought on the Luas or is this completely out of the question?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

No bikes allowed on the Luas, unless you want to buy a cheap bike and lock it in Brides Glen.

Where in Leopardstown do you live could you walk to the N11 and catch a more frequent 145? If going to Bray from Brides Glen catch the 84/A to Bray it stops at bus stop at the Luas stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You can bring a fold-up bike on the Luas can't you? But yeah walking to the N11 and getting the 145 would be best.

You should really put your exact details into www.a-b.ie to get your options, what one person calls Leopardstown might not equate with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

Hi,

I've recently moved to Dublin (living in Leopardstown) and need to get to Bray main street for 9am, Monday to Friday.

Just wondering what you guys in the know would suggest I do to get from Brides Glen to Bray main street.

The Luas seems most convenient for my needs but stops at Brides Glen. I've no problem walking for a while to get a bus etc...

Can a bicycle be brought on the Luas or is this completely out of the question?

Thank you
    You could take a Luas to Cherrywood, walk 5 minutes to the flyover on the N11 at Wyattville Road, and take a 145 from there into Bray. Or as people already said, depending where you live in Leopardstown, it might be easier to just walk to the N11 and get a 145 from there.

You could also consider cycling directly, it wouldn't be too much extra from Leopardstown to Bray than cycling from Cherrywood to Bray or could you could also cycle to 145 and leave your bike there if walking is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Walk from Cherrywood to the Wyatville road stop for the 145* (more frequent) or the 84 from the Luas stop if you timed it right.

Be aware that, in total defiance of all common sense, neither stop has (despite being at a busy interchange):
    • Timers
    • Shelters

....even though Dublin Bus JUST built the 7 and 84 bus stops at the Luas station recently it never occurred to them to put actual shelters or seats up...at this busy interchange...up a hill...where ice cold winds howl down on you with no protection and there is no alternative shelter from rain nearby...because the people who run transport in this country are, and always have been, morons.

*there is a shortcut from Cherrywood, go from the Luas stop straight down the ramp thing, then into the housing estate facing you, turn right just where there is a shed and go straight straight straight then left at the end of the courtyard around the apartments then you'll come to top of the hill and see the stop in distance, turn right and you're on the path it's obvious from there, sounds longer than it is it's a fast walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    even though Dublin Bus JUST built the 7 and 84 bus stops at the Luas station recently it never occurred to them to put actual shelters or seats up...at this busy interchange...up a hill...where ice cold winds howl down on you with no protection and there is no alternative shelter from rain nearby...because the people who run [public] transport ...
    ... don't use public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Stephen15 wrote: »
    No bikes allowed on the Luas, unless you want to buy a cheap bike and lock it in Brides Glen.

Where in Leopardstown do you live could you walk to the N11 and catch a more frequent 145? If going to Bray from Brides Glen catch the 84/A to Bray it stops at bus stop at the Luas stop.

It's a pity the Luas wasn't designed with bike transport in mind.

Locking a cheap one up in Brides Glen somewhere might be an option, although I doubt the bike would last long before being stolen regardless of quality.

I live on the Ballyogan road, near Dunnes Stores.

Thanks, so one option is:

A.) Luas to Brides Glen then bus (84/A) from Brides Glen Luas stop to Bray town centre.

Thanks

You can bring a fold-up bike on the Luas can't you? But yeah walking to the N11 and getting the 145 would be best.

You should really put your exact details into www.a-b.ie to get your options, what one person calls Leopardstown might not equate with others.

Thanks, good to know about the fold up bike although I won't be able to purchase one at the minute.

I checked out www.a-b.ie it seems to suggest the same as most on here i.e. Luas to Brides Glen then walk to 145 bus (see attachment).

I would also be interested in ride sharing too, don't know if you guys do this up here but it is a big thing where I am from down in the sticks :-)

Breezer wrote: »
    You could take a Luas to Cherrywood, walk 5 minutes to the flyover on the N11 at Wyattville Road, and take a 145 from there into Bray. Or as people already said, depending where you live in Leopardstown, it might be easier to just walk to the N11 and get a 145 from there.

I am up in the Leopardstown valley direction (Ballyogan road), I think this is a bit out of my way. Thanks for the input though, I should have been clearer on my exact location from the beginning.

You could also consider cycling directly, it wouldn't be too much extra from Leopardstown to Bray than cycling from Cherrywood to Bray or could you could also cycle to 145 and leave your bike there if walking is not an option.

Thanks but I train in the morning right before work and again right afterwards, I want to spend a bit of time being lazy and getting transported from A->B :-)

• Advertisement

Walk from Cherrywood to the Wyatville road stop for the 145* (more frequent) or the 84 from the Luas stop if you timed it right.

Be aware that, in total defiance of all common sense, neither stop has (despite being at a busy interchange):
    • Timers
    • Shelters

....even though Dublin Bus JUST built the 7 and 84 bus stops at the Luas station recently it never occurred to them to put actual shelters or seats up...at this busy interchange...up a hill...where ice cold winds howl down on you with no protection and there is no alternative shelter from rain nearby...because the people who run transport in this country are, and always have been, morons.

*there is a shortcut from Cherrywood, go from the Luas stop straight down the ramp thing, then into the housing estate facing you, turn right just where there is a shed and go straight straight straight then left at the end of the courtyard around the apartments then you'll come to top of the hill and see the stop in distance, turn right and you're on the path it's obvious from there, sounds longer than it is it's a fast walk.

Ha, ha, thanks, looking forward to the ice cold, howling winds :-)

Does the route I have mapped (see attachment) correspond with shortcut you mentioned?

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

I am up in the Leopardstown valley direction (Ballyogan road), I think this is a bit out of my way. Thanks for the input though, I should have been clearer on my exact location from the beginning.
    From there I'd definitely take the Luas to Cherrywood (not Bride's Glen, they're close enough but Cherrywood will be slightly quicker) and then walk to the flyover and get a 145. I wouldn't bother with the 84/A unless one happens to arrive first when you're at the stop. They're not frequent enough and they do mad things up around that neck of the woods. See this thread .

Breezer wrote: »
    From there I'd definitely take the Luas to Cherrywood (not Bride's Glen, they're close enough but Cherrywood will be slightly quicker) and then walk to the flyover and get a 145. I wouldn't bother with the 84/A unless one happens to arrive first when you're at the stop. They're not frequent enough and they do mad things up around that neck of the woods. See this thread .

Maybe the OP could keep an eye on the DB app while he/she is on the Luas and if there isin't a 84/a in the next 10 mins walk to the 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks but I train in the morning right before work and again right afterwards, I want to spend a bit of time being lazy and getting transported from A->B :-)
    Not sure what type training you do. , but LUAS to brides glen a session in Ben Dunnes and then the bus might be the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

• Timers
    • Shelters

....even though Dublin Bus JUST built the 7 and 84 bus stops at the Luas station recently it never occurred to them to put actual shelters or seats up...at this busy interchange...up a hill...where ice cold winds howl down on you with no protection and there is no alternative shelter from rain nearby...because the people who run transport in this country are, and always have been, morons..

Dublin Bus don't actually erect bus shelters on the network. If you want to blame anybody then blame JC Decaux, with a bit of the NTA thrown in for good measure.

http://www.jcdecaux.ie/jcdecaux-sign-the-first-national-bus-shelter-advertising-contract-in-the-republic-of-ireland/

Advertisement