Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018/2019 Off-Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

He’s looking for $15m to stay now. Oakland would have to give him a major league contract to do so which would mean putting him on the 40 man and therefore using his first year of options before he’s even faced a pitch. They really must think he’s a sure thing if they do it.

I think the extra money was later shown to be an inaccurate report - latest reports are that it's more to do with making sure he doesn't spend three years knocking around the minors.

It is interesting to think of the differences between drafting in MLB and all other major sports. In NBA/NHL/NFL, it's very easy (if you are good) to start playing at the top level straight away, whereas MLB is the only one that has this concept of having to do time in the minors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think the extra money was later shown to be an inaccurate report - latest reports are that it's more to do with making sure he doesn't spend three years knocking around the minors.

It is interesting to think of the differences between drafting in MLB and all other major sports. In NBA/NHL/NFL, it's very easy (if you are good) to start playing at the top level straight away, whereas MLB is the only one that has this concept of having to do time in the minors.

I'd be more concerned about the stipulation that he doesn't spend 3 years in the minors than the money. If he's good enough, he'll earn his call up whereas with this, they might be forced to bring him up even if he isn't ready.

Baseball prospects are harder to predict too (Trout, Harper etc. excluded). There are more 'misses' on high draft picks in baseball than there is in the NFL.

He declared for the NFL draft anyway and has let the A's know he wants to play football.

Will be interesting to see how this one pans out

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1084909319576043520

Losing Murray to the NFL will be disappointing for MLB I suppose.

But as they wanted to restrict the money draftees can get and persist in paying minor leaguers pittance, you can understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Losing Murray to the NFL will be disappointing for MLB I suppose.

But as they wanted to restrict the money draftees can get and persist in paying minor leaguers pittance, you can understand why.

Money talks ...

• Advertisement

About 3 weeks until pitchers and catchers report and still Machado and Harper remain unsigned.

White Sox offered Machado a 7 year $175 million deal, his agent but out a statement basically calling the reports a lie (which probably means they are true). Nothing on Harper though.

About 3 weeks until pitchers and catchers report and still Machado and Harper remain unsigned.

White Sox offered Machado a 7 year $175 million deal, his agent but out a statement basically calling the reports a lie (which probably means they are true). Nothing on Harper though.

Harper’s a Boras client so I wouldn’t expect any news until he actually signs. And he’ll still find a way to get him a huge contract.

Harper’s a Boras client so I wouldn’t expect any news until he actually signs. And he’ll still find a way to get him a huge contract.

He deserves a big contract, the $300m mark might not be i but he will ge a huge contract and he will probably end up justifying most of it.

I feel like he might end up back in Washington at the moment on about 10 years and 25 a year.

He deserves a big contract, the $300m mark might not be i but he will ge a huge contract and he will probably end up justifying most of it.

I feel like he might end up back in Washington at the moment on about 10 years and 25 a year.

The Nationals previously offered him 300m and 10 years though? I think given his age and profile he is probably worth more than 25m a year. Closest comparison I think is the Stanton contract which was avg 25m a year but was also signed 4 years ago and baseball owners now have more money.

Honestly this feels like the owners are not giving out contracts to FA like they used to and to which the players feel entitled.

• Advertisement

This off season really has been something else. It looks like it's becoming the norm.
    There was so much talk last year, that people were staying quiet so they could make a move for Harper and Macahado.

Now it looks like Manny could end up at the White Sox, and Harper could stay with the Nats. Not what anyone was really expecting

The Nationals previously offered him 300m and 10 years though? I think given his age and profile he is probably worth more than 25m a year. Closest comparison I think is the Stanton contract which was avg 25m a year but was also signed 4 years ago and baseball owners now have more money.

Honestly this feels like the owners are not giving out contracts to FA like they used to and to which the players feel entitled.

The Nationals did not offer 300m and 10 years , if they had he'd be signed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭boccy23

I think it will be very interesting when someone does sign. Then the second one, Harper or Machado, will be left with very little leverage.

As it stands, I expect the teams are using this leverage against each of them to keep the salaries down. If not the yearly rate, certainly the length.

As stated, Scott Boras has always tried to be the last and then by definition, a desperate team will pay more. It didn't work with last years FA class and I don't expect it will work this year.

The reality for Machado is that while he is a great player, 3B does not have the need that other positions do.

Different case for Harper, but his case is far from flawless.

The Nationals did not offer 300m and 10 years , if they had he'd be signed already.

I don’t think he would. Boras rarely lets his big name players sign early and definitely not for one of the first offers he’s received.

I still think he’ll be back as a Nat though.

I don’t think he would. Boras rarely lets his big name players sign early and definitely not for one of the first offers he’s received.

I still think he’ll be back as a Nat though.

This. The Nationals offer was widely reported as 300m and 10 years but was also made on the last day of the regular season. He was very unlikely to sign it which is maybe why it was offered.

Hall of Fame this year is Rivera, Martinez, Halladay and Mussina. Rivera the first player to get 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,911 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Great to see Edgar Martinez get in. That street that's named after him in Seattle will last a long time....

Why is it the 1st guy ever to get in unanimously....played for the Y*****s :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

This. The Nationals offer was widely reported as 300m and 10 years but was also made on the last day of the regular season. He was very unlikely to sign it which is maybe why it was offered.

I wonder will the Players Union intervene if the trend continues. Realistically you can't force teams to sign veteran Free Agents to big money, multi year deals if they don't want to splash the cash.

I think that ultimately Free Agents will have to change their expectations

ShyMets wrote: »
    I wonder will the Players Union intervene if the trend continues. Realistically you can't force teams to sign veteran Free Agents to big money, multi year deals if they don't want to splash the cash.

I think that ultimately Free Agents will have to change their expectations

There’s a new CBA due in a couple of years I think but you’re right, players are going to have to lower their expectations.

The number of trades is up considerably this season so teams seem to prefer going down that route as opposed to signing free agents.

Following on from PJ Conlsn, the Mets have another Irish pitcher in their system. And I use their term Irish loosely. Don’t know for sure but probably only played for Ireland because of heritage or something.

https://twitter.com/mikemayermmo/status/1087865226027065344?s=21

• Advertisement

Probably right, it was probably somewhere close to that mark as thinking back they offered him something close the previous year on an extension.

I was wrong on the previous statement as I was thinking 400m which is what Boras was apparently looking for.

I think he ends up back with us though and I think thats a positive for the club and the player. We give him an immediate opportunity to win and he does likewise for the club.

Probably right, it was probably somewhere close to that mark as thinking back they offered him something close the previous year on an extension.

I was wrong on the previous statement as I was thinking 400m which is what Boras was apparently looking for.

I think he ends up back with us though and I think thats a positive for the club and the player. We give him an immediate opportunity to win and he does likewise for the club.

The one risk for the Nats is if they backload any long term deal. They’re already on the hook for $15m a year for Scherzer for 7 years after his contract ends and $10m a year for 7 years after Strasburg leaves. That’s $25m a year for players not on your roster so do they want another $25-30m tied up in one player?

The one risk for the Nats is if they backload any long term deal. They’re already on the hook for $15m a year for Scherzer for 7 years after his contract ends and $10m a year for 7 years after Strasburg leaves. That’s $25m a year for players not on your roster so do they want another $25-30m tied up in one player?

yes is the uncomplicated answer.

It's not like you can go out and bring in a Harper for less than that.

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1087885370048606209

Interesting that he doesn't actually like Metallica. From the NY Post.

Despite being eternally attached to “Enter Sandman,” Rivera actually isn’t a fan of Metallica, as his Christian beliefs keep him away from heavy metal. “With all due respect to the guys, I’ve never been to one of [their shows],” Rivera told the NY Post. “As a Christian, with all due respect to Metallica, I don’t listen to that kind of music.”

Looks like Pollack's signing with the Dodgers. One less suitor for Harper then.

Looks like Pollack's signing with the Dodgers. One less suitor for Harper then.

Interesting side effect of that trade: Diamondbacks now have 6 picks out of the first 79 picks (or so) in the draft this year.

There’s a new CBA due in a couple of years I think but you’re right, players are going to have to lower their expectations.

Why should the players lower their expectations if the franchises are becoming more valuable and revenue keeps growing?

Why should the players lower their expectations if the franchises are becoming more valuable and revenue keeps growing?

Owners have all the leverage at the moment and aren't giving out massive contracts like they used to. Harper and Machado will still get paid but the next level guys are the ones losing out.

Hall of Fame this year is Rivera, Martinez, Halladay and Mussina. Rivera the first player to get 100%.

Does it really matter anymore? The hall I mean in general, there is no Pete Rose, Barry Bonds or Roger Clemons. So it's the hall that excludes three of the best to ever play the game.

It's annoying at this point.

• Advertisement

Advertisement