Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC SecureComm yearly subscription fee

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 vurstflavor

For any alarm you can replace the phone dialer yourself try ebay
    Then buy monitoring
    I would not use monitoring and use alarm as deterant
    Most pros can bypass alarm I have seen others just kick door in and get in and out in 10 minutes you better off buying some cameras that send you videos the call garda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

redeye101 wrote: »
    Just wondering wondering what the difference between the standard and premium services?

Thanks

Your system polls more with the premium service and in most cases your installer will provide remote diagnostics, programming etc.

For any alarm you can replace the phone dialer yourself try ebay
    Then buy monitoring
    I would not use monitoring and use alarm as deterant
    Most pros can bypass alarm I have seen others just kick door in and get in and out in 10 minutes you better off buying some cameras that send you videos the call garda

" Most Pro's can bypass an alarm "

Really ?

Well with 30 years in this business under my belt I find that you pay for what you get and if your solution here is to recommend diallers to be connected to phone lines which are gradually being phased out I can see alright how anyone let alone a " Pro " can bypass such systems.

If you have witnessed people kicking in doors and breaking into premises, I hope you have reported these incidents to Gardai.

• Hello, as mentioned I’m being billed yearly for the above. A security firm installed an alarm system for me a year ago and is now looking for yearly payments of €100 euro to maintain access to the app for me. They do not provide any monitoring but, using the app, they can periodically update the software on the alarm system.

The 100 euro does not include the annual servicing of the system.

I’m wondering if there’s any way I can manage the app myself and free myself from this expense. I paid for the hardware and installation and suspect the security company is just an unnecessary middle man at this point.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rogy

Hello, as mentioned I’m being billed yearly for the above. A security firm installed an alarm system for me a year ago and is now looking for yearly payments of €100 euro to maintain access to the app for me. They do not provide any monitoring but, using the app, they can periodically update the software on the alarm system.

The 100 euro does not include the annual servicing of the system.

I’m wondering if there’s any way I can manage the app myself and free myself from this expense. I paid for the hardware and installation and suspect the security company is just an unnecessary middle man at this point.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi,

Have you found a solution?

I'm in a similar situation, I paid for a HKC system to be installed and I just want to be able to turn on and off my alarm from my phone but they are looking for a yearly subscription just so I can monitor the alarm through their app. Surely there has to be something out there that you can buy to turn your alarm system into a smart system to monitor it yourself through an app like smart life or tuya.

I came across a site where someone used an adrunio to mimic a HKC keypad so you could enter codes from a web browser ("Internet Enable a HKC Home Alarm"). There has to be something out there to be able to do this yourself without having to pay the subscription fees.

• Advertisement

Rogy wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in a similar situation, I paid for a HKC system to be installed and I just want to be able to turn on and off my alarm from my phone

You could buy the GSM dialer off adverts/dondeal for around 50e and use that.
    You need the engineers code to set it up so make sure you have it before buying one .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

Rogy wrote: »
    Hi,

Have you found a solution?

I'm in a similar situation, I paid for a HKC system to be installed and I just want to be able to turn on and off my alarm from my phone but they are looking for a yearly subscription just so I can monitor the alarm through their app. Surely there has to be something out there that you can buy to turn your alarm system into a smart system to monitor it yourself through an app like smart life or tuya.

I came across a site where someone used an adrunio to mimic a HKC keypad so you could enter codes from a web browser ("Internet Enable a HKC Home Alarm"). There has to be something out there to be able to do this yourself without having to pay the subscription fees.

If you had a smart switch with a dry contact relay you could set up a zone for arm/disarm and do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Declan1

Sorry to drag up an old thread… Our alarm provider is putting up the monthly fee for the app to €20 per month. Is this about the going rate?

If I were you I would enquire as to what is included in that € 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Declan1

All that’s included is “Connection of alarm via gsm network to the alarm company hub” and use of the app.

Is there a better option to maintain app access?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That's pretty steep for a service that costs €5.50 PM . Shop around would be my advice.

And that is an assumption that it is set up on the lowest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭fuse

I've been paying the SecureComm subscription myself directly (5.58x12 = 67eur per year)

Realising my installer is trying to charge 90eur per year for "maintenance".

I've had no dealings with them in the last 2+ years and have paid them for any work they carried out in my home.

I don't think this is reasonable. Especially the fact that it doesn't even cover the monthly app charge.

I would expect to pay this fee if I needed a callout or remote assistance but I haven't. I change the batteries myself when needed to avoid a callout charge. Or should I expect them to come and change a battery under annual maintenance?

Can I just opt-out of this "annual maintenance"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I want to renew my securecomm subscription, anyone have a steer for who to contact? I wouldn't mind paying a small excess over the HKC price but I've change the batteries etc. Myself so wouldn't really need a full service package.

I did try contacting the company who fitted my alarm (or at least the company who subcontracted out to fit my alarm) but they haven't got back to me as yet after several days.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mark23

How do you pay this direct? I don't see any option on the website or app. I have the engineers code so I guess it is easy enough to set up?

If you are not an installer select unbranded.

Then it should ask for payment details at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Hey, is this to sign up for remote monitoring and pay HKC directly? If so, could you point me to where it's possible to do that? The only signup page I can find on HKC's site is where you can apply for an account, and they want a PSA number for that. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭feelings

Have HKC increased their monthly fee? I'm only seeing 9.99 (standard) or 12.99 (premium) via the link above.

If you are setting this up yourself as an end user, that is what they charge you per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I knocked mine on the head, my alarm has no notifications now. I have cctv covering likely entry points and indoor cameras, and get notifications from them for free, so I'm reasonably content with that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

ive been paying €67 a year around this time every year for the last number of years, its automatically taken from my account once a year, surely if there has been an increase, they'd need to have informed me in advance, Ive had no correspondence with them since I set the payment up back in 2019 I think.

What increase?

Did they charge you more than the €67?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Haven been charged yet, however only option I see on their website is a monthly fee now. I’m due to be charged in the next week or so I think.

That is the new fee for end users signing up as apposed to having an installer do it for them.

Old accounts should remain the same fee as before.

Advertisement