Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HKC SecureComm yearly subscription fee

Options
  • 03-01-2020 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Sentinel HKC wireless alarm system. I pay my installer €147.6 a year for the HKC SecureComm Service.
    But the SecureComm Service is only €66.96 a year for the standard level and €91.08 a year for the premium level.
    So what can I do to pay the correct amount? Can I contact HKC?

Maybe KoolKid or altor could help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Hi,

I have a Sentinel HKC wireless alarm system. I pay my installer €147.6 a year for the HKC SecureComm Service.
    But the SecureComm Service is only €66.96 a year for the standard level and €91.08 a year for the premium level.

A lot of installers will bill you directly well over securecomm prices and pay hkc/securecomm themselves. Your problem will be that the gsm unit in your alarm will be registered to sentinel and not yourself. Best bet is ring around and see will another installer reset it for you and set you up directly with securecomm . The cost for domestic is €5.50 a month i believe. Its a scam for sure and people need to wake up a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi,

You would need the engineer code to set up an account on the system yourself.
    With this you can delete the ID they have used and enter your own.

Its a scam for sure and people need to wake up a tad.

I wouldn't call it a scam.

Most will charge extra to cover costs of servicing the alarm system be that for software upgrades, remote service.

altor wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a scam.

Most will charge extra to cover costs of servicing the alarm system be that for software upgrades, remote service.

I have come across people paying €200 a year simply for use of app and self monitoring - no maintenance included. Its a scam in my eyes to be skimming so much off the top in a contract that does not need a middle man . But its an opinion is all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I have come across people paying €200 a year simply for use of app and self monitoring - no maintenance included. Its a scam in my eyes to be skimming so much off the top in a contract that does not need a middle man . But its an opinion is all

Well there is that saying about fools and their money.

• Advertisement

I still wouldn't call it a scam.
    They are paying for the use of the app, like everything shopping around always throws up different prices so that is what I would recommend.

As Altor said, consumers have a choice, always best to shop around.

How many people have you come across paying 200 E per year ? Were there hundreds of them? Were they all customers of the same company ?

Look up the meaning of the word scam, I do not think that your use of the word scam is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

kub wrote:
    How many people have you come across paying 200 E per year ? Were there hundreds of them? Were they all customers of the same company ?

So the quantity of people getting scammed is what's important ? Even one is too many !

hatchman wrote: »
    So the quantity of people getting scammed is what's important ? Even one is too many !

Again as I said previous, it would be no harm at all if some here would look up the word scam to see what it actually means ;).

A fool and their money are easily parted, no matter how many of which I am very interested in finding out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

A lot of installers will bill you directly well over securecomm prices and pay hkc/securecomm themselves. Your problem will be that the gsm unit in your alarm will be registered to sentinel and not yourself. Best bet is ring around and see will another installer reset it for you and set you up directly with securecomm . The cost for domestic is €5.50 a month i believe. Its a scam for sure and people need to wake up a tad.

It is not a scam. Most installers will charge you a fee for setting it up , managing it and providing remote service. Why would we do that for nothing.

• Advertisement

Drifter50 wrote: »
    It is not a scam. Most installers will charge you a fee for setting it up , managing it and providing remote service. Why would we do that for nothing.

With the amount of free help that people get on these threads, I suppose many feel we should not make a living and do everything for charity.

It’s a scam - there is no work for installers in it - its a direct connection from the clients to securecomm. I notice a few installers in here trying to divert attention and deflect but the truth of the matter is that anything over the €5.50 per month that securecomm charge for a domestic connection is skimming .

I have already mentioned that perhaps your use of the word scam was inappropriate, so just to help you I have the meaning of it here ;

Definition of scam

(Entry 1 of 2)

: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operationan insurance scam

scam

verb

scammed; scamming

Definition of scam (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb

1: DECEIVE, DEFRAUD

So you are suggesting Fraud here, which is slanderous.

I am not sure how boards feel about such comments so I am going now to report your post and let one of the mods take it up.

Don’t be facetious.

I will let you look that up yourself. Why do you defend so vigorously this practice ?

Do you think those who partake in such practice fully explain to their customers the breakdown of all funds collected in such practice ?

Certainly not one that I came across knew their installation company was dipping monthly into their pocket from afar.

There is a reason my company is thriving after almost 40 years - it’s simple honesty.

kub wrote: »
    I have already mentioned that perhaps your use of the word scam was inappropriate, so just to help you I have the meaning of it here ;

Definition of scam

(Entry 1 of 2)

: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operationan insurance scam

scam

verb

scammed; scamming

Definition of scam (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb

1: DECEIVE, DEFRAUD

So you are suggesting Fraud here, which is slanderous.

I am not sure how boards feel about such comments so I am going now to report your post and let one of the mods take it up.

Ahh the reported post - the last plead of those who have no leg to stand on and want a voice of clarity quietened. Feel free my good man but it says more about you than me.

It’s a scam - there is no work for installers in it - its a direct connection from the clients to securecomm. I notice a few installers in here trying to divert attention and deflect but the truth of the matter is that anything over the €5.50 per month that securecomm charge for a domestic connection is skimming .

What is your problem. Clients with the HKC APP have the option of going with the installers branded option of their own non branded alternative. If they do that they won`t get support from the installer on the APP included as part of the service. Why on earth would we ( the installers ) take phone calls from customers, provide on line support etc etc etc for nothing. We are not running a charity, we are trying to run a business and perfectly entitled to be paid for the support we provide to our customers.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    What is your problem. Clients with the HKC APP have the option of going with the installers branded option of their own non branded alternative. If they do that they won`t get support from the installer on the APP included as part of the service. Why on earth would we ( the installers ) take phone calls from customers, provide on line support etc etc etc for nothing. We are not running a charity, we are trying to run a business and perfectly entitled to be paid for the support we provide to our customers.

Did you tell them you were taking all but €5.50 of what they pay per month ?

Did you tell them you were taking all but €5.50 of what they pay per month ?

Oh yes, I tell all my customers my margins.

FGS, perhaps one should dismount one`s high horse

Ahh the reported post - the last plead of those who have no leg to stand on and want a voice of clarity quietened. Feel free my good man but it says more about you than me.

I have reported your post and it is now in the hands of the mods.

Are you suggesting that I am a scam artist and that I am committing a fraudulent act on my customers?

Are you suggesting that I am a scam artist and that I am committing a fraudulent act on my customers?

You are a pity my friend.

• Advertisement

Well then I’m pretty sure you have nothing to hide so good luck to you.

Well then I’m pretty sure you have nothing to hide so good luck to you.

Do you understand the question?

Do you understand the question?

Don’t feel like you have to justify yourself to me kid , i don’t know you . However i dont like your attitude and have bored of you quicker than usual . Bye bye now .

Don’t feel like you have to justify yourself to me kid , i don’t know you . However i dont like your attitude and have bored of you quicker than usual . Bye bye now .

So you come on here and you accuse each and every installer of fraud, then admit there that you have no idea who I am.
    Immaterial of knowing who I am, you still think that you have the right to call me some sort of an underhand business person and that I am committing fraud on my own customers .

Then you walk away.

That says a lot.

So you come on here and you accuse each and every installer of fraud, then admit there that you have no idea who I am.
    Immaterial of knowing who I am, you still think that you have the right to call me some sort of an underhand business person and that I am committing fraud on my own customers .

Then you walk away.

That says a lot.

Not walking away - have a 5am appointment . But ok i’ll answer you .
    No i have no idea who you are - nor do i care.
    I have never used the word fraud. That is all your doing.
    I have never used the word underhand.
    You are surely an adult ? Time you start acting like one .
    Maybe report this post so you can feel you won an internet debate against an obvious superior ? I’ll leave your next move to you obviously but i personally feel you have taken up more than enough of my time with your overly strenuous denials of things i never accused you of. Can’t fathom why a person would act so ....

Again . Bye bye .

Not walking away - have a 5am appointment . But ok i’ll answer you .
    No i have no idea who you are - nor do i care.
    I have never used the word fraud. That is all your doing.
    I have never used the word underhand.
    You are surely an adult ? Time you start acting like one .
    Maybe report this post so you can feel you won an internet debate against an obvious superior ? I’ll leave your next move to you obviously but i personally feel you have taken up more than enough of my time with your overly strenuous denials of things i never accused you of. Can’t fathom why a person would act so ....

Again . Bye bye .

You used the word scam.

I suggest in future that you use words which you actually understand the meaning of.

I do not care who you are either, but I will challenge anyone who labels anyone in my profession a scam artist.
    You have no idea of what each and every installer who connects their customers to the secure comm service, charge them and neither have you any idea of the service they receive.
    So your point is invalid
    I agree you are superior alright, however I feel my thinking of what you are superior at and mine are probably at either end of the spectrum.

You used the word scam.

I suggest in future that you use words which you actually understand the meaning of.

I do not care who you are either, but I will challenge anyone who labels anyone in my profession a scam artist.
    You have no idea of what each and every installer who connects their customers to the secure comm service, charge them and neither have you any idea of the service they receive.
    So your point is invalid
    I agree you are superior alright, however I feel my thinking of what you are superior at and mine are probably at either end of the spectrum.

Do you feel the need the “win” a faceless debate ? You have already been put in your place . Just move on .

Do you feel the need the “win” a faceless debate ? You have already been put in your place . Just move on .

I have already made my points.
    I have no idea what you are on about with reference to " place " and " win ".

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok guys this has run its course.

IMO there is a discussion point here.

It's not a pleasant set of posts, but I can't see why it's not ok to discuss the issue.

There are two or three offerings in this space that get their costs pulled apart regularly.

If I was to be fair here, i could read into the phone watch type posts and ban half the installers that pull their offering apart regularly.

There have been some good points here, it is a simple connection to a third party and people should be paid for setting these things up too, it's a discussion point that general users might want information on.

There should be me need to make accusations while making a well informed point

That said, it would be best to keep this civil please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

Hi,

Just wondering wondering what the difference between the standard and premium services?

Thanks

Advertisement