Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Mater19001.jpg

Today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

attachment.php?attachmentid=62335&stc=1&d=1220216847

I'm guessing sometime approaching Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 histografica

Hello,
    if you like the pictures in this thread, you may also be interested in http://www.histografica.com
    This is a new portal with old pictures from Dublin, Ireland and the whole world that we have only just released. We hope you enjoy and feel free to add your own pictures there too.

Hello,
    if you like the pictures in this thread, you may also be interested in http://www.histografica.com
    This is a new portal with old pictures from Dublin, Ireland and the whole world that we have only just released. We hope you enjoy and feel free to add your own pictures there too.

Had a very quick look through, looks like a fantastic site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

A friend sent me this today. I know O'Connell Street's been done already, but I thought this was a nice pic..

2766253838_eff7a364cc_o.jpg

thats off this site. there is loads of old pics of dublin there as well as some new ones

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lots of photos of the North Strand area following the bombing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Do you recognise yourself.... or a friend?

Forty years of Dublin street life.

Rashers wrote: »

Fantastic - Johnny Eagles, Saab 900 Turbo burnt out in 'Da flats' & a few skinz..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Gas thing is, if you walk up and down Grafton St on any given day, you'll see most of those fashions, styles and haircuts still on the go!!

A view from Matt Talbot Bridge down the Liffey in 1989.

Were they the last two Guinness boats?

Be good to see a pic taken from the same spot and angle now.

April1989.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Indeed they were the last Guinness boats, the Lady Patricia and the Miranda.
    For those interested there is a very good website with more information on the Guinness boats http://www.irishships.com/guinness_boats.htm

There is also a fascinating account of the sinking of the Barkley, with a full cargo of Guinness off the Kish in 1917 by a German U-Boat, provided by a survivor named Thomas McClue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Theres an exhibition in the in Temple Bar with some interesting old pictures from around Dublin and Ireland. Old pics of Aer Lingus and a few from around town. Worth a look and its free... Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    Crash%20at%20Harcourt%20St%20Station%201910.jpg

Some video from the big whiteout in '85.

Taken in Tallaght.

Merchants Arch 1960.
    merchantsarch1960.jpg

Now here's one for yiz. Whats the name of that alley that leads from the arch to Temple Bar? No one seems to know, not even the emergency services.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's a good one.
    Without knowing the name of any businesses in it, it's hard to look up the old directories I have.
    Merchant's Arch lane is the best I can guess.

Think I've a few old Thoms Directories. I'll see if I can come up with a business and name.

I suspect that alley once continued through the grounds at the back of the old Ouzel Galley building and out into Dame Street.... if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MYTOTE

NERCHANTS LANE? where'd you get the pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The River Club was one of the businesses on it iirc, upstairs, might still be there. Was an Abrakebabra there too at one stage but it's been closed for years. They've been trying to turn it into a pub for years.

A view from Matt Talbot Bridge down the Liffey in 1989.

Be good to see a pic taken from the same spot and angle now.

Not from the exact spot.

I took these on the way out last night, the light wasn't great but here ya go.

Someone was looking for a photo of the Ulster Bank (I think in this thread) so I included that too.

PM me if you want the full sized photos.

attachment.php?attachmentid=64018&stc=1&d=1222679878

I wanted to take photos to complete a 360 degree view from the spot I was standing, but the usual shower of Junkies where loitering on Custom House Quay and I didn't want a confrontation with them. Their sensitive about people taking their photos - poor souls!.

They're great pics. Thanks for taking them. The difference along City Quay from my childhood.. amazing! The only recognisable part now (from back then) is the old chapel.

Not an old one but I thought an interesting one. And as it's a clip of a part of Dublin now gone it's on topic. A time lapse vid of Thomas Clarke Tower coming down in Ballymun.

Keep your eyes open, I'll be asking a question at the end.:p

And the question is....

How many days have you just seen passing? :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

And the question is....
    How many days have you just seen passing? :P

No, lost count after a few - at least a week anyway 'cos the market appeared twice. Maybe 10 days?

Cool video by the way.

I counted
    twenty
    days. Think it needs someone with a sharp eye for this one. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Nice one rashers with the Thomas Clark tower.

My god that Ulster bank building is the most hideous creation. An abortion.
    I worked on it too. But my god it's the most ugly malformed creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

great piece of time lapse...

think it is 3 working weeks.. , no work at night on the first two weekends.. and its down low enough by tues/wed of the 3rd week.. that no night work needed, lost count a bit.. but would imagine they dragged it out till the friday..

so 19 days ..

bealbocht, I'd go along with you on the 19 or so days.

At first work couldn't be done in the daytime because of traffic -- roads had to be closed while work was in progress. But as the demolition reached the 1st or 2nd floor I think they started daylight work.

O'Connell St. 1960s

Anyone spot another one of those tulip shaped things we discussed a few pages back?

OConnellSt1960s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

O'Connell St. 1960s

Anyone spot another one of those tulip shaped things we discussed a few pages back?

OConnellSt1960s1.jpg

[IMG][/IMG]

Yep. Well spotted Wish.

And if it were possible to blow up that piece of the pic without it becoming too pixellated I'll bet you'd see an overstuffed litter bin.

One evening a Garda 'advised' me to get off it as I was sitting on it (it was empty of course) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

ahh.."advice" from Gardí.. where would be without it ... still sitting down I suppose ??

• Advertisement

A little piece of lost Dublin. Anyone remember it? I got a fill here a few times. North Dublin.

Garage.jpg

Advertisement