Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Another vote for the adult education woodturning courses, it's what I did (mine got interrupted five lessons in by the first lockdown but it still got enough across that I continue to enjoy a full set of fingers after a year messing on the lathe).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, how i got started also, in hartstown. did one with joe laird many years ago, but didn't have anywhere to put a lather for about six years, so repeated it with my wife when we moved into the new place. was a chap called Ruaidhri who led the second one.

for the money you pay too, it's fantastic value; €125 for ten two hour lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, that's next year's yule tree baubles bought :D:D:D

2021-01-16-13.38.30a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Sparks wrote: »
    Another vote for the adult education woodturning courses, it's what I did (mine got interrupted five lessons in by the first lockdown but it still got enough across that I continue to enjoy a full set of fingers after a year messing on the lathe).

I would hope to do the same once the lockdown lifts as well, but I'm not even sure that the local VEC will be running a Woodturning course.
    In the meantime, can anyone recommend a good starter book ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where are you based? the chap i mentioned above (joe laird) can do one-on-one courses, but that's obviously a more expensive way of doing it. the benefit is not just the one on one aspect, the lathes are excellent compared to some of the ones you might be saddled with on evening courses.

he's based in dublin 15; not sure what he can do during lockdown obviously.

• Advertisement

I'm down the country, Tipp, so Joe Laird is not a runner.

Had considered (again before lockdown) of booking a weekend away and incorporating a 3 hr tuition on one of the days.
    That will have to wait too.

I'm tipping away here myself and making loads of mistakes, but learning along the way.

there's also glenn lucas who runs courses, about an hour's drive from thurles (he's based in carlow) but again, this won't be nearly as cheap as an evening course.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Vizzy wrote: »

Had considered (again before lockdown) of booking a weekend away and incorporating a 3 hr tuition on one of the days.

I'm tipping away here myself and making loads of mistakes, but learning along the way.

Into Ronaynes in thurles and ask for Johnny. He will sort ya for advice/tools or even classes if you wanted.

bamayang wrote: »
    Into Ronaynes in thurles and ask for Johnny. He will sort ya for advice/tools or even classes if you wanted.

Thanks bamayang.
    When things open up a bit I'll give Johnny a shout.

In the meantime, any recommended reading ?

i'd say videos on youtube are as good a resource as any? there's one started in the last year or two called 'turn a wood bowl' and he does some good stuff on the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

yep, how i got started also, in hartstown. did one with joe laird many years ago, but didn't have anywhere to put a lather for about six years, so repeated it with my wife when we moved into the new place. was a chap called Ruaidhri who led the second one.

for the money you pay too, it's fantastic value; €125 for ten two hour lessons.

Jasus, that's massive value!

Try Donal Ryan, he does classes and is based in Tipp, Borrisolee I think?

https://www.facebook.com/Donal-Ryan-Woodturning-1494161187525525

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Try Donal Ryan, he does classes and is based in Tipp, Borrisolee I think?

https://www.facebook.com/Donal-Ryan-Woodturning-1494161187525525

Thanks for that.

Still too far to travel to at the moment, but will check him out.

I have a friend who is a bit more experienced than myself so I might get him to give me a few pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for that.

Still too far to travel to at the moment, but will check him out.

I have a friend who is a bit more experienced than myself so I might get him to give me a few pointers.

I would bone up on the
    safety aspects of the tool and the chisels first, then, with the right PPE just turn away on low value wood that is easy to work with.

I know you know this but loose clothing/sleeves, uneven, cluttered footing etc don't generally turn out well on a lathe

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I would bone up on the
    safety aspects of the tool and the chisels first, then, with the right PPE just turn away on low value wood that is easy to work with.

I know you know this but loose clothing/sleeves, uneven, cluttered footing etc don't generally turn out well on a lathe

That's exactly what I am trying to do at the moment.

Have turned a few trinkets ( keyrings and a couple of bodhran "tippers").
    Learning how to sharpen the chisels etc.
    I have a larger piece of green ash in lathe at the moment and want to practice turning it into something that resembles a bowl ( or maybe an eggcup).

Haven't had any scary moments yet, but I know that it is taking me ages to do everything.

Its very addictive. To paraphrase a famous saying- "Give a man a fish and he will feed himself, give him a lathe and he will have an excuse to get away from the house for the night"

That is fu#*ing class Bamayang!!!! Perfect look for a candle holder. Fair play ;)

:o Thanks very much.

there are a few videos on understanding catches on youtube, but the main thing to remember is make sure your cutting edge is supported.
    skew chisels are famous for catches, but that often comes down to cutting on the unsupported side.
    if you imagine the skew is sitting on the rest like a forward slash, i.e. in this orientation
    /
    and you're cutting at the top end of the blade (i.e. top right of the slash there) rather than the supported bottom end; there's much more scope, if the blade starts to catch, for the torque to flip the chisel over which causes it to dig in more, and next thing you know you've taken a chunk out of your piece.

in short, the line between the contact point of the tool on the tool rest, and the point cutting into the piece, should ideally be vertical or near vertical.

That's exactly what I am trying to do at the moment.

Have turned a few trinkets ( keyrings and a couple of bodhran "tippers").
    Learning how to sharpen the chisels etc.
    I have a larger piece of green ash in lathe at the moment and want to practice turning it into something that resembles a bowl ( or maybe an eggcup).

Haven't had any scary moments yet, but I know that it is taking me ages to do everything.

Its very addictive. To paraphrase a famous saying- "Give a man a fish and he will feed himself, give him a lathe and he will have an excuse to get away from the house for the night"

Dunno if you want to spend much money but, these downloads that Glenn Lucas does are brilliant. You can save them onto your PC and go back to them when you need to. He is a master turner and teacher:
    https://www.glennlucaswoodturning.com/product-category/guides/downloads/

bamayang wrote: »
    Dunno if you want to spend much money but, these downloads that Glenn Lucas does are brilliant. You can save them onto your PC and go back to them when you need to. He is a master turner and teacher:
    https://www.glennlucaswoodturning.com/product-category/guides/downloads/

bamayang, you are being very helpful.

By coincidence I spoke to a friend of mine this afternoon and he mentioned a guy in town here - Brendan Hogg, but I'm not sure if he does any tuition. BTW my friend said that Brendan wrote the definitive book on "Plane Solid Geometry for Leaving cert".

Just for the Mods, are my witterings more appropriate in the "Advice for Novice Wooworkers" thread ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

bamayang, you are being very helpful.

By coincidence I spoke to a friend of mine this afternoon and he mentioned a guy in town here - Brendan Hogg, but I'm not sure if he does any tuition. BTW my friend said that Brendan wrote the definitive book on "Plane Solid Geometry for Leaving cert".

Just for the Mods, are my witterings more appropriate in the "Advice for Novice Wooworkers" thread ?

Might be more helpful there alright, but its your choice:)

• Advertisement

Few recent bits from the workshop

Sharpening station:
    9XFmJYk.jpg

0bpeaBp.jpg

2yFxcSd.jpg

Bog oak and ash mortar and pestle

8kdBFPY.jpg

gDfBWPk.jpg

Charging and storage station for drills. Handy have somewhere to fire em out of the way.

U6veHGR.jpg

n3bCS7z.jpg

kadman wrote: »
    Might be more helpful there alright, but its your choice:)

kadman, I think that it might be more useful in the other thread. Hopefully it will help somebody else like myself.
    Also it will clear the way for all the brilliant projects being posted.

Thanks
    Viz

• Registered Users Posts: 1 obreathnach

Hi all, been looking for an irish woodworking forum since I deleted Facebook. Just finished my first chess set. I've completed a few chopping boards, a table and my workbench

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi all, been looking for an irish woodworking forum since I deleted Facebook. Just finished my first chess set. I've completed a few chopping boards, a table and my workbench

Welcome,
    The more the merrier as they say, What design of workbench did you build?
    tim

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Very wise choice;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

who needs facebook with this on boards
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116165349#post116165349
    stumbled across it today :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I got tired of working off a set of trestles, so I had a go at a work bench. I used 10x 4.8M lengths of 4x2 C16 pine, not the toughest of wood but good enough for my first attempt… used a bit of oak for the jaws of the vice.

Planed everything down to begin, then glued up the top in two sections (so I could fit them through the planer)

eQvWKQvh.jpg

j6yaQ8bh.jpg

WiefFWdh.jpg

No fancy joinery, just lap joints used, cut on the table saw and tidied up with hand plane & chisels:

bB6F9m5h.jpg

iQZN5wth.jpg

alFC3E7h.jpg

GEEf5koh.jpg

Then on to assembly of the frame:

alFC3E7h.jpg

cUGEIJNh.jpg

Fitted the top with metal L brackets if I need to disassemble, made up a flattening jig for the router to level off the top using some coated MDF left from the kitchen units & tidied it up with a plane:

UlIjqKih.jpg

boJ6xQlh.jpg

Qd7puPLh.jpg

agoCd5Sh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Made the vice up with some 19mm oak boards I laminated:

4PBDf6Dh.jpg

cEzvx4mh.jpg

gsc8rp1h.jpg

Hf5LArDh.jpg

The finished job:

WlTimw7h.jpg

JZJMvGoh.jpg

I've seen a few people turning 3 sided bowls and tealight holders, so, I thought I'd have a go meself. First though I had to make up a jig for the lathe. I'd ordered some m33 nuts long before Christmas, ideal for a project like this.

I glued one into some Ash with epoxy for the drive, turned down and bored a 20mm hole approx 30mm deep. Used some Ash again for the live centre, 20mm hole 30mm deep. I had no arbour for the tailstock so I thought I could mount it in the jacobs chuck. I epoxy a 22mm bearing, rebated into the block of wood, with a 6mm gutter bolt fastened with a nut, to fit into the chuck in the tailstock.

This one was slightly off, not running quite true. However, once I got the blank mounted, lined up and tightened, it was running pretty true!

Just turned a 125mm cube, to try it out. Cut a tennon on the bottom to remount. So far so good, we'll see how it finish's!

EurLl2TXMAQbSTq?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

small coffee table made from trunk of flowering cherry tree

Advertisement