Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn, 21 December 2020

• 20-12-2020 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,
    Could you please recommend a decent spot to observe this? Preferably in northern Dublin, Howth Hill maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭emo72

kwazar wrote: »
    Hi,
    Could you please recommend a decent spot to observe this? Preferably in northern Dublin, Howth Hill maybe?

Probably best out west of dublin. Less light pollution. Also you need a good view of the horizon. I haven't seen it yet and the conditions are good out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Where should I look for it in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

Low in the southwest just after sunset.

With clear skys earlier this evening, I could easily pick out Saturn's rings and Jupiter's darker cloud bands in the same scope view while the sky was still relatively bright. Quite special.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭jmreire

How long will it last?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kwazar

Live here now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHNwLqza37k, quite few streams actually.
    We went to Howth hill last night, It was a good spot. Few people from IAS were there with their telescopes and were very kind to let us peek through. Amazing. With 100% cloud cover today no chance to see it here. I hope you have better conditions tonight. If not, not to worry, next one in 60 years. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Couldn't see past my front gate, never mind outer space.. Always next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Too cloudy in Dublin at the moment unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Magellanic wrote: »
    Too cloudy in Dublin at the moment unfortunately

Could you still see it at this hour?

Will it be visible for another few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

No. Has gone below the horizon. If you instal sky map on your phone it will show you where to look at sunset tomorrow.....if it’s clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    No. Has gone below the horizon. If you instal sky map on your phone it will show you where to look at sunset tomorrow.....if it’s clear!

Thanks
    Been having no luck with clouds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

clears skies last night except south and south west - typical, looks like clouds rolling in tonight as well

been cloudy for weeks up here

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Saw it this evening and there was a very fortuitous lineup of the Galilean satellites - all in a row on the right of Jupiter. Saturn now clearly visible as a separate object with the naked eye as a result of the separation since the close encounter..

Advertisement