Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The world boxing Super Series is on sky sports. Starting with Donaire vs Tete and Prograis vs Relikh this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The world boxing Super Series is on sky sports. Starting with Donaire vs Tete and Prograis vs Relikh this weekend.

They had no choice but to buy content in. The quality of non PPV boxing has gone to sh1te lately. Its such a conflict of interest in my opinion, Hearn cant get mid name UK boxers on his exclusive Sky deal because he has them all on his DAZN shows on inflated rates. Ill be cancelling in a few weeks if it doesnt pick up.

UK boxing in general is gone nuts. Non title heavyweight fights on PPV, Eubank v DeGale, and probably even the likes of Warrington v Galahad. Who buys these shows enough to make them worthwhile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Tyrone McKenna vs Darragh Foley for the WBC international

Ulster Hall June 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Thoughts on the upcoming Canelo Jacobs fight?

I thought Jacobs gave GGG a great fight a few fights back and showed some serious courage too. Think it was the first time in years GGG hasn't finished a fighter. Canelo's last fight against Fielding was a joke. I have a sneaky feeling Jacobs could cause him trouble but he will have to stop him, because a close fight going to the cards will land in Canelo's favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Think Canelo will win and will win handily, might even get the stoppage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Thoughts on the upcoming Canelo Jacobs fight?

I thought Jacobs gave GGG a great fight a few fights back and showed some serious courage too. Think it was the first time in years GGG hasn't finished a fighter. Canelo's last fight against Fielding was a joke. I have a sneaky feeling Jacobs could cause him trouble but he will have to stop him, because a close fight going to the cards will land in Canelo's favour.

Absolutely spot on, I think Jacobs is a big fight for Canelo, Jacobs size, reach and mobility will cause him problems. Agree that Jacobs needs to win clearly or by stoppage otherwise Golden Boy will have paid for the 'correct result.

Michael Conlan to fight in Falls Park Belfast in early august under the Féile an Phobail festival

Unsure if its the weekend of the 3rd or 10th yet, festival runs from 1st to 11th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

WBC have ordered Loma v Luke Campbell, then a 4 man tournament of Lopez, Haney, Fortuna & Abdullaev to fight the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fitzparker

ASOT wrote: »
    WBC have ordered Loma v Luke Campbell, then a 4 man tournament of Lopez, Haney, Fortuna & Abdullaev to fight the winner.

Fingers crossed its in London, with Usyk injured and out of Takem fight he could be on the card also... against Allen maybe? to boost the local fighters?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pacquaio v Thurman on July 20th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Pacquaio v Thurman on July 20th

Any thoughts on it? I really like the fight personally. Think I'd just favour Thurman. No secret Thurman hates it to the body but Manny is a serious headhunter. If we get the Thurman that fought Porter/Garcia I'd have to favour him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Saturday saw hometown Champ Jarrett "Swift" Hurd defend his super welterweight titles against Philly's Julian Williams at the Eaglebank Arena on George Mason University campus in Fairfax, Virginia which is about 20 miles west of downtown DC. I wondered what the crowd would be like considering it was a filthy night and the location.

On ticketmaster the $50 ticket was $69 but at the arena it was $54. Pleasantly surprised to see a very healthy crowd there just as Fox were starting broadcasting. The arena holds 10,000 but had one whole section shut off and the 5,105 announced crowd, while not full, produced a superb atmosphere once Hurd made his spectacular entrance.

But first Matt Korobov was up against a local Aleem. Of course the Russian is well known to any Irish boxing fan but since Andy Lee beat him he had only 5 fights until saturday. His most recent was a narrow loss to Jermall Charlo on a weeks notice before christmas.

The initial verdict was fair and was only contested by some locals. I missed the opening round but was in no doubt he had won the fight despite labouring in the latter rounds. He looked stronger and he was clearly causing damage. In the fourth he had Akeem down but the referee, who I thought was not strong enough throughout, ruled it as a shot behind the head. In the sixth Korobov had him wobbled with a savage left and his lefts and uppercuts were troubling Aleem. To be fair in the last three rounds the native did come back into it and I gave him that so Korobov 7-3.

IMG-6262.jpg

To have this reversed later is almost FAI like incompetence and for Korobov to get the decision live only to be told later he didnt win must be gut wrenching as time is definitely running out for him. Only a few years ago the Russians like him, Kovalev and GGG were considered invincible!

IMG-6265.jpg

Decided to go for a walk around the internal part of the arena and so missed the next fight which ended very quick and then Jimmy Lennon made the announcement that Bert Cooper and Harold Lederman had passed. The latter's voice will be missed as will his knowledge. Some of the stories about Cooper are legendary though!

IMG-6268.jpg

Main event time and I had never seen a marching band lead out a boxer before but it definitely added to the atmosphere as there was almost universal cheering for Hurd. But very early on Williams made his intent known and was always first to the punch. In the second he floored Hurd for the first time in his career with a left to the head after a series of combinations and this was a pointer of things to come. The sheer amount of head shots that Hurd took throughout was astonishing.

Hurd did come back into during the middle rounds but Williams sheer toughness and movement proved the difference. His relentless inside work and heavy hands I think surprised Hurd and the native's face was swollen and his corner worked furiously to repair a cut over his left eye after the seventh. From this point the fight was lost I felt as Williams' confidence grew and the crowd had quitened down. To the closing bell Williams just looked like he had more in the tank and was still causing damage.

IMG-6271.jpg

This was an all action firefight and was worth every cent on the night. I thoroughly enjoyed the night and maybe this had to do with the venue. Indeed I saw parents with toddlers there which I never saw before!

Huge respect goes to both fighters. No animosity at any time and Hurd was very gracious after. As for the new Champion always great to hear "And the new" live as the reactions are always priceless. His interview was emotional after only because the remaining crowd could see him crying as the sound there was awful! But listening back he was right in that boxers should not be dismissed when they lose a fight.

Talk of a rematch in Philly but Hurd would be wise to move up.

IMG-6272.jpg

IMG-6274.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good post Shoveller.

Regarding Thurman v Pacquaio, i think we will see in this fight just how past it Manny is. I think it's an easy win for Thurman. Had it taken place a few years ago, it might well have been a different outcome. Still i am looking forward to seeing the fight.

gwalk wrote: »
    Michael Conlan to fight in Falls Park Belfast in early august under the Féile an Phobail festival

Unsure if its the weekend of the 3rd or 10th yet, festival runs from 1st to 11th

Supposedly its vs Nikitin @ featherweight, press conference to confirm it today at 1pm, move down to super bantam on hold for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Can see Conlan knocking Nikitin out tbh. Nikitin is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nikitin has had what 3 pro fights? And he has looked terrible. Not remotely interested in this.

Johner wrote: »
    Nikitin has had what 3 pro fights? And he has looked terrible. Not remotely interested in this.

More interested in the occasion itself than the fight if you get what i mean.

Falls park will be hopping and some craic,

hopefully there's a decent undercard like the last time he was in Belfast (Gerraghty/Carroll, Caterall/McKenna & McCullough/Ham)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

As well as Wilder fighting Brazil nuts there's a few WBSS fights on this weekend. Taylor's fighting Baranchyk who is wild and quite average but relentless and a machine stamina and intensity wise. Inoue is fighting Rodriguez which on paper is silently one of the fights of the year. Rodriguez really looks a terrific fighter and Inoue shouldn't have it all his own way. Saying that he's been flattening lads inside a round for the last few fights and he always seems to exceed expectation. Taylor should chop up Baranchyk like a surgeon but it might get interesting if he gets sloppy.

BJS for the WBO Super middle title and Joe Joyce vs Ustinov on BT sports too.
    Big weekend of boxing coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/1130815932736167936

First defense against a middleweight. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Johner wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/1130815932736167936

First defense against a middleweight. :rolleyes:

Shocking fight that is, massively one sided card as usual. Anyone that pays for that is a mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Am I wrong in saying fair play to Hearn for bringing the Brits to fight in the states. Looks like he is taking a nice piece of the pie with DAZN. I always seem to remember his Dad, Warren and Moloney keeping their lads on home shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

Am I wrong in saying fair play to Hearn for bringing the Brits to fight in the states. Looks like he is taking a nice piece of the pie with DAZN. I always seem to remember his Dad, Warren and Moloney keeping their lads on home shores.

It's a pity he couldn't get the Yanks to fight over this side of the pond. That's something they very, very seldom do, but then in typical bully style they complain about the Europeans doing the exact same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Fair enough, til you realise that for the most part hes feeding the ones with titles to bigger names in the US, in the hope theyll sign with him later on. Or that he has an exclusive contract with Sky, but saturday fight nights are gone to **** because he can't afford mid level UK fighters anymore, due to stateside competition from his own DAZN deal.

But from a fighters perspective and the chance to make money for people like Tommy Coyle, yeah he's done well for them

ASOT wrote: »
    Shocking fight that is, massively one sided card as usual. Anyone that pays for that is a mug.

aye, wont be paying for it like but will be watching it for Katie

The Tommy Coyle fight could have potential as he loves a war

Anyone know why the GGG DAZN show is not on Sky tonight?

Anyone know why the GGG DAZN show is not on Sky tonight?

Is it not on sky sports action?

Oscar Valdez is on box nation

gwalk wrote: »
    Is it not on sky sports action?

Oscar Valdez is on box nation

I don't see either listed

• Advertisement

Spence vs Porter signed for September

Advertisement