Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comfortable Road Helmets

• 06-12-2018 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭

Got a Bell Zephyr and am disappointed with the comfort of it. Anyone recommend a really comfy helmet under the €100 mark? Is the Lazer Z1 comfy? V cheap on Probikekit for a small lid, €59. Never bought off them. They any good for delivery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you want an aero helmet I can highly recommend the Briko Gass. Slightly over your budget but looks ace in Matt/gloss black and very very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

If you want an aero helmet I can highly recommend the Briko Gass. Slightly over your budget but looks ace in Matt/gloss black and very very comfortable.

No not looking for an aero lid but thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If Bell doesn't fit try a Giro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

surely the question about whether a helmet is comfy is best answered by someone with the same shape head as you? and not something you can easily find out by ordering online?

speaking as someone who has a head shape not catered for in most helmet designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

surely the question about whether a helmet is comfy is best answered by someone with the same shape head as you? and not something you can easily find out by ordering online?....
    This.........same as for saddles/shoes etc.

OP - why not go to a bike shop with a large range and try a few on. (And then buy in the shop, not online).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe the OP is lucky and has a boring, run of the mill head shape, not like us lucky enough to be graced with exotic heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Man, just googled these and fell in love!!!! The bright yellow /fluro one especially.

This.........same as for saddles/shoes etc.

OP - why not go to a bike shop with a large range and try a few on. (And then buy in the shop, not online).

Was in CSS recently and tried on something was fitted like a glove. Should have got it there and then. Will go local the weekend for a gander. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ratracer

Ive a Carnac that I bought from Planet X, it was cheap enough to buy, but is way more comfortable that any of the Giro or Met helmets I’ve had previous to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

maybe the OP is lucky and has a boring, run of the mill head shape, not like us lucky enough to be graced with exotic heads.

Oh tis the dream (I'm between an XL and XXL) :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Lumen wrote: »
    If Bell doesn't fit try a Giro.

I was very impressed with my Giro; very light and comfortable, and under €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Gasco

Bought the Z1 from PBK over the summer, no problem with delivery etc.

I had tried a few different helmets, MET, RH+ and Carnac, that I could not get to fit right. I had a Giro Monza which I really liked, and the Z1 is as comfy, if not more so.

I am between sizes on most brands M / L, found the M on the Lazer to be a good fit.

I also bought the aeroshell for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

On the other hand, I hated my giro helmet. Despite it being the right size based upon measurements I could never get it comfortable. It was the only thing damaged in my crash I wasnt bothered about as it gave me an excuse to replace it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Macy0161 wrote: »
    On the other hand, I hated my giro helmet. Despite it being the right size based upon measurements I could never get it comfortable. It was the only thing damaged in my crash I wasnt bothered about as it gave me an excuse to replace it!

It saved your life, you ungrateful git! :P:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've an enormous head.

My primary winter helmet is a Giro air attack. Extremely comfortable. Bounced it off a road last week, with the head inside, no visible damage.

My summer helmet is a Cratoni Terron. Extremely comfortable as well. Never been bounced off the road.

Sportpursuit is good. I've bought loads of stuff from them, but you could be waiting weeks for delivery. It will give you an estimated order date when you order and this is fairly accurate in my experience.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

terrydel wrote: »
    It saved your life, you ungrateful git! :P:pac:
    Only a light scrape on the helmet, but I used the whole "always replace after a crash" bs as my excuse!

dahat wrote: »
    Man, just googled these and fell in love!!!! The bright yellow /fluro one especially.

I bought mine directly from Briko in Italy, two days DHL delivery. Subscribe to their newsletter and get a 10% discount I think. Shipping is also free.

https://www.briko.com/en/gender/M/category/0090/article/2000170?color=904

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I bought mine directly from Briko in Italy, two days DHL delivery. Subscribe to their newsletter and get a 10% discount I think. Shipping is also free.

https://www.briko.com/en/gender/M/category/0090/article/2000170?color=904

Are they a bulky fit? How have you found the aero shell on warm days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I have a Z1 and it is very light and comfortable with a very handy adjustment dial on the top of the lid... PBK has them at a big discount over the Summer.

I have a second helmet-POC Octal which again is very comfortable but is quite a big helmet in size... Again, recently Harry’s Bikes has them on sale but not sure Harry’s are still in business unfortunately

Went with an Ekoi Corsa Light. Tried on a Catlike Mixino yesterday and loved it but out of my price league. Hopefully this one is comfy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Trekker09

ratracer wrote: »
    Ive a Carnac that I bought from Planet X, it was cheap enough to buy, but is way more comfortable that any of the Giro or Met helmets I’ve had previous to it.

Same here. I only bought one as my Blue Giro didn't match my n+1, and PlanetX had a massive sale on Carnac, so ended up getting one. By far the most comfortable helmet I've had, and stylish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

I had a Catlike Whisper for a year and sold it when I went overseas. Came back home and back on the bike four years later and bought another straight away no shopping around or comparisons.

Very comfy, very light, super well ventilated, really does feel like you are not wearing a helmet which is brilliant when you add in the fact I think they look fantastic. Seen a 2017 model online there for £60 GBP so that's exceptional value in my opinion.

Have had cheaper Bell and Giro helmets over the years, didn't rate them much, heavier and not so comfortable, as said by other posters that can be down to personal preference.

Also, had a Specialized S Works Helmet, haven't seen them around much these days but it did an awesome job of crumpling into crap when a dog ran out in front of me at 60kmh saving me from what likely could have been a very serious injury so they rate highly in my book.

dahat wrote: »
    Are they a bulky fit? How have you found the aero shell on warm days?

I wouldn’t call it bulky and at 270g it’s not exactly heavy. It’s a really nice fit IMO. I haven’t used it on very warm days so can’t comment on how it would be but I used it several times during the summer and didn’t overheat but I could imagine it being a bit too warm on sunny hot days especially as mine is all black.

Advertisement