Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap card on BE expressway services

• 27-05-2018 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

I’m wondering do bus Eireann have plans to role out the leap card on expressway services? I see more and more ticket machines replaced with the leap card ones but the drivers say they don’t accept leap. I get the Tralee bus every day from a village to the town and it would be great not to carry cash
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The machines have the facility to accept leap cards but the issue is because expressway is a commercial brand unlike bus Eireann itself, it's not paid to accept leap card.

The facility is there, the structure , zones etc all there but it cannot be accepted because the NTA are not paying Expressway for any leap transactions.

It's a regular thing I sometimes have to argue with people over , the likes of going from Dublin to Donegal and people want to use the zone ticket to get to Virginia or Cavan

Or going from Dublin to ballina/Sligo and people wanting to go to Mullingar with an orange zone ticket, they cannot be accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I get the Tralee bus every day from a village to the town and it would be great not to carry cash
    Can you get 10-journey or monthly tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Victor wrote: »
    Can you get 10-journey or monthly tickets?

I must look into the monthly. The odd day I’d get a lift home so I stopped buying the weekly/10 trip ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kevinbad2010

The machines have the facility to accept leap cards but the issue is because expressway is a commercial brand unlike bus Eireann itself, it's not paid to accept leap card.

The facility is there, the structure , zones etc all there but it cannot be accepted because the NTA are not paying Expressway for any leap transactions.

It's a regular thing I sometimes have to argue with people over , the likes of going from Dublin to Donegal and people want to use the zone ticket to get to Virginia or Cavan

Or going from Dublin to ballina/Sligo and people wanting to go to Mullingar with an orange zone ticket, they cannot be accepted

Hey i'm wondering where you get the information saying that NTA are not paying Expressway for any leap transactions? I been using the Leap card on the expressway bus for the past 3 months, with only sometimes the machine being broken and the driver letting me on.

Hey i'm wondering where you get the information saying that NTA are not paying Expressway for any leap transactions? I been using the Leap card on the expressway bus for the past 3 months, with only sometimes the machine being broken and the driver letting me on.

Staff notice went up in the depot a couple of months ago

Leap cards are now accepted on expressway but only for single journeys and there's no actual discount when used, full flat fare

There are only two exceptions.

Route 2 from Gorey / arklow to Dublin where the zones are accepted

Route 100x Dundalk/Drogheda to Dublin also zones accepted but that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Do the NTA pay other commercial operators such as Wexford bus and Swords Express and number of others for the acceptance of Leap.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Do the NTA pay other commercial operators such as Wexford bus and Swords Express and number of others for the acceptance of Leap.

I imagine they do

I mean when you buy a leap card and put credit on it, the money goes to the NTA directly.

So I guess it's up to the NTA to pay each operator as per transaction.

I imagine they do

I mean when you buy a leap card and put credit on it, the money goes to the NTA directly.

So I guess it's up to the NTA to pay each operator as per transaction.

Would have thought they done so by choice as accepting Leap would attract extra customers. If the NTA are paying certain operators but not others could one of the operators not take a court case against the NTA for paying one operator to accept Leap but not another.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Would have thought they done so by choice as accepting Leap would attract extra customers. If the NTA are paying certain operators but not others could one of the operators not take a court case against the NTA for paying one operator to accept Leap but not another.

Maybe someone here will be able to explain better or I might get this wrong but as far as I know

For Public obligations, operators are required to accept leap card.

Private operations such as expressway, or kavanaghs etc they can opt into the leap card but have to come to an agreement with the NTA and it seems to me to be a deal or agreement between the NTA and each operator.

So expressway may have their own terms for accepting the leap card , for example they have only recently started accepting the card but for single journeys only with no discount

Where as kavanaghs may accept but give a 2 euro discount per transaction and may get something in return for it. I'm not too sure of exactly but I think they sort of how it works.

Because it's an optional extra for private operators there's no unfair system or reason to take a case for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kevinbad2010

Maybe someone here will be able to explain better or I might get this wrong but as far as I know

Private operations such as expressway, or kavanaghs etc they can opt into the leap card but have to come to an agreement with the NTA and it seems to me to be a deal or agreement between the NTA and each operator.

So expressway may have their own terms for accepting the leap card , for example they have only recently started accepting the card but for single journeys only with no discount

Where as kavanaghs may accept but give a 2 euro discount per transaction and may get something in return for it. I'm not too sure of exactly but I think they sort of how it works.

Because it's an optional extra for private operators there's no unfair system or reason to take a case for anything

hmm this deal must have happened between February and November due to this tweet https://twitter.com/buseireann/status/961676286249881601?lang=en
    also one of the bus drivers disagreed me saying it shouldn't be used for outer city travel since the machine didn't work and just let me on for free after complaining about using it for 3 months every weekday before hand, so who knows?

I know that there is a max cap of 10€ that could be taken away from your leap card during a transaction though after looking at prices I figured that out.

• Advertisement

hmm this deal must have happened between February and November due to this tweet https://twitter.com/buseireann/status/961676286249881601?lang=en
    also one of the bus drivers disagreed me saying it shouldn't be used for outer city travel since the machine didn't work and just let me on for free after complaining about using it for 3 months every weekday before hand, so who knows?

I know that there is a max cap of 10€ that could be taken away from your leap card during a transaction though after looking at prices I figured that out.

You're mistaken

Bus Eireann which operates the 126, 103, 133 etc have been accepting leap cards for a few years now and they do get discounts for doing so aswell as 7 day tickets etc

Expressway that operates Dublin to Galway, letterkenny, Belfast etc has only very recently started to accept leap cards and they can only be used for a single journey and do not attract any discount.

You can reach caps on bus Eireann depending on the type of journeys but there is no cap on expressway

If they are offering a discount for Leap transactions then I would only assume they being reimburse and perhaps even given something extra on top by the NTA as an incentive to offer a discount for Leap transactions.

If they are not offering any discount I don't why operators should be given any money by the NTA for accepting Leap other than the money which has been collected by Leap paying passengers. What I thought you meant was that the NTA were offering payments to certain operators to accept Leap but not offering it to others.

Advertisement