Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Right time to renew car insurance?

• 21-05-2019 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭

My car insurance is going to expire in 4 weeks. I got almost similar renewal rate from AA as last year, even though this year I will be having 5 years NCB.

I remember vaguely that last year I renewed 1 week before the expiry of insurance and got the best rates.

Is it true that if you renew too early, then you maybe paying little extra?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

My car insurance is going to expire in 4 weeks. I got almost similar renewal rate from AA as last year, even though this year I will be having 5 years NCB.

I remember vaguely that last year I renewed 1 week before the expiry of insurance and got the best rates.

Got my renewal. I was happy with it,338. I went online with the same company and got the sa.e policy with a deat benefit for myself and mrs O for 280. Worth a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I wouldn't say it matters much if it's 1, 2 or 3 weeks before the renewal date. As long as you let them know that you've shopped around and have one or two better quotes.

But you're asking if you could do this too early? I'd say no. Because the earlier you call them, the more time you have to play hardball and go looking for yet more quotes if they won't come down to your target number.

Whereas if it's only a day or so before the renewal, they may decide to call your bluff and stick with their orignal renewal quote. On the basis that you're running out of time and will probably have to accept their quote because you left it too late to organise alternative cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have you got the renewal quote letter with a quote in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Yes I did. The bluffing game started.
    biko wrote: »
    Have you got the renewal quote letter with a quote in it?

Advertisement