Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford Station closes after landslide!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it looks as if it's taken out the iconic signal box :-( I hope it's just the camera angle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Cue the IR apologists, "shur twas an act of god"............ Minimal maintenance, Cork station canopy part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

cbl593h wrote: »
    Cue the IR apologists, "shur twas an act of god"............ Minimal maintenance, Cork station canopy part 2.

So should have Irish Rail installed a drainage system or waterproofed the side of an entire hill just in case? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

IÉ have a duty of care to customers/staff/contractors. You take reasonable precautions to make sure rockfaces/platform canopies/viaducts/bridges don't collapse.

Where's the "sarcasm" smiley :rolleyes:..........

Dawlish UK- trains one and two here give you the idea...

is it their roackface though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

corktina wrote: »
    it looks as if it's taken out the iconic signal box :-( I hope it's just the camera angle!

Do you mean the signal box in the photo?

The big signal box that went over both lines was anchored to a brick pillar anchored to the rock face I think... it looks like the slide might be just to the right of the signal box...

The rock face was reinforced and covered with rock fall protectors in parts as far as I remember. The rock is a fairly friable shale and with the amount of rainfall in the last few weeks I'm not surprised there has been rock movement. There is water movement from the hill above through the permeable shale so not too sure was their much could have been done to prevent it.

It is of note that this is now the third main train station that the current conditions have taken out

Cork Kent station - Wind damage to roof 18/12/2013
    Pearse Station Dublin - Wind damage to roof 13/12/2013
    Waterford - Rockfall

IÉ have a duty of care to customers/staff/contractors. You take reasonable precautions to make sure rockfaces/platform canopies/viaducts/bridges don't collapse.

Reasonable being the operative word. Acts of God, extreme weather, shale cliffs and external occupiers of said land are another thing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I assume you have very specific, and verifiable evidence of negligence on IE's part which lead to this incident? No? Ok then, please don't post such nonsense again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Another pic:

69526f41f5afbc07d02bac2c020ac69cd8eda2b5.jpg

• Advertisement

signal box looks undamaged....hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

signal box looks undamaged....hope so

Bit early to say, the structure behind the brick wall may not be in best shape.

We'll forgive me, but that rock face is probably sandstone and therefore is not the most stable.

If no one in CIE had ever thought to have it shored up then that is negligent.

A bit like when the bridge near Malahide collapsed; that was so nearly a disaster with loss of life, and was largely because CIE hadn't bothered to check it, and had lost the plans anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

If no one in CIE had ever thought to have it shored up then that is negligent.
    Hindsight is a wonderfull thing, everybody is an expert after the event.

Well companies like CIE employ many people these days, in risk assessment, whose job is to predict things that might happen and take steps to prevent them.

To foresee hindsight, if you will.

This is a very important duty when you're dealing with the safety of the public.

So if that mechanism has failed, in this case, Malahide or others, then something is wrong.

Well companies like CIE employ many people these days, in risk assessment, whose job is to predict things that might happen and take steps to prevent them.

To foresee hindsight, if you will.

This is a very important duty when you're dealing with the safety of the public.

So if that mechanism has failed, in this case, Malahide or others, then something is wrong.

Stop being a bigget. The area of rock is a lot bigger that the train station. Could of happened anywhere. If it happened on the road near by who's job is it to prevent it from happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Stop being a bigget. The area of rock is a lot bigger that the train station. Could of happened anywhere. If it happened on the road near by who's job is it to prevent it from happening?

They removed the cliff face danger along the road by creating a series of tiers.

Exactly, very good post, I'm very familiar with Waterford station traveling in and out of it for years when I worked in Waterford Port. That cliff face has been very secure with gorse growing on it for years as long as I can remember, when you have ''stuff'' growing on a cliff face, it tends to bind it together with its roots, but in places where the cliff face is open and bare with sheer rock, then Irish Rail have secured it, you can see it at Bray Head.
    Waterford couldn't have been predited, now I'm no expert, nether am I a geologist, nor am i a scientist in the study of cliff face, I just see the obvious, cliff face held together for over a hundred years, came apart due to very unusual weather, it could have happened 20years ago and collapsed on 1 of my Bell trains going to the port, some ''faults'' are hiden and are not obvious, but I'm no expert.
    Now ask me anything about shipping.....

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Now ask me anything about shipping.....

What is a ship?

What is a ship?
    Safest form of transport, no other floats on water, you should read my book on shipping;)

• Advertisement

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Safest form of transport,

Try telling that to Jack Dawson, Robinson Crueso or Lord Nelson :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is this the same station that had it's platforms flooded last year?

flazio wrote: »
    Is this the same station that had it's platforms flooded last year?

Yes the platforms are flooded this evening but not on the same scale.
    They removed the cliff face danger along the road by creating a series of tiers.

Who did, that still wouldn't stop a landslide, did they not think about doing it all correctly. The flood defence along the quay has increased flooding in the station so another half arsed job.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Who did, that still wouldn't stop a landslide, did they not think about doing it all correctly.

The council or NRA presumably and their responsibility would have ended where the road diverges. Rock slide prevention is its purpose. Its quite striking the contrast in management of the cutting between the road and trackbed frontage. Along the roadway it has been tiered, concrete retaining walls poured, rock bolts installed and vegetation cleared, along the trackbed it looks as if it was left to gorse bushes and chicken wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

Anybody from Waterford or is familiar with Plunkett station knows this was just a freak accident. Unfortunately its not until incidents like this that the weaknesses in the cliff face or rock surface can be dealt with!
    IE were saying on WLRfm today that the work could take up to 2 weeks to complete but I think the bay platforms will be in use in a day or 2 but the line down to Belview Port could be out of use for a significant period affecting the DFDS liners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

but the line down to Belview Port could be out of use for a significant period affecting the DFDS liners.

They could always go the long way around :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They could always go the long way around :P

Or go back to road and no more contract for IE.

yep, via Rosslare Strand is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

yep, via Rosslare Strand is it?

IRN report that the liners will still run through Waterford with hand signalling used due to damage to the manual signalling at Waterford Central.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement