Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really Excellent Public Services in Ireland that aren't Shambolic

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

tenor.gif?itemid=5245718

The Children's Hospital is a 3 billion euro scam. Nobody who isn't delusional or working for a real estate agency will say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The Children's Hospital is a 3 billion euro scam. Nobody who isn't delusional or working for a real estate agency will say otherwise.

Ridiculous.

The hospital will last 100 years so costs 30mil per year to build. This year's public pay increase will cost 300mil per year. That's not counting rises in previous years, the Garda deal, the nurses deal, etc. But you get all hot and bothered about a fraction of that

Where is your outrage at what increases to the pay bill, and knock on pension costs, costing?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Munurty wrote: »
    I don't think everyone will agree but I think the RSA has made huge progress since in inception in 2006.

Road deaths have halved since 2006.
    The NCT has taken hundreds of thousands of death traps off our roads.
    The CVRT has made hauliers step up to much higher standards.

Haulers are now given risk rating scores based on their performance in road worthiness tests, site audits and roadside inspections. The worse their score the more they will be inspected.

From what I can see all of the above services are online and digitised also. From driving tests to NCT, CVRT tests and driving licenses.

I don't think it gets enough recognition.
    I depends what you measure.

Yes, road deaths and injuries have decreased significantly. NCT, CVRT and penalty points system have undoubtedly played a bit role in this.

But measuring success based on deaths only misses a bit part of the problem. RSA has utterly failed to provide a safe environment for vulnerable road users, particularly cyclists and pedestrians. They have been scared off the road. They're not getting killed or injured because they're not walking or cycling. That is a failure, not a success.

There are more secondary school girls driving themselves to school than cycling to school. The last Census had an average of less than one girl per secondary school cycling to school. That's a huge deterioration from 20 years ago.

We're creating huge public health problems of obesity, cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and more by scaring people off active travel into the SUV instead.

Look at the responses to the RSA post promoting the cycle bus for sports training - a great initiative indeed, but the RSA can't slap themselves on the back for requiring parents to become human shields in traffic. In other countries, like Japan and Netherlands, kids of 6 and upwards will routinely walk or cycle to school on their own.

That's the kind of thing the RSA needs to start measuring.
    https://twitter.com/AnnaDrJox/status/1393318296947146756

Look at the responses to the RSA call for 'awareness' of illegal footpath parking. Awareness doesn't work - we need enforcement and a change of culture.

https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1393301089554944005

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

An post is excellent. Passport website is excellent. The pup website was excellent.

When did I agree for corporations and wealthy elites to be taxed 0 while I get taxed nearly half of everything I make?

Revenue is there to tax the poor and middle class. It exists to keep you in your place.

How can anyone look at the low taxes paid by the wealthy in Ireland and still call the Revenue office progressive and effective? Its a sham.
    The point is, Revenue in Ireland is efficient at taxing the poor and the working man, but has so many loopholes available for the rich.

They are efficient at taxing YOU. They are not efficient at taxing corporations and wealthy elites.
    Revenue don't set tax policy. Government sets tax policy.
    salonfire wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense, the service in private hospitals is excellent and provides excellent value for money. E.g not paying for porters and their numerous tea breaks. Vastly different to the shambles in public health
    It's easy to give 'value for money' when you get to hand off the challenging, difficult cases to the public system safety net, like this;
    crossman47 wrote: »
    I'm afraid my experience was just as I stated. I developed a complication due an error by a private hospital and was immediately moved to a public hospital with the necessary speciality.
    salonfire wrote: »
    Just like the privatized service called upon to do driving tests due to the failure of the public driving testers to cope with the work load.

A private service that got through the backlog far faster than the public could dream of doing.
    Amazing - adding some extra resources got through a backlog! Shocker.
    Have you considered writing a paper for Project Management Journal on this amazing discovery?
    The Children’s Hospital should 100% stop. Its a monument to decadence and corruption being built while the entire country is struggling. Its a play by play repeat of the 1700s just before oligarchs were hanged.
    Because its a scam, friend. There is not one aspect of this project from the builders, the materiel, the planning and construction that doesnt scream backhanded deals.

This is the ultimate payday for a few people.
    You have reported this corruption that you've discovered to the Gardai, right?
    85603 wrote: »
    Libraries are great ... for screaming kids and chattering oldies.

Awful if you want to actually read.
    Shocking how the public get in the way of public services. Things would be so much tidier if the public didn't keep coming in.
    Damien360 wrote: »
    Political bull and consultant pressure put its location where it’s going instead of greenfield site. The agreement was to build immediately because we as a country were talking about it for decades. This is where it went wrong. It’s like deciding to build a house with no plans for its size, layout or use. All that was changed on the fly. That’s where the extra cost is from. BAM don’t work for free. It’s right up there with the printer fiasco in government buildings but on a far larger scale. We are now in for such a large hit that it’s become too big to fail ! We can’t walk away from the site as it would cost just as much to either destroy it or repurpose it.

The scam as you call it can not be stuck to BAM but all the way back at the beginning that despite all the reports to say the site was unsuitable, a very vocal group of consultants made sure it was placed there based on co-location nonsense of paediatrics and adult services close by, despite each medical discipline being very different beasts and consultants don’t cross over each divide.
    This is untrue.

The Dolphin report, produced by an expert group of mostly international expert medics, planners and medical service leaders recommended the James site out of all the options available, once ABP blocked the Mater site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭marty whelan

Stunned by the positive posts re Revenue. The answer to queries depends on who gives them. Frequently take 4 or 5 weeks to respond, and often they respond to a question that wasn't actually asked, usually with a c and p of something slightly related to what you actually asked.

Stunned by the positive posts re Revenue. The answer to queries depends on who gives them. Frequently take 4 or 5 weeks to respond, and often they respond to a question that wasn't actually asked, usually with a c and p of something slightly related to what you actually asked.

Revenue aren't there to be your tax consultant. They're not there to give advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Which part of "it's a character in a book" did you fail to understand? :rolleyes:

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭marty whelan

Fair, but they frequently give advice to suppliers that's contradictory to published info - eg telling companies to request an f43 on occasions where it is obvious that it goes against the guidelines in https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-18/18-01-04.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Shocking how the public get in the way of public services. Things would be so much tidier if the public didn't keep coming in.

No point in proffering a quiet place for study, which is subsequently never even remotely quiet.

• Advertisement

85603 wrote: »
    No point in proffering a quiet place for study, which is subsequently never even remotely quiet.

Fair enough, but it depends on space available. In my local one in Dundrum, the study space is upstairs, and is segregated off from the rest of the library. I'm not sure every library has the luxury of space.

But they have to balance all users. Seeing kids having fun in a library is a great sign for the future usage of the library.

Have a word with the librarian if there are ongoing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Ireland’s employment permit system is incredibly efficient and customer focussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Fair enough, but it depends on space available. In my local one in Dundrum, the study space is upstairs, and is segregated off from the rest of the library. I'm not sure every library has the luxury of space.

But they have to balance all users. Seeing kids having fun in a library is a great sign for the future usage of the library.

Have a word with the librarian if there are ongoing issues.

Im not bothered I don't use that same place anymore.

The librarians would hush people who picked up their phones, which is fair enough, but then there'd be kids legging it around the same area screaming. And the usual yammering aulones/aulfellas who just get a pass because.

So yep, as I said, they're shte for studying, but still propose to have a quiet area, which they then dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The main annoyance is the loud talking from the library staff.
    Ignorant behaviour, when a library is a place to read and study in peace.

Advertisement