Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish "influencers"

Options
  • 04-05-2021 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17 TrampFighter

Can someone please explain to my they are all so cringy and annoying.

the wife follows some of them on Insta and that Kieran Corrigan lad is the absolute pits.

Every day hes on the beg, forever looking for free stuff. and his voice like nails on chalkboard.

anyone else fed up with the influencer types at this point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

There are some that I follow and find brilliant but these are all people running a business and using their Instagram profile for marketing whilst giving advice and tips on what they sell ie. A paint shop that recommends which product for which job etc BUT there's others like one Dublin girl who is an absolute shambles always giving out wrong information and always on the beg. Her latest thing was saying this particular brand of hot chocolate could increase the size of your heart by up to thirty per cent!!! This kind of rubbish is very dangerous and I think should be dealt with by immediately taking down the account not a weak half assed apology.
    They are so quick to say they are being bullied or trolled then when people call out their lies or complete misinformation. Definitely needs a lot more regulation and stricter standards for all the 'lifestyle and makeup' and health and fitness instahuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

As the aul Nanny used to say; it'll all end in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ah I love Kieran Corrigan, he’s quite funny and as he says Up and At it :D A legend ;)

Some are useless though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Attention seekers seeking attention.

I pay no heed to it, but then again, I'm not their target demographic. (male, mid-30's).

I don’t get it but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Anyone who isn't a teenager and follows these influencer types needs their head checked!

davo2001 wrote: »
    Attention seekers seeking attention.

I pay no heed to it, but then again, I'm not their target demographic. (male, mid-30's).

Hopefully just a passing fad in time.

Similar to Tik Tok, for me that was the worst thing about 2020.
    I suppose the issue is seeing it on IG, don't come across it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I think Instagram is great to research an area or set of products and prices of items your actually interested in but the ones that have made Insta their job and don't have any other source of income are absolutely painful and I think their reviews are totally untrustworthy.
    I am slowly doing up my house so I'm following businesses in that area and it's so useful but some fool who spends his or her time trying to convince people that if they hadn't already been gifted this meal or skincare or makeup by the company would buy it from their own pocket....not a chance! I avoid companies who use instagrammers by giving them freebies and expecting their followers to pay for the advertising no way thanks!
    Sinead from The Beaut Truth is the only fashion/makeup page I would actually trust because she says very clearly when paid for advertising and her reviews are always honest and not always glowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

James Kavanagh is one insufferable c**t

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can someone please explain to my they are all so cringy and annoying.

the wife follows some of them on Insta and that Kieran Corrigan lad is the absolute pits.

Every day hes on the beg, forever looking for free stuff. and his voice like nails on chalkboard.

anyone else fed up with the influencer types at this point?

I don't pay attention to any of them for the reasons you state.
    I clicked on one once out of curiosity to see what an 'influencer' was.

To me it translates as very needy individual who craves attention. Who uses this attention to get sponsored to 'name drop' products and make a living. That is what an 'influencer' is as far as I see it.

Basically a 21st century version of an infomercial.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

Hopefully just a passing fad in time.

Similar to Tik Tok, for me that was the worst thing about 2020.
    I suppose the issue is seeing it on IG, don't come across it otherwise.

Not the worldwide pandemic and endless lockdowns, nope, a social media site that you can easily avoid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Every male one does that wide-eyed shock smile thing.

Every female one does a pout.

How the fúck do people get so wrapped up in people whose job is to just advertise shít to you? It's literally in their name, influencers, all they're trying to do is influence what you think and buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I think the time of influencers is coming to an end. The general public seemed to be pissed off with these narcissists as they throw casual insults to a huge portion of their followers in the middle of a pandemic with their living different bolloxology.

James Smith and Siobhán O'Hagan are two i have noticed had a big following and are gradually becoming despised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I just dont understand why businesses give these morons free products. Would they ever make a return on their money?
    Some of these influencers have no shame when it comes to asking for free stuff too. Free hotel rooms, free meals...all for a favorable review.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Orange Tiny Terror

Sickening these useless no talent narcissists make a living from being good at social media. Meanwhile people who put in years of work to become artists or musicians struggle. Too many stupid people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm still waiting to be influenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

What's Instagram?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It’s all sh*te. A load of narcissistic nonsense driving people to acquire more and more and feel worse about themselves. That Instagram and the behaviour it generates is a curse. Honestly sick to death of celebrity culture, ‘influencers’ and that whole cultural morass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I was reading a finance blog from a girl who fancies herself as an expert on making money.
    She was telling everyone how she built an extension on her house and it cost her €70k and she has it rented as a self contained flat with its own door.
    She had spreadsheets and workings with payback period etc on it.
    I really hope noone takes her advice.
    Because revenue have surely taken note and will come knocking on her door in 10 or 15 years looking for their half of the rent plus interest and penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I was reading a finance blog from a girl who fancies herself as an expert on making money.
    She was telling everyone how she built an extension on her house and it cost her €70k and she has it rented as a self contained flat with its own door.
    She had spreadsheets and workings with payback period etc on it.
    I really hope noone takes her advice.
    Because revenue have surely taken note and will come knocking on her door in 10 or 15 years looking for their half of the rent plus interest and penalties.

i regularily read her stuff actually. Not sure on the tax implications of a self contained flat but i had assumed she was paying tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    i regularily read her stuff actually. Not sure on the tax implications of a self contained flat but i had assumed she was paying tax.

She thinks its covered by the rent a room scheme and she doesnt have to pay tax on it. Its not. There are rules to the rent a room scheme that she has totally missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

The missus follows Faces by Grace and i have to say i cant stand her. Ive never seen someone so lazy in my life and shes constantly caught lying and photo shopping. Her cat went "missing" last year and a psychic found it via some sort of voodoo lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I love James Kavanagh. The sound of his voice emanating from my OH's phone is like sweet, sweet music to my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You'd want tpo be some mug to let any of them effect your life ,
    Who has the time to be listing to them ,

They where grand for a bit but you have to laugh how every single influencers is now an expert in mental health when it became the "thing " to talk about ,

As someone has already pointed out I think its the being of the end for them being a thing just a fad that will be quickly forgotten ,

Just be your self captions with 7 thousand filters ,fake lips, tits and whatever else ,
    Independent women, who also need everyone's approval insta before they get out of bed in the morning

FTA69 wrote: »
    It’s all sh*te. A load of narcissistic nonsense driving people to acquire more and more and feel worse about themselves. That Instagram and the behaviour it generates is a curse. Honestly sick to death of celebrity culture, ‘influencers’ and that whole cultural morass.

After my modelling career wound down, I joined the intellectual vanguard by setting up an Instagram account. Obviously food is my expertise, well the PR advisor suggested as such so who am I to argue. It's called "Eat yourself stupid", with a drizzle of tulip. Mastered pizza in the toaster this week, now it's time to start hawking my blueberry and almond smoothie at the competitive price of €12.99. Superfoods that will invest you with superpowers, and did I tell you about the novel coming out next week. Those ghostwriters are spooky, they pinched my name and disappeared.

A cultural vacuum and racket for gullible imbeciles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Unfortunately like the previous posters have said there will be always people who will be gullible to follow or buy these things no matter what.

Basically a modern version of buying self help books or exercise videos or books in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

They are all harping on about sustainability whilst advertising fast fashion and other crap no one needs...

Several have left good careers such as nurses, accountants to "influence" full time. Madness.

Glad the tide is turning now. A lot of them are getting absolutely slated on a certain forum and their friends and family get dragged in too which is really unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

After my modelling career wound down, I joined the intellectual vanguard by setting up an Instagram account. Obviously food is my expertise, well the PR advisor suggested as such so who am I to argue. It's called "Eat yourself stupid", with a drizzle of tulip. Mastered pizza in the toaster this week, now it's time to start hawking my blueberry and almond smoothie at the competitive price of €12.99. Superfoods that will invest you with superpowers, and did I tell you about the novel coming out next week. Those ghostwriters are spooky, they pinched my name and disappeared.

A cultural vacuum and racket for gullible imbeciles.

Sounds like you need a cleanse after all that.

Every time I read these threads though I wonder why people who don’t like influencers are affected by influencers. This isn’t a broadcast situation, you have to choose to follow them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

Eejits is what they are. I've no interest personally.

Advertisement