Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you overpay your mortgage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Tell me if I have my maths correct here.

I went to AIB mortgage calculator and calculated that if you have a mortgage worth 200,000e, with 30 years left at 3%, and overpayed by 200e per month, by the end of the mortgage you have saved e30,815.30

Then I used an s&p calculator with a conservative 6% rate of return (the average is 8%) that came back with this: Investing an initial amount of e0.00 with regular contributions of e200.00 per month could be worth e195,851.18 after 30 years if the annual rate of return was 6.00%.

Even if the rate is 3% for the investment, the return over 30 years is e116,028.02 because of compounding. Even after tax you should be way up?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

If investments were always guaranteed to outperform mortgage rate, why would banks loan to you at 3%, when they can invest in etfs etc and "guarantee" themselves 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

I thought about overpaying and then I remembered we have two young children in full time childcare, a good ltv, and our house isn’t finished yet. So I’ll hold off until the house is finished at least as we are doing that as we save.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Paying lumps off your mortgage is a great idea if you have a high interest rate mortgage, i.e. variable or fixed rate mortgage in Ireland. Its less interesting when you have a tracker on a low interest rate. I would however think people should also be looking at other investment alternatives such as stocks directly and people should not be putting eg into their mortgage if it means they do not have a buffer to fall back on if they lose their one source of income. Perhaps an investment on some side hussle would be more meaningful in the long term as a long term mortgage rate will always be cheaper than a personal loan to start a side project to boost your income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Don't have a mortgage now - that feels great.

When I did, I always overpaid. That kept us out of negative equity in the 90s. We had bought in 85 on a new estate, when we sold in 94/5 we were the only one that could sell, at that time.

So yeah I think its a good idea. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Reckon there is a bull market, when interest rates rise, I can see etf values dropping cira 10%. Go with overpaying mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Reckon there is a bull market, when interest rates rise, I can see etf values dropping cira 10%. Go with overpaying mortgage

Will the ecb raise rates , as I suspect it would crash a couple of economies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

The poll only has one option for mortgage holders who don't over pay - which assumes you pocket any extra cash and not have a prudent reason not to overpay.

It definitely feels like a sneer to me.

I've not had spare cash to over pay as well as being on a fixed rate.

I went literally straight from a wedding to a mortgage, to a honeymoon, home renovations, car and now savings for maternity leave.

Ideally I'll overpay when we finish our fixed rate and we'll renegotiate our payment (split between fixed and variable), but hard to know as its a bit down the line now and I'd prefer knowing we have rainy day money to hand right now if we need it, I've too many responsibilities today that I need to make sure are covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Tell me if I have my maths correct here.

I went to AIB mortgage calculator and calculated that if you have a mortgage worth 200,000e, with 30 years left at 3%, and overpayed by 200e per month, by the end of the mortgage you have saved e30,815.30

Then I used an s&p calculator with a conservative 6% rate of return (the average is 8%) that came back with this: Investing an initial amount of e0.00 with regular contributions of e200.00 per month could be worth e195,851.18 after 30 years if the annual rate of return was 6.00%.

Even if the rate is 3% for the investment, the return over 30 years is e116,028.02 because of compounding. Even after tax you should be way up?

Very interesting, didn’t realize the difference would be so much. Would be great to see the comparison with fees and taxes taken into consideration, I suspect investing is still the “correct” option but think it would be much closer.

Looking online general advice about investing in the S&P 500 suggests an ETF, however purchasing ETF’s in Ireland is not straightforward and the deemed disposal tax (at 41% of gains) every 8 years will really eat into your compound interest.Also the complicated nature of the tax means that if you are investing 200 per month you would probably need to hire an accountant to do your returns as gains will need to be calculated monthly after the 8 year period.

Alternatively in Ireland people purchase managed funds which aim to track the S&P 500, these helpfully avoid deemed disposal but haves fees which can really eat into annual returns. In addition you will pay capital gains tax at 33% at the end which while better than 41% is still quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

GingerLily wrote:
    The poll only has one option for mortgage holders who don't over pay - which assumes you pocket any extra cash and not have a prudent reason not to overpay.

I suspect few have the option to over pay, as many younger mortgage payers would have paid inflated prices compared to older payers, there's also increased precariousness of employment to contend with

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Makes for grim reading... Difference between here and the UK is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

BailMeOut wrote: »
    If anyone wants a real life example my personal investments which are very conservative with just a few equities with most being in mutual funds and efts is averaging +16.13% per year over the last ten years. Anyone could have made a killing recently with very little market or investing knowledge. This €200 would be the equivalent of €300 to €400 if added to pension yielding €100k over that same ten years or 4x difference. Over time and based on past history this 16% will in most likelihood be closer to 7% but still a better return.

Are you factoring cgt or exit taxes in as well I.e. are the gains gross or net ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,260 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

and yet people pile money into ETFs..

Paying off mortgage early and maxing pension contributions are the way to go. That strategy will build wealth.

Regarding investing after that, Investment Trusts > ETFs. They'll be attract CGT rather than the deemed disposal and 41% tax mess.

6 wrote: »
    and yet people pile money into ETFs..

Paying off mortgage early and maxing pension contributions are the way to go. That strategy will build wealth.

Regarding investing after that, Investment Trusts > ETFs. They'll be attract CGT rather than the deemed disposal and 41% tax mess.

I have actually being looking at Investment Trusts recently, however they seem to hav been removed from Degiro for now so have to decide if it’s worth opening an account elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,260 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I have actually being looking at Investment Trusts recently, however they seem to hav been removed from Degiro for now so have to decide if it’s worth opening an account elsewhere...

Not all as far as I know.

By the way, the folks over at Askaboutmoney are usually very clued in on the type of OP question,and anything related.

If investments were always guaranteed to outperform mortgage rate, why would banks loan to you at 3%, when they can invest in etfs etc and "guarantee" themselves 10%
    Well that's a bit like asking your local newsagent why he doesn't simply become a major retailer, and take on the big boys.

It's true that profit margins are tighter in retail banks, but they have high volumes, and this is where their skills lie. They also generate income from banking fees, personal/business lending, and other lines of credit. It's a type of banking that requires low levels of skill to manage risk — much of the work is done for them the likes of the ECB.

Having said that, it's no surprise that we do, indeed, have more investment banks operating here than retail banks. Retail banks have been deserting the Irish mortgage market precisely because of low returns, and (perhaps more specifically) a risk of deteriorating returns, because of their almost unique exposure to non performing mortgages. That's a whole other debate.

But the short answer is, they have built their reputation — or what is left of one— in retail banking. It would be a bizarre and mammoth operation to leave that behind and morph into an investment bank. Better to be a big fish in a small pond than a minnow who tries to run with the sharks, to absolutely stretch an analogy!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

6 wrote: »
    Not all as far as I know.

By the way, the folks over at Askaboutmoney are usually very clued in on the type of OP question,and anything related.

I don't see any on there now - have looked for Scottish Mortgages and a few others

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

lawred2 wrote: »
    Makes for grim reading... Difference between here and the UK is staggering.

UK decided to get money from the people by selling them shares in privatised industry. Our shower decided to cream off the gains on others investments. Less work to get the tax money on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

This is the most important post in the thread

Why do people say this. Your pension is a risk unless you invest in cash only bonds. Paying down on an asset is much less risky. Outside of the tax benefit I don’t see the obsession with prioritising a pension contribution over a mortgage. Especially so, if you are on the lower tax bracket.

• Advertisement

Why do people say this. Your pension is a risk unless you invest in cash only bonds. Paying down on an asset is much less risky. Outside of the tax benefit I don’t see the obsession with prioritising a pension contribution over a mortgage. Especially so, if you are on the lower tax bracket.

Why is this an either/or?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why is this an either/or?

Exactly.

I both contribute to private pension and over pay mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The rational decision is to invest and not overpay the mortgage (assuming appropriate emergency funds are in place). But people are not rational. It still makes sense to pay down your mortgage for the peace of mind it might bring (again assuming emergency funds are in place).

There's room for investing and paying a mortgage. A fair chunk of the funds for my deposit when trading up came from investment gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SteM

I think many people believe that they need a large lump sum to invest and that could be lost whereas they see a tangible benefit to paying off a mortgage early. I'd never laugh at someone overpaying their mortgage over investing, at least they're not wasting their spare money.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We're paying it down early (term will end up at 10 years as opposed to the 20 year term we took), because we are both in well paying jobs now, but don't want to be doing the same job in 5-10 yers, as they are quite stressful jobs..... So being mortgage free will allow us to take the foot off the gas, and not be so hung up about earning good money.....

We are also doing various home improvements to reduce our overall bills (Driving an EV, Solar PV, Heat Pump, etc.....) while the sun shines...

By overpaying the mortgage and bringing it from 20 down to 10 years, we're saving €50k in interest, which is what the EV cost us, so were looking at that as the result/reward for paying off the mortgage early... and with driving an EV, we are now saving around €2,500 a year on tax/diesel...

By overpaying the mortgage and bringing it from 20 down to 10 years, we're saving €50k in interest, which is what the EV cost us, so were looking at that as teh result/reward for paying off the mortgage early... and with driving an EV, we are now saving around €2,500 a year on tax/diesel...
    I assume you bought that vehicle outright, and not with a car loan.

I can understand people not wanting to invest in a pension when they have a mortgage, if they are uncertain about the future. But I wonder how many people here are paying down their mortgages while paying perhaps twice the rate on a car loan, or are using credit cards to pay bills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

McGaggs wrote: »
    The rational decision is to invest and not overpay the mortgage (assuming appropriate emergency funds are in place). But people are not rational. It still makes sense to pay down your mortgage for the peace of mind it might bring (again assuming emergency funds are in place).

There's room for investing and paying a mortgage. A fair chunk of the funds for my deposit when trading up came from investment gains.

This is nonsensical.

Repaying mortgage debt at a rate of 3% is like getting a GUARANTEED return of 6-7% on a personally-held investment account.

Tax arises at rates of 33%, 41%, and 52-55%.

Plus it costs money to invest in terms of management fees and transaction charges.

And returns aren’t guaranteed; there is the potential to lose money.

So behind Door A is a guaranteed return of 6-7%, and behind Door B is a potential return or loss; I know which one I’d choose and advise people to choose.

My own approach is simple:

1) Build a cash reserve equal to 6 months’ expenditure
    2) Maximise my pension contributions
    3) Maximise my mortgage overpayments
    4) Invest personal cash

This is nonsensical.

Repaying mortgage debt at a rate of 3% is like getting a GUARANTEED return of 6-7% on a personally-held investment account.

Plus it costs money to invest in terms of management fees and transaction charges.

So behind Door A is a guaranteed return of 6-7%, and behind Door B is a potential return or loss; I know which one I’d choose and advise people to choose.

4) Invest personal cash

Almost identical to our own but we're happy enough with a 3 month cash pile

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

This is nonsensical.

4) Invest personal cash

Agree with this.

We just bought and will move in in June. Our emergency fund will be down to about 2/3 months, which makes us nervous. This is because here you have to put down 15%. We are building a bigger emergency fund, which will take us about 9 months (due to having to buy stuff), then plan to overpay an average of about 1200/1500 per month. We live abroad atm so our average rate is 1.11% so want to take as much advantage of that now for when we sell and come home.

We could only get a 50year mortgage here as its not common to pay your mortgage off like at home. However, we can pay it down and haev budgeted to pay it like a 15-20 year.

• Advertisement

This is nonsensical.

Er, no it isn't.

If you're 45 years of age on a salary of 70k, with no pension, you pay about €17.5k per annum in tax.

If you put €12k into a pension instead, you'll pay €12.8k in tax. Lets say your employer matches that with €5k, maxing out your pension limit – now you have 17k per annum in a pension, and you're paying less tax than the guy paying down his mortgage.

It's true that you might lose that money in a freak crash, but about 5k of it was going to the taxman anyway. You were never getting that back. It's as if you are putting about 7k into a pension fund worth 17k.

And at those rates, you're not paying any BIk on your employer's contribution.

Even if your employer isn't making any contribution, and your pension contributions are personal, you're reducing your taxable income significantly, ie investing money you would never otherwise have laid eyes on.

Advertisement