Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

Just like Ray Blanchard’s theories are not the only source of evidence of anything (and thank fcuk for that), Amazon is not the only source to procure a PDF copy of the book you’re referring to. I certainly had no intention of lining the pockets of a journalist whose opinions frankly weren’t worth reading. It’s not the least bit surprising that the book received a nod from Blanchard when it was pretty much supporting his political views. There’s very little in the way of value as regards scientific evidence of anything though, a criticism of the book which has been made by a number of people who have read the book rather than just commenting on how well written or researched it is -

A Review of "Irreversible Damage" by Abigail Shrier

Pundit on boards in armchair casually and expansively dismisses prominent psychologist, researcher and sexologist who has worked for several decades in this area including with many dysphoric and trans people as merely having a ''political'' view.
    Blanchard joined the Gender Identity Clinic at the Clarke Institute of Psychiatry (now part of the CAMH) in 1980. Much of his research in the next 15 years concerned transsexualism and milder forms of gender identity disorders. In 1995, he was appointed Head of the newly created Clinical Sexology Services at the CAMH. This unit comprised the Gender Identity Clinic and the Kurt Freund Laboratory. In 2004, he served as President of the International Academy of Sex Research. He was a member of the Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Work Group for the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Pundit on boards in armchair casually and expansively dismisses prominent psychologist, researcher and sexologist who has worked for several decades in this area including with many dysphoric and trans people as merely having a ''political'' view.

Blanchard is easily dismissed. He is hyper focused on his own theories and won’t consider any alternatives. His studies are rife with methodological problems and his (at the time unproven) theories that cis women do not experience autogtnephilia have since been completely debunked by actual studies.

I’m sure he has a lot of knowledge us “armchair pundits” don’t. That doesn’t make him a good scientist.

It’s not really surprising he endorses a book that tries to explain away a phenomenon that would cast doubt on his own dodgy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s actually an office chair, it just looks like an armchair :D

Jokes aside, what I casually dismissed was the book written by a journalist. Being familiar with Blanchard’s theories, they were acceptable in the 80’s, but 40 years of scientific research since has exposed his theories as nothing more than pseudoscientific garbage.

Or, to put it in the words of the US Tax Court in O'Donnabhain v. Commissioner in 2010 when the IRS tried to put forward Blanchard’s theories in support of their argument -

In its decision, the court found the IRS position was "at best a superficial characterization of the circumstances" that is "thoroughly rebutted by the medical evidence".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Would a review from Kenneth J Zucker, the chair of the DSM-5 Work Group on Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders, be of any value?

Kenneth writes: “In Irreversible Damage, Abigail Shrier provides a thought-provoking examination of a new clinical phenomenon mainly affecting adolescent females—what some have termed rapid-onset gender dysphoria—that has, at lightning speed, swept across North America and parts of Western Europe and Scandinavia. In so doing, Shrier does not shy away from the politics that pervade the field of gender dysphoria. It is a book that will be of great interest to parents, the general public, and mental health clinicians.”

I would say Kenneth’s authoritative view is of huge significance here, wouldn’t you?
    Just like Ray Blanchard’s theories are not the only source of evidence of anything (and thank fcuk for that), Amazon is not the only source to procure a PDF copy of the book you’re referring to. I certainly had no intention of lining the pockets of a journalist whose opinions frankly weren’t worth reading. It’s not the least bit surprising that the book received a nod from Blanchard when it was pretty much supporting his political views. There’s very little in the way of value as regards scientific evidence of anything though, a criticism of the book which has been made by a number of people who have read the book rather than just commenting on how well written or researched it is -

A Review of "Irreversible Damage" by Abigail Shrier

Zucker is another persona non grata, I am afeard, Shield. Like all the wrong kinds of trans people also. And anyone really who does not get in line. Bit by bit though, the people designated ''bad'' by bigoteering - it's a thing, I have heard - are being proved to have had a point, eg with their objection to experimental treatment of juveniles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yes you did?

How strange, I could have sworn that when I wrote that sentence it was much longer and had a totally different context than that which you are implying...

Pardon me while I go and confirm, you may not hear from me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Annasopra wrote: »
    Do you not realise that views like yours contribute towards the "despite" there? Comparing being trans to having a disability, viewing being trans negatively

I didnt compare it to having a disability.

What I actually said was that in both scenarios, i.e. being trans or having a disability people can go on to live normal, successful lives.

People can be ginger and go on to live a normal, successful life, does that mean that being trans is like being ginger in your mind?

Being trans is inherently negative, it means your own perception of yourself doesnt match the sex you were born. How can that be positive in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

GreeBo wrote: »
    I didnt compare it to having a disability.

What I actually said was that in both scenarios, i.e. being trans or having a disability people can go on to live normal, successful lives.

People can be ginger and go on to live a normal, successful life, does that mean that being trans is like being ginger in your mind?

Being trans is inherently negative, it means your own perception of yourself doesnt match the sex you were born. How can that be positive in any way?

Mod

Are you kidding me with this? Lets have a chat via PM. Dont post in this thread again.

Shield wrote: »
    Would a review from Kenneth J Zucker, the chair of the DSM-5 Work Group on Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders, be of any value?

Kenneth writes: “In Irreversible Damage, Abigail Shrier provides a thought-provoking examination of a new clinical phenomenon mainly affecting adolescent females—what some have termed rapid-onset gender dysphoria—that has, at lightning speed, swept across North America and parts of Western Europe and Scandinavia. In so doing, Shrier does not shy away from the politics that pervade the field of gender dysphoria. It is a book that will be of great interest to parents, the general public, and mental health clinicians.”

I would say Kenneth’s authoritative view is of huge significance here, wouldn’t you?

It’s just going to devolve into a game of “my expert says this, my expert is better than your expert”.

OEJ posted a review by a psychologist who is an expert in social contagion. It was roundly ignored here.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    It’s just going to devolve into a game of “my expert says this, my expert is better than your expert”.

OEJ posted a review by a psychologist who is an expert in social contagion. It was roundly ignored here.

Experts on one side of the debate have been backed by the High Court in the UK and by a government enquiry in Sweden in very recent times.

• Advertisement

Experts on one side of the debate have been backed by the High Court in the UK and by a government enquiry in Sweden in very recent times.

Can you point me to where the High Court has made any ruling on the supposed ROGD issue which is what the book was about?

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Can you point me to where the High Court has made any ruling on the supposed ROGD issue which is what the book was about?

I am referring to experimental medication of gender dysphoric children.

I am referring to experimental medication of gender dysphoric children.

But they are two different things. The High Court ruled on an issue of consent. The book is about social contagion.

It seems quite strange to suggest that because the UK high court ruling was in line with what certain experts say about one issue, then we must take everything those particular experts say as fact, even though other experts do not agree with them, and the high court made no ruling on these other issues.

Did Blanchard ever comment on consent?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

volchitsa wrote: »
    Why not? Most transgender people take hormone treatment, usually life long, and many go on to get major surgery that, even apart from the risk of the surgery itself, often leaves them infertile, for trans women at least.

Whereas being gay, which seems to be the preferred comparison for trans activists, only requires people being left to get on with their lives. No medical intervention at all.

I'm not sure what your point is really - you seem to think that all people with disabilities need life long medical interventions which is not the case at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Logical?

Hardly.

It's not logical to think someone who truly believes they have the wrong body is in any way positive.

Exactly. This is a personal judgement you have on the person because they are trans.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Shield wrote: »

I think you’re missing the point I was making. I wouldn’t recommend anyone rely upon any one single source for evidence of anything.

Zuckers opinion of the book which gives him the same nod as his colleague Blanchard (they were both on the same workgroup contributing to the DSM 5, which is not without issues of its own), is of course going to be complimentary. He too, however, makes no specific comment on any scientific evidence in the book (there isn’t any, to be fair :D), but rather comments on how thought provoking it is, and how the author “doesn’t shy away from the politics that pervades the field of gender dysphoria”. It’s an entirely accurate assessment of the book - it’s all about politics! What the author does appear to shy away from, is presenting any evidence which could possibly be regarded as having any scientific merit. It’s like an anti-vaxxer presenting Andrew Wakefield’s opinion on Covid - it makes for a convincing argument if one is already convinced, it’s just confirming their suspicions, which immediately makes one feel smarter at least.

Or, to put it another way - it’s like hiring a child psychologist from Sweden who is regarded as one of the world’s foremost experts on autism, to give his opinions in an inquiry about children’s ability to consent to medical treatment which may include puberty blockers. It presents something of a credibility issue when he sees autism everywhere and is determined to validate his own hypothesis by claiming that instead of a diagnosis of gender dysphoria, it must be some form of autism!

Exactly. This is a personal judgement you have on the person because they are trans.

It's a logical position to judge that someone who feels intensely uncomfortable in their biological body is not a positive.

Nothing personal. Purely logical.

Unless you think it can be a positive to be in conflict with your own biology?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I'm not sure what your point is really - you seem to think that all people with disabilities need life long medical interventions which is not the case at all.

That's not what I said at all.

Your view is that being trans is not a disability and that anyone who says otherwise is taking a negative view of trans people and saying their lives were worthless.

What does that say about your views of the disabled? That it's reasonable to take a negative view of them and even perhaps to think that their lives are worthless?
    I don't see how else to interpret your words.

On a different point: we’ve been told that self declaration would never be abused by men to take their “reserved” places in anything and that only transphobes would even suggest it.

Well....
    https://twitter.com/r_mccormack/status/1392762370393612288?s=21

(The author later corrects this to say that 18 men was the original number of candidates, later changed to 9 men and 9 women by self declaration in order to meet the gender quota of 50% women)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/checkpoints/202101/review-irreversible-damage-abigail-shrier
    ..... neurobiological evidence has found that gender identity resides in the hypothalamus and, as such, is largely immutable.
    Put rather simply, it is literally true that trans individuals have the body of one sex, yet the brain of another.
    I all but face-palmed at this lack of understanding of how androgen exposure in utero, irrespective of chromosomes, can influence hypothalamic development and influence gender identity in turn.
    Reading Irreversible Damage , I found myself with several serious critiques. In the main, I had concerns that Shrier’s attention to science was, at times, superficial.

I think it is worth saying that there is absolutly no evidnece whatsoever that 'androgen expousre in utero' which affects the development of the hypothalamus is what causes one to have a so claimed gender brain/body mismatch.

If the medical science community really belive that this is the explanation, then what research are they conducting to enure that this can be prevented with medication so that noone is ever born transgender in the first place thus avoiding all the mental anguish and need to physically transition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

On a different point: we’ve been told that self declaration would never be abused by men to take their “reserved” places in anything and that only transphobes would even suggest it.

Well....
    https://twitter.com/r_mccormack/status/1392762370393612288?s=21

(The author later corrects this to say that 18 men was the original number of candidates, later changed to 9 men and 9 women by self declaration in order to meet the gender quota of 50% women)

I love this stuff. Anything that highlights clown world is a good thing.

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/checkpoints/202101/review-irreversible-damage-abigail-shrier

I think it is worth saying that there is absolutly no evidnece whatsoever that 'androgen expousre in utero' which affects the development of the hypothalamus is what causes one to have a so claimed gender brain/body mismatch.

If the medical science community really belive that this is the explanation, then what research are they conducting to enure that this can be prevented with medication so that noone is ever born transgender in the first place thus avoiding all the mental anguish and need to physically transition.

There is though, and the scientific and medical ‘community’ are conducting all sorts of research into possible explanations for various phenomena including how androgen exposure in utero affects the development of the hypothalamus and how much these factors contribute to the development of gender identity, sexual orientation and so on -

Brains of transgender people also show certain differences. Scientists found that a structure called central subdivision of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (if you want to sound smart-ass) or BSTc (if you’d rather go with a simple one), which is also located in hypothalamus and essential for masculine sexual behavior, is about twice as big and contains twice the number of neurons in men as compared to women. They also found that Male-to-Female (MtF)-transgenders have a female-sized BSTc (one FtM person was also tested and his BStc showed male characteristics).

What’s interesting is that these differences were preceeding the hormonal therapy and were not influenced by sex hormones in the adulthood. So basically it seems that BSTc matches the gender a trans person feels they belong to and not the gender stated in their passport.

There is more: it was found that there is remarkably less androgen receptors in MtF brains as compared to cis men. This difference could have led to a less effective testosterone signaling, resulting in a lacking “masculinization” of the brain. Also (to continue to bombard you with evidence), an MRI study found that the shape of corpus callosum, a huge bundle of fibers connecting our hemispheres which also differs between males and females, reflects transgender people’s gender and not biological sex (just like with the BSTc size).

As you can see, sexuality and gender are immensely complex topics with many factors contributing to who we like and whether we feel comfortable in our body. And I haven’t even touched other important aspects having a hand in this: genetics, epigenetics, birth order, environmental influence... Science still has a long way to go in unraveling the question of how exactly these things are determined. Still, brain-wise we have some guidance in this mess: seems like the fluctuations in the androgen level before your birth play a role in determining whether you brain will develop in the gay or straight direction and whether you will feel male or female. Anyway, whoever you decide to take home -- this cool girl or that cute guy (or both), have fun and don’t forget about protection!

Wired this way: sexual orientation and gender in the brain.

As far as the second part of your post goes and why scientists and medical and clinical professionals and researchers don’t appear too interested in coming up with some magic beans formula that suppresses the transgender identity and therefore avoids the possibility of anyone experiencing distress as a result of prejudice and discrimination… I think it’s probably easier to address prejudice and discrimination fuelled by ignorance than it is to suggest that someone needs to be fixed in order to avoid being stigmatised by other people.

The context in which the piece was written is to counter the narrative being perpetuated by Abigail Shrier that the phenomenon of what she observes as girls being attracted to the idea of being a man is entirely a social construct, or environmental, that being exposed to influences like Beyoncé’s “If I were a Boy” is influencing young girls to want to become men -

Easily triggered readers are eager to malign this book as transphobic. Some even go so far as to want it banned or burned because they categorize it as damaging hate speech. I guess they didn’t notice that Shrier never says a bigoted word about transgenderism. She even compliments adult trans people whom she interviewed. For those readers paying attention, it is both veiled and obvious that the rabbit hole down which they are traveling leads to the negative effects of feminism. These girls feel there is something wrong with femininity. They don’t want it. Society has taught them that the goal should be to follow in the footsteps of traditionally masculine roles. Shrier points to songs like Beyonce’s “If I were a boy,” to help girls come to that conclusion along with a barrage of social media encouraging the phenomenon of trans boys.

Book Review: Irreversible Damage by Abigail Shrier

This is why I wasn’t surprised that Shield would suggest that a book which gets a nod from Ray Blanchard, you know it’s worth reading. I’m guessing Shield hasn’t actually read the book for themselves. I don’t want to believe they’ve read the book and still think it was worth reading when it’s choc-a-bloc full of comedy gold nuggets like that. I don’t want to believe anyone is that stupid, but God damn, it’s difficult when the evidence overwhelmingly suggests otherwise.

That's not what I said at all.

Your view is that being trans is not a disability and that anyone who says otherwise is taking a negative view of trans people and saying their lives were worthless.

What does that say about your views of the disabled? That it's reasonable to take a negative view of them and even perhaps to think that their lives are worthless?
    I don't see how else to interpret your words.

No. I didnt say any of the above so it is misrepresenting me. My view is you cannot compare trans to being a disability as they are entirely separate. Its also quite odd that everyone linking them and comparing them here brings in long term medical treatment given that not all people with disabilities and not all trans people need that . My view is that if you view being trans as a negative then the logical extension of that is that it is also a judgement on the person because they are trans.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

There is though, and the scientific and medical ‘community’ are conducting all sorts of research into possible explanations for various phenomena including how androgen exposure in utero affects the development of the hypothalamus and how much these factors contribute to the development of gender identity, sexual orientation and so on -

Brains of transgender people also show certain differences. Scientists found that a structure called central subdivision of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (if you want to sound smart-ass) or BSTc (if you’d rather go with a simple one), which is also located in hypothalamus and essential for masculine sexual behavior, is about twice as big and contains twice the number of neurons in men as compared to women. They also found that Male-to-Female (MtF)-transgenders have a female-sized BSTc (one FtM person was also tested and his BStc showed male characteristics).

What’s interesting is that these differences were preceeding the hormonal therapy and were not influenced by sex hormones in the adulthood. So basically it seems that BSTc matches the gender a trans person feels they belong to and not the gender stated in their passport.

There is more: it was found that there is remarkably less androgen receptors in MtF brains as compared to cis men. This difference could have led to a less effective testosterone signaling, resulting in a lacking “masculinization” of the brain. Also (to continue to bombard you with evidence), an MRI study found that the shape of corpus callosum, a huge bundle of fibers connecting our hemispheres which also differs between males and females, reflects transgender people’s gender and not biological sex (just like with the BSTc size).

As you can see, sexuality and gender are immensely complex topics with many factors contributing to who we like and whether we feel comfortable in our body. And I haven’t even touched other important aspects having a hand in this: genetics, epigenetics, birth order, environmental influence... Science still has a long way to go in unraveling the question of how exactly these things are determined. Still, brain-wise we have some guidance in this mess: seems like the fluctuations in the androgen level before your birth play a role in determining whether you brain will develop in the gay or straight direction and whether you will feel male or female. Anyway, whoever you decide to take home -- this cool girl or that cute guy (or both), have fun and don’t forget about protection!

Wired this way: sexual orientation and gender in the brain.

As far as the second part of your post goes and why scientists and medical and clinical professionals and researchers don’t appear too interested in coming up with some magic beans formula that suppresses the transgender identity and therefore avoids the possibility of anyone experiencing distress as a result of prejudice and discrimination… I think it’s probably easier to address prejudice and discrimination fuelled by ignorance than it is to suggest that someone needs to be fixed in order to avoid being stigmatised by other people.

The context in which the piece was written is to counter the narrative being perpetuated by Abigail Shrier that the phenomenon of what she observes as girls being attracted to the idea of being a man is entirely a social construct, or environmental, that being exposed to influences like Beyoncé’s “If I were a Boy” is influencing young girls to want to become men -

Easily triggered readers are eager to malign this book as transphobic. Some even go so far as to want it banned or burned because they categorize it as damaging hate speech. I guess they didn’t notice that Shrier never says a bigoted word about transgenderism. She even compliments adult trans people whom she interviewed. For those readers paying attention, it is both veiled and obvious that the rabbit hole down which they are traveling leads to the negative effects of feminism. These girls feel there is something wrong with femininity. They don’t want it. Society has taught them that the goal should be to follow in the footsteps of traditionally masculine roles. Shrier points to songs like Beyonce’s “If I were a boy,” to help girls come to that conclusion along with a barrage of social media encouraging the phenomenon of trans boys.

Book Review: Irreversible Damage by Abigail Shrier

This is why I wasn’t surprised that Shield would suggest that a book which gets a nod from Ray Blanchard, you know it’s worth reading. I’m guessing Shield hasn’t actually read the book for themselves. I don’t want to believe they’ve read the book and still think it was worth reading when it’s choc-a-bloc full of comedy gold nuggets like that. I don’t want to believe anyone is that stupid, but God damn, it’s difficult when the evidence overwhelmingly suggests otherwise.

I read the book and yes it's a bit cringe in parts. She didn't give enough credit to the argument that transition helps people and focused too much on the contagion effect on it and environmental factors.

I don't think she knew enough about the subject to really do it justice. I found her a bit naive or something.

While the issue of contagion is something to highlight and she has done that. I do think that its worth reading but it is biased.

I would agree with the earlier review that you posted. It's actually the fairest one I have seen. Any other review comes across very hard on one side or the other.

https://fairplayforwomen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Equality-Analysis-Document-E-Wing-Version-16.0-for-publication.pdf

2 primary reasons shaped the decision to locate the E wing for high-risk trans women prisoners with a GRC in the female estate.

One was adequate provision of female services - though it was acknowledged that these services could be provided in the male estate also. For some reason, not at the same level, it seems - are we talking hair dressing here, or what exactly? There are surely very few medical ''female'' services that will be required by a trans woman that could not be equally provided elsewhere.

Two was the provision of greater opportunity for ''association'' with ''other'' women. Albeit risk assessed. Though association nonetheless, because if it is considered such a primary motivation for housing dangerous trans prisoners in the female estate then one can presume association will be intended to be a part of the prisoners life.

Association with other women. These high risk prisoners are often sex offenders. That is PRECISELY what makes them high risk by definition. Otherwise they would be low risk prisoners who had stolen something or not paid their TV license or whatever. But no, these are sex abusers for the most part, and mostly of women and children, and yet.. their ''association'' with women is notably prioritised as a specific justification for housing them in the female estate.

https://fairplayforwomen.com/transgender-prison-policy/

Initially when one starts to read this, perhaps it is tempting to think, fair enough, something has to be done for trans women prisoners, they are in danger in the male population. I agree, they are. But the rationale begins to really become odd when one thinks more deeply about it.
    Provision of female services and increased possibility of association with other women for high risk prisoners.

And yet in the same breath the policy makers state that because male prisoners (any of them - no matter what they are in for, joy riders, bag men, whatever) would be automatically presumed to be an omnipresent danger to a trans man, therefore a different policy will have to be put in place IF they ever get a trans man prisoner. IE that trans man will have to be protected from ALL male bodies because of the danger to them.

That does not even make sense.

That does not even make sense.

From an operational point of view it makes sense to consider all factors, and it would appear from their assessments and experience that transgender men do not pose the same risk to other men as transgender women do to other women -

This service is planned to only meet the needs of transgender women in the women’s estate. Operationally no equivalent need has currently been identified for transgender men in the male estate because, as far as HMPPS is aware, there are no transgender men within the male estate. If the operational requirement arose for transgender men in the male estate, the operational need for transgender men may be for a unit which is to safeguard them from potential harm in the male estate. The Transgender Complex Case Board will however have to consider this carefully when making decisions around transgender men moving into the male prison estate.

There has currently not been any need for an equivalent unit in the male estate for high risk transgender men. There appear to be two significant factors – there have not been any cases of a high risk transgender man being moved into the male estate who presents a high risk of harm to other men. The proportion and degree of vulnerability seen in the women’s estate is not seen in the male estate. The scale of the male estate means that it is more able to meet specialist needs e.g. vulnerable prisoner units.

I imagine as well as having regard for the safety and welfare and rights of all prisoners in their care and avoiding circumstances such as happened in the case of Karen White, they’re equally keen to avoid circumstances like this arising in the future -

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) failed to prevent systemic breaches of inmates human rights when they were unlawfully strip searched at a privately-run jail.

The searches involved four inmates at HMP Peterborough in 2017, including one inmate who was menstruating.

Sodexo runs the prison and admitted it had breached MoJ privacy rules through its failure to properly train staff.

The MoJ should have had effective safeguards in place against privacy breaches, the High Court has ruled.

The inmates involved in the strip searches in July and September 2017 were three women and a transgender prisoner, who was transitioning from female to male.

HMP Peterborough inmates were illegally strip-searched

it would appear from their assessments and experience that transgender men do not pose the same risk to other men as transgender women do to other women

It's odd, isn't it.

It's odd, isn't it.

Not when viewed in the context of operations within prison facilities it isn’t, no. Is there an actual point you’re trying to make? I thought we’d moved past the whole throwing something out there and hoping something sticks method of discussion? If not, then this story from the Daily Mail is Abigail Shrier levels of Chicken Licken style moral panic -

Married transgender women prisoners who were denied phone calls or visits with each other win High Court fight after challenging decision to only let them communicate by letter

Using the logic that sex offenders should be placed in the opposite sex estate of their victims, carries with it it’s own set of potentially disastrous consequences, but I wouldn’t suggest thinking about it too much. It might become obvious why the HMPPS have to consider ALL factors, and not just the ones which certain lobbyists consider should be the only relevant factors worth considering in how inmates are treated in prison.

It’s worth noting btw that HMP Whatton is the largest prison in Europe for adult male sex offenders -

Inside Europe's biggest sex offenders' prison

isha wrote: »
    It's odd, isn't it.

I wonder how much research it took to ascertain that trans men havesomething like female levels of strength and trans women maintain male levels of stregnth?

I bet some graduate from the School of the bleeding obvious got well paid for that bit of stunning research. :D

• Advertisement

I wonder how much research it took to ascertain that trans men havesomething like female levels of strength and trans women maintain male levels of stregnth?

I bet some graduate from the School of the bleeding obvious got well paid for that bit of stunning research. :D

Their reasoning isn’t based upon the levels of strength of either sex though? It’s based upon a number of criteria specific to the conditions of inmates in the prison. Either “female levels of strength” or “male levels of strength” are fairly nebulous concepts which don’t actually mean anything in the context of ability or capacity to commit sexual violence against other people, and assessments are done on an individual basis as well as having regard for the rest of the prison population and the facilities which are provided in prison, whether they can be provided for in the women’s prison or the men’s prison and so on.

I’m not surprised that lobby groups would fund research which supports their sweeping generalisations intended to influence policy decisions. The same lobby group that isha uses to make her points are the same lobby group that tried to suggest the rise in the number of reports of female perpetrators of child sexual abuse was due to men who commit sexual abuse of children being recorded as women.

Even graduates from the school of the bleeding obvious would struggle to explain away the simple fact that it was because more reports of female perpetrators of child sexual abuse were being reported, is the reason for the rise in the number of female perpetrators of child sexual abuse being reported between 2015 and 2019 -

Female child sex abuse 'remains taboo' while victims struggle

Just to provide an Irish context btw on the issue of female perpetrators of child sexual abuse -

In conclusion, the current findings suggest that female perpetrated abuse affects 1.5% of the population, which translates to over 68,800 people in the Republic of Ireland. However, conviction rates and awareness of this type of abuse are still relatively low compared with male perpetrated abuse. As noted by Peter (2009), although female perpetrated abuse is less prevalent than male perpetrated abuse, denying a woman’s capacity to sexually abuse children only succeeds in silencing this type of abuse. It is only through the acknowledgement of, and research on, such abuse can we provide informed evidence-based prevention and education programmes, and appropriate treatment and assessment procedures for such abuse.

Female Perpetrators of child sexual abuse: characteristics of the offender and victim

And that’s notwithstanding the fact that regardless of their sex, the vast majority of perpetrators of child sexual abuse are known to their victims, with estimates that 90% of abuse is committed within families and close relationships as opposed to the commonly peddled politically motivated myth of women and children being attacked by men in dresses or men using the gender recognition act to gain access to women and children in order to commit abuse. They don’t need to, and they would be under even greater scrutiny in places like women’s prisons or domestic shelters, etc if they tried to gain access to these places, yet that’s supposed to make sense?

It would only make sense to anyone who’s a complete pinhead, but otherwise? It makes no sense whatsoever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement