Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby Killed in Police Shootout in US

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I think we need a US current affairs section for all the apparent American boards members on here....

Baby should have been wearing a bullet proof lunch box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I think we need a US current affairs section for all the apparent American boards members on here....

Nah, just for overheal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Nah, just for overheal.

You've ignored two mod warnings to discuss the thread topic. Both of you are threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

Hhhhh wrote: »
    Genuinely don't get the obsession with America and the goings on there. Mississippi is over 6000km away. Go that far roughly Eastardly and you end up in Pakistan.

The following ,inter alia, might have some relevance.......

Ireland - English speaking , mostly Christian, many Irish kin in USA

USA
    English speaking , mostly Christian ,many Irish kin

Pakistan -Urdu speaking , mostly Muslim , minimal Irish kin

• Advertisement

boardise wrote: »
    The following ,inter alia, might have some relevance.......

Ireland - English speaking , mostly Christian, many Irish kin in USA

USA
    English speaking , mostly Christian ,many Irish kin

Pakistan -Urdu speaking , mostly Muslim , minimal Irish kin

Australia, NZ, Canada all meet your above criteria. Don't here about any of those countries near half as much, aren't near weekly threads posted on boards about the latest happenings there.

The op seems to think we need to keep an eye on the regular police shootings there lest the Gardai here, who are predominantly unarmed, start doing the same. Tis a bit ridiculous. It's a shame a baby died, but really, how many here in Ireland, or outside of America, really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I think we need a US current affairs section for all these irrelevant threads

... or at least force people to put [US] in the thread title so we know its not a baby shot in Ireland

Man murders two people, kidnaps infant and goes on a police chase across statelines, people die in shootout. The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

Hhhhh wrote: »
    Australia, NZ, Canada all meet your above criteria. Don't here about any of those countries near half as much, aren't near weekly threads posted on boards about the latest happenings there.

The op seems to think we need to keep an eye on the regular police shootings there lest the Gardai here, who are predominantly unarmed, start doing the same. Tis a bit ridiculous. It's a shame a baby died, but really, how many here in Ireland, or outside of America, really care.

We have seen some many PoC being killed in the U.S. People want to allow the cops here have more weaponry in order to deal with heavily armed gangs. We need to be very careful to tread the right path. We need to hear from victims of gun violence in America and across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Video but tbh it just adds to the confusion around this incident

News clip with video

• Advertisement

hawley wrote: »
    We have seen some many PoC being killed in the U.S. People want to allow the cops here have more weaponry in order to deal with heavily armed gangs. We need to be very careful to tread the right path. We need to hear from victims of gun violence in America and across the world.

Plenty of people if all races are killed by police in America. Some justified, some not. Why you seem so determined to focus on 'PoC' only you can know. Virtually Noone is calling for the Gardai to be armed, outside of those who are already, which is the minority. Noone in Ireland is calling for an Americanised police force, or American style policing.

We do need to thread the right path, but looking to America will teach us nothing as its not at all relevant to here. The social climate, police culture, gun culture, gang culture, are all vastly different. You can keep posting your threads everytime a black, or 'PoC' , person is killed by the police, and ignore all the times a white person is, all you want. I don't really care, ultimately. But don't pretend there's much of a lesson in it for Ireland, or indeed anywhere. There isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

biko wrote: »
    Video but tbh it just adds to the confusion around this incident

News clip with video

Conspicuous audio cuts at inopportune moments mean we have no idea who shot first, but I don’t hear any commands from the officers even to amongst themselves.

Overheal wrote: »
    Conspicuous audio cuts at inopportune moments mean we have no idea who shot first, but I don’t hear any commands from the officers even to amongst themselves.
    Why did they go in in such an aggressive manner. They knew there was a baby in the car. We need to hear the audio without it being redacted. They could have saved La'mello's life. It's tragic, but it's becoming all too common. The level of training for the cops is not up to scratch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Why did they go in in such an aggressive manner. They knew there was a baby in the car. We need to hear the audio without it being redacted. They could have saved La'mello's life. It's tragic, but it's becoming all too common. The level of training for the cops is not up to scratch.

It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't things. The man had just shot and killed the kid's mother, and in general wasn't exactly acting rationally. Are they really better off sitting back and waiting to see whether or not he decides to kill the baby and himself before moving in? Such things have happened.

If he exited the car shooting, their options just became even more limited.

I don't see an issue with the pursuit other than it was a wasteful amount of resources - surely there's diminishing returns after you pull the 12th or 13th patrol car away from other crimes or investigations. As to chasing him that's reasonably justified if he was armed and posed a threat to the child or others. And he was involved in a murder, so there's that.

One thing I don't hear in any of the above videos is any mention of a human shield, so for the moment I'm happy to dismiss that as someone gaslighting, either the news station or the lone anonymous source they chose to get that from.

If he exited the car shooting, their options just became even more limited.

Is that in the video? Either I missed it or camera shake etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It says he exited the car before being shot. I'm not sure what the fine details were, hence the 'if'.

It says he exited the car before being shot. I'm not sure what the fine details were, hence the 'if'.

Fair, was just asking, looking for more info about this one.

I feel that if he got out of the car with the child in his hands like a shield the way its been suggestively reported, we would have heard more than one anonymous source on it.

Probably just the case that a dozen+ cops opened fire on one target and that storm of bullets hit an innocent. Similar tragedy that nearly happened with Rayshard Brooks' killing, the cop almost killed/injured someone in another car, that vehicle was struck by their gunfire. In that sense, some of this is overkill. And not necessarily new overkill, either: the 2011 shooting by Miami police that videographer Narces Benoit captured on his cellphone. They turned the car into cheese on a city street with pedestrians around, and then pointed the gun at Benoit before handcuffing him and attempting to search his phone. He had the good sense at the time to pluck the SD card from the phone and hide it under his tongue. Another reporter from Local10 had their camera equipment seized. We almost never learned of the incident outside of a Miami police statement.

In the 10 years since we have the body cameras now, and we need to address the overkill tactics.

We don't know how La'mello died during the shootout. It seems like the police didn't proceed with due caution. It's a tragedy for his family.

"BILOXI, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi NAACP chapter is demanding access to reports and videos that show how a 3-month-old baby died after his father was killed in a shootout with police on a highway on May 3. The request follows similar calls from activists with Black Lives Matter Mississippi.

“The Biloxi NAACP is calling for a thorough and transparent investigation,” the organization said in a statement on Facebook. “It is important that local authorities proactively work to increase transparency and grow public trust.”"
    https://apnews.com/article/ms-state-wire-naacp-race-and-ethnicity-cf024e8a235c9b3a063a30b5a5ac1ad4
    It's important that we see the bodycam footage. It would clear up how the police behaved and how baby La'Mello was killed. The number of cop cars in the chase is staggering. Up to fifty involved. We need to keep calm and not rush to any judgement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement