Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nature in the News

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is quite the leap:

Rewilding puts land at risk of wildfires – INHFA
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/rewilding-puts-land-at-risk-of-wildfires-inhfa-621121

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

this is quite the leap:

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/rewilding-puts-land-at-risk-of-wildfires-inhfa-621121

i saw that, not surprised coming from that anti-nature lot though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Very disappointing to read that. Pure ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

this is quite the leap:

I stopped reading that article when the spokesman said how well resourced the NPWS are. Did anyone ever go on google maps and scroll across Ireland , there's little to no native forestry in the majority of the country , it's just fields upon fields with the odd bit of commercial spruce forests around. We've the lowest percentage of native forest in Europe . Just aswell we don't have anymore or we could be seeing massive fires like they do in Australia every year .

Amazing what happens when you have a fence to keep sheep away from land

https://twitter.com/IrishRainforest/status/1390562684039536642

I was watching a programme about the over abundance of goats in the middle east that's contributing massively to desertification due to nothing having a chance to grow and with a warmer climate the deserts keep growing. It's the same with the 100 of thousands of camels in the wild in Australia aswell .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I stopped reading that article when the spokesman said how well resourced the NPWS are. Did anyone ever go on google maps and scroll across Ireland , there's little to no native forestry in the majority of the country , it's just fields upon fields with the odd bit of commercial spruce forests around. We've the lowest percentage of native forest in Europe . Just aswell we don't have anymore or we could be seeing massive fires like they do in Australia every year .

The country is thick with trees did you try to buy a farm lately coilte are buying anything that comes up in the west of the country

lab man wrote: »
    The country is thick with trees did you try to buy a farm lately coilte are buying anything that comes up in the west of the country

What trees are they going to plant commercial or native ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Good observation. The poor funding of the NPWS is a national scandal and we had Greens in gov twice now and it is not been solved. We have great conservation NGOs but I wonder is it the case that they spend most of their time being proactive doing independent conservation projects, while the likes of housing, arts, health, immigrant, gay/trans and even climate NGOs spend more more time political lobbying and get special deals while the frontline conservation NGOs don't and funding suffers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

news to me that coillte are on a buying spree?

The poor funding of the NPWS is a national scandal and we had Greens in gov twice now and it is not been solved.
    to be fair, the funding of the NPWS nearly doubled last year.

• Advertisement

news to me that coillte are on a buying spree?

Surprised to hear that too but conservationists have told me there are a lot of funds buying up forests.

yes, funds maybe, but not coillte?

Eddie B wrote: »
    Very disappointing to read that. Pure ignorance.
    the article also claims that there is a 'well established' rewilding policy in the national parks. there's no such thing, i don't think most of the parks have a management plan in place at all.

the article also claims that there is a 'well established' rewilding policy in the national parks. there's no such thing, i don't think most of the parks have a management plan in place at all.

It is a bit weird of them to say that but I presume it refers to the low intervention management which is standard here, unlike say in UK national parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Awful news here :(

"18 elephants suspected killed by India lightning strike" (RTE)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

to be fair, the funding of the NPWS nearly doubled last year.

There's a lot of criticisms that can be fairly levelled at the Green Party already in the lifetime of this government, but in less than a year they've done more than successive FG and FF governments did for NPWS over decades.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

It is a bit weird of them to say that but I presume it refers to the low intervention management which is standard here, unlike say in UK national parks.

Could you define 'low intervention management'?

I think it was just the INHFA getting a dig in at rewildling, rather than anything with any sort of grounding in reality.

Good observation. The poor funding of the NPWS is a national scandal and we had Greens in gov twice now and it is not been solved. We have great conservation NGOs but I wonder is it the case that they spend most of their time being proactive doing independent conservation projects, while the likes of housing, arts, health, immigrant, gay/trans and even climate NGOs spend more more time political lobbying and get special deals while the frontline conservation NGOs don't and funding suffers.

BirdWatch Ireland, An Taisce and some other eNGOs do lobbying at national and european level, but it's very difficult against other well-established interest groups which have a much better national foothold. Also very hard to fund lobbying. There's money out there for monitoring projects and conservation projects, but very hard to get money to do things like look at planning applications, lobby government, draw up policies etc.

The recent 'discourse' around An Taisce and government funding is both laughable and frustrating - they don't get a single cent of government funding for lobbying etc. They get it for the Green Flag schools programme etc, and they can't spend that money on anything except the project it was given for!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The only "positive" thing is that at least it wasn't poachers.

Could you define 'low intervention management'?

I think it was just the INHFA getting a dig in at rewildling, rather than anything with any sort of grounding in reality.

Yes he could be just trying to attract rewilding. I am referring to grass management, burning and sheep grazing. I know some of these activities occur in national parks but not really at the same level as your typical hills. Of course of all sites, national parks are designed to be 'low intervention management or rewilding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The whole windfarm thing has worried me for a while now - apart from their visually intrusive nature - I am concerned about how the offshore farms will impact on seabird migration. Surely there must be some simple method for warning off birds? :(

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The whole windfarm thing has worried me for a while now - apart from their visually intrusive nature - I am concerned about how the offshore farms will impact on seabird migration. Surely there must be some simple method for warning off birds? :(

If they paint one of the blades black it reduces kills by 70%

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/black-wind-turbine-blades-help-birds-avoid-deadly-collisions-180975668/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its a pity most wind developers don't even bother with such simple measures, which says alot about the type of people in the industry and the BS/spin they pump out about their green credentials

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Their impact on invertebrates doesn't get enough attention

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-57282281.amp

Really starting to root for this guy now. I have no idea what his prospects are. Obviously capable of very long trips, but whether he can return to a more propitious latitude is hard to tell. Perhaps there may be some intervention, but the ethics of that are questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Fair play to the Greeks for protecting these jewels from this growing menace

https://birdwing.eu/newsletter31#Win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

2020 is most productive year on record for Barn Owls. Link.

Advertisement