Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

were The Clash punk? what were they?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bitzzyfitz

Punk is most certainly not dead, I photograph/Video about 50 gigs a year.
    It's mostly underground, DIY.
    Of course it's not as big as it's hey day of the late 70s.

Tell me Punk is dead after looking at The World's biggest Punk festival held in the Winter gardens in Blackpool.
    http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/350678

Punk (as a movement) was all about being original/diy/3-chords/havin a go/gettin rid of ''so called hippy bands''/lengthy guitar solos''/all those cliches. anything after that was just a copy. its influences are worldwide as we know it. punk arrived in dublin later than london/i was in the dandelion market every saturday and i gigged there. punk was a huge changing point in my life and i am still playing ''punk music'' in a band over 30 years later. my point was that the originality was gone when the ''leather jacket/mohawk brigade'' emerged and everybody looked like everybody else.

cheers

bitzy

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭smurke

dregin wrote: »
    My problem is with the fact that that quote you're using doesn't appear in this thread so has nothing to do with it.

It appears in the thread as a signature. I'm asking one person a question. Why can't you just ignore it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

He's right you know. I missed that myself.

Although the post is from 2005. So you may not get a reply.

and I missed that!, thought it was a new thread, didn't pay attention to the date, ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Tell me Punk is dead after looking at The World's biggest Punk festival held in the Winter gardens in Blackpool.
    http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/350678

Wow - It might not be dead but judging by those photos its cetainly put on a few pounds and gained a few laughter lines since I went to the gigs way back when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

bitzzyfitz wrote: »
    Punk (as a movement) was all about being original/diy/3-chords/havin a go/gettin rid of ''so called hippy bands''/lengthy guitar solos''/all those cliches. anything after that was just a copy. its influences are worldwide as we know it. punk arrived in dublin later than london/i was in the dandelion market every saturday and i gigged there. punk was a huge changing point in my life and i am still playing ''punk music'' in a band over 30 years later. my point was that the originality was gone when the ''leather jacket/mohawk brigade'' emerged and everybody looked like everybody else.

cheers

bitzy

Punk is youth and you're an old **** so **** off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Easy on the personal insults. I'm gonna let that one go as it is probably just misdirected anger at the system.

It's also about the least punk thing you could have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

smurke wrote: »
    and I missed that!, thought it was a new thread, didn't pay attention to the date, ah well
    SAME HERE LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

On a related note - Theres a tribute album to the Clash's Sandinista triple album. Its got artists like Wreckless Eric and The Coal Porters and camper Van Beethoven.

Its free until tonight here:

http://blog.guterman.com/2010/03/09/the-sandinista-project-once-again-free-for-a-limited-time/

Is it punk? Musically probably not but in spirit definitely.

bullpost wrote: »
    On a related note - Theres a tribute album to the Clash's Sandinista triple album. Its got artists like Wreckless Eric and The Coal Porters and camper Van Beethoven.

Its free until tonight here:

http://blog.guterman.com/2010/03/09/the-sandinista-project-once-again-free-for-a-limited-time/

Is it punk? Musically probably not but in spirit definitely.

Cheers for the heads up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

D/l this and looking at the artists I feared the worst too, I was right, Ivan meets GI Joe by one Jason Ringenberg is some poxy C+W version...aaarrggghhhh
    It's terrible.

Guess this is kind of an answer to how The Clash became, I mean once people like this who cover the tracks er cover 'em it's ex Punk time.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BaelNaMblath

Everyone says the clash is punk, but they're definitely a pop band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jed cooper

Its a hard sell to say the Clash were a Ska or Reggae band.. or even a pop band. They were a punk band (of course) but I bet if you asked them directly back in the day they would simple decline to answer. Being genre-less is the mark of great musicians with much creativity to give. The rules applied in this conversation do not apply.

In the UK back in the late 70's the Punk scene and the Reggae/Ska scene were very closely tied. Reggae was the preferred after-party music of the punk scene so its easy to see where the bands were getting their ideas.

The above list of tracks is incomplete.

Strongly Reggae/Ska influenced Clash songs:
    -Revolution Rock
    -Bank Robber (Robber Dub)
    -Wrong 'Em Boyo
    -The Guns of Brixton
    -Rudie Can't Fail
    -(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais
    -Pressure Drop (a Toots and the Maytals cover)
    -Armagideon Time (Justice Tonight/ Kick It Over) (a Willie Williams cover)
    -Police & Thieves (a Junior Murvin cover)
    Others...?

There are so many ska/reggae influenced songs from the Clash the task of listing them is difficult but in the above list the influence is obvious.

1979's London Calling has at least 4 Reggae/Ska influenced songs on it alone. Lets see what other Punk/Reggae things were going on that same year in the UK?
    1979:
    -The Slits release the album "Cut"
    -The Specials release their first album "The Specials"
    -Stiff Little fingers covers Bob Marley's "Johnny Was"
    -The Police release "Reggatta de Blanc" (White Reggae) including the track "Bring on the Night"
    -Madness release their first record.

I think The Clash were musical chameleons, moving from pub rock to punk to ska to pop. There's a continuity there in the development of the sound that continues through to Big Audio Dynamite. Never saw them as a punk band really, and that isn't a dis - they just weren't constrained by the punk recipe book.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

I'd say they started off as punk but as they progressed they didn't limit themselves to just playing punk rock. They took on board a lot of other genres and incorporated those styles into their music. IMO they were punk at the start yet they tried different genres as time went on and still put a punk spin on them so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

their first album was certainly Punk from the production to the playing
    but they did become a different beast and from Give 'em enough on became the greatest band in the world.

Advertisement