Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ska reccomendations

Options
  • 05-02-2009 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Can anyone reccomend me some good ska? Fast, rocking ska, not too heavy on the trumpets, nothing like Reel Big Fish, even start me off with the classics as well as some of the more modern stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

There's a band called [Spunge] that would fit the bill, pretty feel good, up tempo ska, no trumpets from what I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭davewhowho

the beat,the specials,bad manners,the selecter,lauriel aiken,desmond decker, there your classics man!!!!

then check out a band called the mighty mighty bosstones!

your all set now man hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DropkickDaire

The Bosstones are a great shout - Let's Face It is one of very few 'perfect albums', imo anyway.

There's a sweet band called Streetlight Manifesto up and coming. You should check them out too. Less Than Jake's lates album (GNV FLA) is quite good too.

Then of course there's bands like The Specials etc. And Desmond Dekker and the Aces.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Operation Ivy

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

the Pietasters are also good well anything before the last album

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

Catch 22, Mustard Plug and I think someone has already said Streetlight. I don't think these bands are TOO horn heavy but that can be a matter of opinion. Plus I love Reel Big Fish any way lol

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Against all authority and Buck-o-nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

RX Bandits.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

MoskovSKAya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭davewhowho

does anyone have the ability too start a ska band?

im an expierienced drummer looking to form a ska band.....

gimme a shout if your able and would like too.

davewhowho@yahoo.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

The Bosstones are a great shout - Let's Face It is one of very few 'perfect albums', imo anyway.

Less Than Jake's lates album (GNV FLA) is quite good too.

Yes!! The Bosstones are absolutely incredible!! But nothing beats good old Less Than Jake. They are my favourite band of all time =]

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭skazztenor

superconor wrote: »
    Can anyone reccomend me some good ska? Fast, rocking ska, not too heavy on the trumpets, nothing like Reel Big Fish, even start me off with the classics as well as some of the more modern stuff.

Well...The Skatalites just have to be tops!! What about Skazz?
    www.myspace.com/skazzie or Youtube Skazz-Bernies tune,
    see what you think....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Rancidmaniac13

My favourite would be Big D and The Kids Table.

Really good ska, with just the right amount of horns.

Also Operation Ivy. Already mentioned but worth mentioning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

against all authority
    le plebe for spanish/english mix
    hellraisins
    bucket o'fish
    link 80

AAA rule.
    Also. Come see les skalopes in the tap tomorrow night.... Monday 20th.

www.myspace.com/lesskalopes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

dregin wrote: »
    AAA rule.
    Also. Come see les skalopes in the tap tomorrow night.... Monday 20th.

www.myspace.com/lesskalopes
    Forgot about this gig, awesome band.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

the slackers are excellent. check out their albums wasted days, the question and peculiar. Brilliant stuff. I've also heard rumours that they might be playin dublin in may, allegedly. If you get the chance, you should check them out. They're absolutely amazing live. I saw them in the crawdaddy a year and a half ago and it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

There's a sweet band called Streetlight Manifesto up and coming. You should check them out too. Less Than Jake's lates album (GNV FLA) is quite good too.

thats basically catch 22. their redo of keasby nights is awesome

sublime
    suburban rhythm
    sonic boom six for something a bit different but still ska
    rx bandits
    look at hellcat records, they have s ome good ska that are light on trumpets

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭busttropical

Here we go!!

Sublime are my favourite of all time anyway.. Then Bosstones, Streetlight, Planet Smashers. Some NOFX stuff is skanky out, and the band The Flatliners first album is unreeealll!!

Check out Capdown, craziest fastest ska I ever heard :D

Less than jake, buck o nine, ORESKABAND (japanese all girl ska band i saw on the warped tour and loved!), Skatalites, some rancid stuff!

And the SUICIDE MACHINES! They were one of the best ever in my opinion. Check out the album Destruction By Definition.

And also check out my ****ty little ska band spitvalve. nootch ;)

Saw the flatliners in Cardiff and they were ****ing awful.

• Advertisement

I saw em here and they were sh-it hot. I was a fan before they came here anyways so i loved it. Went drinking with them afterwards haha funny times

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Here we go!!

Sublime are my favourite of all time anyway.. Then Bosstones, Streetlight, Planet Smashers. Some NOFX stuff is skanky out, and the band The Flatliners first album is unreeealll!!

Less than jake, buck o nine, ORESKABAND (japanese all girl ska band i saw on the warped tour and loved!), Skatalites, some rancid stuff!

And the SUICIDE MACHINES! They were one of the best ever in my opinion. Check out the album Destruction By Definition.

Sublime and Capdown are both fantastic bands.

As personal favourites in the genre I'd add Random Hand and the magnificent Voodoo Glow Skulls,both are heavier than the other stuff mentioned here (ie Bosstones,LTJ etc) but are great nontheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Mad Caddies are worth a listen, nice mix of laid back and fast.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

SB6 and upgrades played last night. epic stuff

dont love sonic boom but i do love the upgrades haha!

Them and chewing on tinfoil are two good irish ska bands..
    Theres a class cover band in cork called Pontious Pilot and the Naildrivers they do all sorts of specials/madness etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Mark Foggo (up tempo ska from Holland in english though)
    Toasters
    Deltones
    no sports
    Bim Skala Bim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RachLovesToRock

Sublime were the kings of ska.
    Big D and the Kids Table are great.
    Bosstones are equally great.
    No Doubt are kind of Ska, some songs more than others.
    Less Than Jake.
    oh and Toasters :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RachLovesToRock

Here we go!!

dude who's this from spitvalve, i love spitvalve! :) here, do ya know anyone wanting to start a band? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stumbleine09

davewhowho wrote: »
    the beat,the specials,bad manners,the selecter,lauriel aiken,desmond decker, there your classics man!!!!

then check out a band called the mighty mighty bosstones!

your all set now man hahaha

agree with all of the above,check out the Skatalites:)
    Or the Aggrolites for something a bit lighter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Jim wrote: »
    Mad Caddies are worth a listen, nice mix of laid back and fast.

Yup, great band. They're playing in August in the Academy with the Upgrades supporting. Should be a great show! :)

Advertisement