Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Day as a Punk/Rock Band: Yay or Nay?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

True punks never say they are punk, they just are.

So Green Day are the true embodiment of punk music.

Now, click 'unfollow thread' again and come back in another few weeks and see what's grown out of that statement. Fun times, like when you were a kid and you wondered what that carton of milk would smell like if you left it untouched for feckin' ages. It's such a punk thing to do.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Malice wrote: »
    Is there a reason why the swastika in that picture is the wrong way round?

That's not the real picture; it's the picture as it appears when viewed in a mirror. Obvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That's not the real picture; it's the picture as it appears when viewed in a mirror. Obvs.
    Ah I see. Then "Chava 94" wrote their name backwards just to complete the illusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauwastika

Buddhist punks f*ck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Clearly, you're not familiar with the new romantic phase that the Damned went through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

nopeh. Never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Who da fcuk are greenday...........i know the name from somewhere...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

dont mix wit greenstar :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31 seanmca

Who cares? They are what they are. Punk isnt set in stone, its not up to somebody to say THATS punk and THATS not...
    Music is always changing and evolving, remember when pop-punk was an insult? now its a genre.

Punk bands nowadays are not even comparable to punk bands years ago, you cant say that either band is better or one is punk and the other isn't because punk isn't about labels.

In the words of Marge Simpson "If you're really cool, you don't need to be told your cool"

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brennaldo II

Punk is not about breaking down what the genre means or stands for. Punk is about being you, standing up for what you believe in and not caring what people think of you because of it..

.. to the people who think Green Day are 'sellouts' and lost their true punk side, I'll leave you with this quote from Elvis Costello in a documentary about the bands early history:
    "You gotta decide if you wanna keep repeating yourself
    in the hope of keeping those first few people interested,
    or if you want to be true to yourself, which in some sense
    is more punk than anything"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

A rock band alright. and a 'punk' band..

but not a punk band as punk instills a stubborn attitude toward stadium stuporstars in finding the most obscure diy raucous incendiary **** that is most defo not green day.

You lot are quite young I take it? well.. wait til you taste the hard stuff :D but don't go gratituous hardcore just for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Don't be such a condescending arse, everyone starts somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zkevinz

Green day are a pure punk band, maybe not there recent music like there album 21st century breakdown. its like they changed genre with this album, but with there music back in the 90's punk all the way

Clearly, you're not familiar with the new romantic phase that the Damned went through.

that was pretty fückin ropey alright. vanians look from back then was nabbed for tim burton's sweeney todd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I wonder what the OP thinks bands like The Undertones and Blondie are? They were part of the punk pop generation - they weren't hardcore - but punk doesn't have to be hardcore? But do we need to look back in history now and delete these bands from punk history, because some people only recognising hardcore punk?

The OP was only offering his opinion - but I think he needs to be educated...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

zkevinz wrote: »
    Green day are a pure punk band, maybe not there recent music like there album 21st century breakdown. its like they changed genre with this album, but with there music back in the 90's punk all the way

:rolleyes:

Nothing to do with punk..no way,no how.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Degsy wrote: »
    zkevinz wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Nothing to do with punk..no way,no how.
    As I've said previously in this thread, I think that some people here have a lack of understanding of what punk actually is...

Green day are punk style but no substance. like the image punk tressed up in bondage gear but with no real grasp of the true essence this is PUNK kids where even Jello f'n Biafra got called a rockstar and was attacked for overrecognition.

I urge you lot to delve into early 80s underground in particular and as punk was a fairly subdued genre with the likes of new-wave pop given airtime as 'punk' anyhow I mean the real underbelly - the real essence, the real time and place there's punk ethic, there's punk music can't have one without the other but you'll be wanting the music moreso

Advertisement