Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Honda Quad Problem

• 26-09-2011 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Honda TRX 500 FM

2 weeks ago the solenoid started to click and it wouldn't start on the button sometimes. Last week, it stopped starting on the button altogether. However, it was starting every time on the pull cord - really very easy to start with the cord - even on cold mornings.

Yesterday I was out moving cattle. Went up and down a lot of hilly ground and was weaving over and back behind the cattle to keep them moving. I wasn't too hard on it. The ground was wet, but I went through no puddles or water. Anyway, the quad cut out. It was very hard started with the cord and if I moved it up into second gear it cut out again. Finally got half way home in first gear, it was losing power all the time and it cut out altogether and would not start again. Towed it home.

It started yesterday evening, but I had to keep a finger on the throttle to keep it from dying. It started today as well, but I had to keep the choke open about 1/4 way to keep it running.

Have a neighbour who is a mechanic, he's going to look at it for me this evening. Any hints or tips as to what he should look for?

Could it be an electrical problem and be linked to the quad not starting with the button or is it more likely something else mechanical?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 shot_ov_a

reilig wrote: »
    Honda TRX 500 FM

2 weeks ago the solenoid started to click and it wouldn't start on the button sometimes. Last week, it stopped starting on the button altogether. However, it was starting every time on the pull cord - really very easy to start with the cord - even on cold mornings.

Yesterday I was out moving cattle. Went up and down a lot of hilly ground and was weaving over and back behind the cattle to keep them moving. I wasn't too hard on it. The ground was wet, but I went through no puddles or water. Anyway, the quad cut out. It was very hard started with the cord and if I moved it up into second gear it cut out again. Finally got half way home in first gear, it was losing power all the time and it cut out altogether and would not start again. Towed it home.

It started yesterday evening, but I had to keep a finger on the throttle to keep it from dying. It started today as well, but I had to keep the choke open about 1/4 way to keep it running.

Have a neighbour who is a mechanic, he's going to look at it for me this evening. Any hints or tips as to what he should look for?

Could it be an electrical problem and be linked to the quad not starting with the button or is it more likely something else mechanical?

Any suggestions appreciated.

did ya get it sorted? id say its a charging fault at a guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The solenoid clicking but the starter motor not turning is usually caused by a low battery, or a loose connection from battery to starter. Possibly the alternator not charging it properly, and with the battery running down, it might be causing running problems. Or just the battery itself could need replacing. These are just a possibility, amongst other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Thanks guys, got nothing sorted yet. Bought a replacement spark plug for it - thought I might as well change that too for better performance. Hopefully he will have time to look at it this evening.

Lads,

Would any electro-mechanic workshop that has a lot of experience of repairing car starters be able to refurbish a quad starter? It probably needs new brushes. Would a shop like this be likely to have the correct brushes in stock?

Further update.

Took the starter off and tested it. It doesn't run - so that's one of the problems. Brought it to an Auto Electrics place close to work and they recon that they will have it fixed for me this afternoon so long as it isn't a catastrophic failure :o

Next problem is the fact that the quad is losing power. It won't idle properly, cuts out after a minute. When you drive it, and get up into third or fourth gear and you are fairly moving, it will splutter and conk out. Could it be the electrical fault on the starter that was causing this to happen? There also appears to be a jingle noise from the carburettor that wasn't there before. Could this be the problem? Any ideas appreciated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

i have a honda and gave the same clicking noise on the solinoid-starter and used to give it a wack with a wrench or stone and it would start on the button. maybe the problem with cutting out might be fuel.with quads fuel is often topped up with drums or cans and things can get a little dirty and cause problems.i dont think there is a proper fuel filter but i think there is a bowl or such like that can be cleaned out.if there is some of you guys might know .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This may sound wrong, but put a new battery in it.

I have 3 Honda Quads, a 2002 450 electric shift, a 2006 500 electric shift and the 2006 680 auto.

The only times I have had any issues with any of them is when the batteries were low. New batteries solved the issues.

Additionally a friend with a 2003 450 had shifting and running issues similar to mine. I told him to put a new battery in it - hey presto, running smoothly again.

I know it doesn't seem right, but these quads need a well charged battery to function properly. Running with a low battery, the alternator simply doesn't keep up with the electrical demand placed on it if there is any form of electric shifting/auto tranny.

The pull cord is just for emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Sounds like your battery is too weak. I have the same problem at the moment on my Honda 350FM. Have to buy a new battery today:(

Problem solved.

Starter needed new brushes.

Engine idle problem was low engine oil. Once the oil was changed and filled to the proper level she ran perfect. Quite lucky that the engine didn't seize. Compression checked and there is no smoke. Hopefully she will be fine.

Thanks for the input

Thanks for updating us.
    Glad all is solved!

• Advertisement

Out of interest, how old is the bike? I have never heard of this type of problem, even in bikes that are used everyday.

A friend of mine manages a 10,000 acre ranch in California and uses his Honda 6 days a week. He has yet to replace his starter motor (but at 40 miles a day has been through a lot of other components!).

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Out of interest, how old is the bike? I have never heard of this type of problem, even in bikes that are used everyday.

A friend of mine manages a 10,000 acre ranch in California and uses his Honda 6 days a week. He has yet to replace his starter motor (but at 40 miles a day has been through a lot of other components!).

Its a 2007. Its used 2 hours a day, 7 days per week. Started about 20 times a day. The guy that rebuilt the starter said that he gets them in all the time, and from a lot newer quads than mine. My parents had a new car and the starter went after 14 months. The starter on the quad is used a lot more than on a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

reilig wrote: »
    Its a 2007. Its used 2 hours a day, 7 days per week. Started about 20 times a day. The guy that rebuilt the starter said that he gets them in all the time, and from a lot newer quads than mine. My parents had a new car and the starter went after 14 months. The starter on the quad is used a lot more than on a car.

It would be unlikely the brushes would be worn down completely though. What could happen is they stick in their metal guides and the springs no longer keeps the brushes in good contact with the motor comutator.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    It would be unlikely the brushes would be worn down completely though. What could happen is they stick in their metal guides and the springs no longer keeps the brushes in good contact with the motor comutator.

I don't really know to be honest. I haven't a clue about starters. My mechanic reconed that if they were just stuck then a tap with a rubber mallet would loosen them. It worked for about 2 seconds, and the noise out of it didn't sound good. Starter repair guy just said that they needed replacing, soldering and skimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 zitaron

clicking solenoid? cure 90% of time is new starter brushes, check battery terminals, check battery.
    the other 10% it's the regulator/rectifier gone bad, or , very rarely, the starter itself.
    on some newer Hondas i've seen broken magnets inside the starter, and that required a complete replacement

you were very lucky with the oil issue -- change quad oil EVERY 100 HOURS OR 500 MILES. And drain and replace the diff oil every 2 years.
    Do that and the engine/transmission will last 20+ years.

Advertisement