Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Student from Germany visiting Ireland

Options
  • 15-02-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everybody,

I am flying to Dublin next week and I will be traveling in a rented car for three days. It will be my first time there.

My intention is to learn more about the irish culture and the irish people. I have searched around the internet about places I can visit in Dublin and the areas around. There is some information, but very few in my opinion.

I would kindly ask anyone of you local experts to give me some tips or "hidden" places I could visit. Are there any ancient sites or good informative museums?

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards.
    Wish you all a pleasant weekend.
    Lieben Gruß

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Newgrange and the Boyne Valley structures generally - older than the Pyramids.

You will not really need the car within Dublin city.

All the National Museum sites are good.

Tschuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Kilmainham jail

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Stewball

Nevermind Dublin.

Drive west and keep going until you see the Atlantic - Westport, Clifden, Galway city, Doolin, Lahinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

No shortage of ancient sites anyhow! You will be spoiled for choice :)

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,983 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Give Dublin one day, then get out to the west.

• Advertisement

Stewball wrote: »
    Nevermind Dublin.

Drive west and keep going until you see the Atlantic - Westport, Clifden, Galway city, Doolin, Lahinch.

He is only here for 3 days!
    Not enough time to go driving to the west

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

spurious wrote: »
    All the National Museum sites are good.

And free.

But if you've already paid for your car rental, you'll be wasting your time staying in Dublin. As others have said, you don't need a vehicle to get around - just a Leap Card.

Three days isn't really anywhere near enough to learn much about the country - it might be look small (especially compared to Germany or France) but every county is packed with history and culture.

If you do have a car, though, I'd get out of Dublin immediately. Do a triangular route over three days - either
    - north out of Dublin to the Boyne Valley, then cross-country towards Sligo-Leitrim, then down to Galway and back to the airport; or
    - south through the Sally Gap to Glendalough, down to Waterford, along the coast to Cork and back to Dublin; or
    - straight out of the airport and over to the west coast to feel the full force of whatever storm's on the agenda for that week, drive around Clare/Galway/Mayo for a couple of days, and straight back to the airport.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Kilmainham jail

And head over to the War Memorial Gardens and the Phoenix Park when you're done.

Dublin is a great city for visitors - ignore what most people from outside Dublin say about it, and most of what those from Dublin do too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Chester Beatty museum in Dublin castle is a nice place to visit.

The blue light pub has nice views overlooking the city

Hoary head or killiney hill are nice places for a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Das Wichtigste ist, auf der linken Straßenseite zu fahren! Viel Spaß :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 germanTourist

Thank you very much for your replys. Very interesting responses I didn't think about. I know I only have a few days this time, but I will surely go there again. The low cost airlines make it for me as a student possible.
    Thank you very much again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Exactly. Ireland is not going anywhere. We will be here when you come back again, and again.

And again maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

spurious wrote: »
    Exactly. Ireland is not going anywhere. We will be here when you come back again, and again.

And again maybe.

Yeah, once we figure out how to move the country somewhere warm, we are gone.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kyrasubmit

thank you

Advertisement