Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone here travelled abroad?

• 16-10-2020 9:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

How safe is it to show affection as a same sex couple? I'm well aware that Ireland and Europe/North America/Australia are anomalies when it comes to gay rights. Most of the world would be at the least judgemental and worst, imprison and beat up gay people.

But what are some okay countries and no go countries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

How safe is it to show affection as a same sex couple? I'm well aware that Ireland and Europe/North America/Australia are anomalies when it comes to gay rights. Most of the world would be at the least judgemental and worst, imprison and beat up gay people.

I don't know, I'm not gay either. But if I were I wouldn't show affection in the more conservative countries, just in case. A lot of societies disapprove of straight couples showing affection too. I suppose it's a case of 'when in Rome, do as the Romans'.

I'm sure there are many people on this board who would have personal experience of travelling in conservative foreign countries so know a lot more than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I had a look on wikipedia and same sex marriage is legal in Taiwan and Cambodia recognises civil partnerships as does some parts of Japan. There are a lot of countries where legislation is pending so that's encouraging. Interestingly, in some countries where homosexuality isn't even legal, lesbian relationships are. Perhaps that's something to do with patriarchal societies. It seems like human beings still have à long way to to be fully accepting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Post edited. Its not really appropriate to make the original poster the topic of the thread.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I was in a pretty swanky hotel in the middle East and at reception they asked me and my male companion if we would like the same bed or separate.

Pretty sure money talks, and unfortunately skin colour. Of course inside the walls of an expensive hotel is not the same as being on the streets outside of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Knock yourself out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory

Be especially careful Fegelien if you are in the following. The current punishment is death, some by stoning on torture. Although if you are hell bent on a bit if torture I am sure anything can be arranged.:P

Death penalty currently in

Afghanistan
    Brunei
    Iran - Female homosexual acts are not tolerated but the death penalty is rarely enforced on women - but they do get flogged.
    Mauritania - under review since the 80's
    Nigeria - rarely enforced
    Saudi Arabia
    Somalia
    UAE

As a rule I would say if you are travelling with a same sex partner in these countries I would keep it safe and opt for separate rooms. It is unlikely as a tourist that they would harrass you imo..... but I would prefer it if you did not travel to these countries. Given their current track record for abusing human and LGBT rights they should not be supported, at all imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

MOD

I understand some people might feel irritated at this thread but its best not to drag it off topic to discuss the OP. Any queries send me a PM.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Hi
    From my experience Netherlands , Spain, Italy, Swiss Austria Germany ALL got fabulous venues and open minded people. Absolutely no issues holding hands sitting on lap outside. Nobody cares. Pity Ireland still 50 years behind the times and the poor out country lads/lassies cant be themselves because of Mammy/Daddy and the Priest. (sweeping statement) Im not Irish and had open upbringing thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Even within liberal countries like Germany or Spain attitudes can vary in different parts, what would be acceptable in larger cities might attract stares in rural parts or smaller towns.

You should be fine in western Europe though, eastern Europe and perhaps Italy being less tolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

mikel97 wrote: »
    Hi
    From my experience Netherlands , Spain, Italy, Swiss Austria Germany ALL got fabulous venues and open minded people. Absolutely no issues holding hands sitting on lap outside. Nobody cares. Pity Ireland still 50 years behind the times and the poor out country lads/lassies cant be themselves because of Mammy/Daddy and the Priest. (sweeping statement) Im not Irish and had open upbringing thankfully

You went to those places as a tourist then I'm guessing? That will be a different experience.
    Personally I think people in Dublin are the most open minded to gay people that I've ever met in my life and I can't say that I've ever felt even slightly uncomfortable in a situation because of my sexuality since at least 2015. But of course I'm sure the situation will be a little more hassle maybe for people in rural areas not necessarily that people will treat them poorly but he gossip might be overwhelming.

I have no doubt big Swiss cities are wonderful places to live a lifestyle uninhibited by your sexualiity but again it's important not to generalise the attitudes of large countries. Switzerland for example..1 in 4 Swiss people opposed gay marriage as of l2016..More than 1 in 3 oppose the idea of gay couples adopting children. Not such a perfect society?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Switzerland
    And you say 'no hassle' with sitting on laps well I don't expect 'hassle' as in physical violence or verbal abuse unprovoked in any civilised society regardless of whether it's homophpbic or not. The cultures in some of the countries you mentioned are quite reserved just because they don't voice criticism directly does not mean they are supportive of it and if they knew you in a personal context that would not necessarily discriminate towards you somehow based on that behaviour. Not to burst your bubble, I know these places are decent for gay people to live in and the best we can get in this world, but something to think about. It's definitely can improve and I certainly wouldn't go bashing Ireland(which it seemed you were doing, maybe I'm wrong) based on your experiences there.
    There's no country, no country and no region in the entire world, sadly, that is without bigotry.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There are a lot of sweeping generalizations and some downright wrong or inaccurate views being expressed in this thread.

Yes, Western Europe is the most socially advanced region on the planet, and North America, Oceania, much of South America and parts of East Asia are accepting or at least tolerant of same-sex relationships and displays of affection, but even within a small country attitudes can and do vary.

Basically when it comes to the LGBT traveller, the Middle East and most of Africa are no-go areas unless you want to be deep in the closet. Places that are anti-gay/homophobic also tend to be sexist, racist, xenophobic and generally very backward and ignorant. Religion is the chief culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

In fairness I think flaunting homosexual behaviours can still be upsetting to older more conservative people. I would not be offended by this at all. For me tolerance works both ways. It is about respect. Open displays of affection should be fine, but I don't often see heterosexuals wearing the face off each other on the bus either? There is a common decency which any sexuality has to respect.

There is a difference between intimacy and flaunting and being disrespectful to the general public. Knee sitting is painful at the best of times:). I mean cool if it is in a crowded bar, but who the phuck goes around sitting on each others knees in a restaurant or at the cinema?

Expression is all well and good, but i think it is fair enough to not go around antagonising the entire room, there is a line between intimacy and showing off.

Advertisement