Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great get together last night

Options
  • 25-08-2010 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Couple of notes on things I'm thinking about after last nights meeting:

Ground rules - there was discussion on attribution, ownership of ideas, etc and potential commercial activity emerging from the lab. I think a simple set of ground rules might help here - we need to balance creation of a trust based environment were people aren't afraid to share ideas with one that people can use to develop business ideas, start-ups etc. without worrying their IP will be 'stolen'

Themes/projects - I think everyone agreed identifying some core themes/projects/focus areas where members could form into teams was a good idea. 3D Virtualised environments was one that came out yesterday, another might be PR via flash mobs, etc. Are there specific projects around the hardware?

Big visible charts - I think the idea of big whiteboards, cards, post-its etc for each theme/project was generally accepted as a good idea - I've used these a lot to help self-organising professional software development teams and would love to try out a version for a hacker/labs scenario. Theres lots of advantages:
    • Everyone can see at a glance how a project is going, who's involved, etc
    • It provides a physical focus for each team
    • It co-ordinates members who might be there at different times, allowing them self-organise the work
    • It could be a great training ground for agile development methods for anyone looking at moving into professional software development
    Thanks again for last night - I'll be back! Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kevflanagan

Hey,

The real value of the hackerspace is the wealth of talent and experience that the membership bring without that it is an empty shell. Building trust among members is key to a successful space. People need to feel comfortable about sharing knowledge, skills and ideas without the fear that someone might take advantage by taking those ideas for their own personal for profit interests.

Hackerspaces are about sharing and learning and for this reason I think 091Labs projects should be sharable and take inspiration from the open source and creative commons communities.
    Projects are about peer learning not making money.

The hackerspace remains a great place for networking and meeting talented people. That it would be in itself not for profit does not mean that members can not or should not get together otherwise to work together on for profit projects outside of the space. Or in the space but I think such projects need to be clear about their objectives.

The space should nurture creativity and mutual trust is a big part of that.
    No doubt great things can come of such a vibrant space with so much talent and inspiration, for business too but we will have to find some kind of balance if we dont have trust and openess we dont have anything.

This is important isnt it

I've copied this to 091labsdiscuss also

Regards

K

Advertisement