Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Memories of Pope's visit to Galway, 1979

• 21-09-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

As the 30th anniversary of Pope John Paul's visit to Galway is coming up soon (30 September), I was wondering would people like to share their memories of the occasion, and also their memories of the Galway of thirty years ago and how it has changed since.

I'm working on this for a local paper so any help from any of you would be hugely appreciated. Feel free to PM me or post your message here.

Thanks!

Michael McHale
    snip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

mchalem4 wrote: »
    Hi all,

As the 30th anniversary of Pope John Paul's visit to Galway is coming up soon (30 September), I was wondering would people like to share their memories of the occasion, and also their memories of the Galway of thirty years ago and how it has changed since.

I'm working on this for a local paper so any help from any of you would be hugely appreciated. Feel free to PM me or post your message here.

Thanks!

Michael McHale
    <snip>

I remember being born that day.

Also, remove your email address or you will get a flood of spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder what proportion of people in Ireland now were born overseas, so have absolutely no memory of this at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A lot of 29 year old John Pauls around these days

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I removed mail address
    Will move to Media Interaction forum later/tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I remember being 5 but getting wheeled in a buggy to the gig cos we had to park so far away

And i remember pointing up a helicopter cos i saw somebody wearing white in the window and asking was that him

And we had hang sangwiches and red lemonade picnic

And me and my brother and sisters got pope badge souveniers and ma got holy water and my dad smoked a few fags

That's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

That's the story to run with I think Michael... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A friend from school had an uncle 'high up' (politics business, dunno, was a kid!) who couldn't go, so she got to go instead and bring a friend.
    Had to have a photo ID done (ha ha) as we were in the red carpet section.
    We were back a fair few rows, but despite being versed on good behaviour, we snook up front for most of it and had great craic and waved flags!
    That's all I remember, apart from the echoy speaker system!

Whoops, sorry, misread, and thought it was the Dublin mass..I wasn't in Galway for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I was in Knock on top of a damp and dreary hill for about 6 hours, sitting on a little fold-up stool, chewing on a 'hang' sandwich, peering at some distant figure dressed in white. Then they canceled the Popemobile - it was all rather anti-climatic. I was a bit young to go down to Ballybrit.

I wonder how many would show up if the present incumbent was to repeat the 1979 visit?

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I wonder how many would show up if the present incumbent was to repeat the 1979 visit?

I was wondering the very same thing. Ireland was a very different place back then. Everybody went to mass and being religious was pretty much taken as a given. Everybody liked that pope too.

the new guy is downright evil looking :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I was 7 at the time. Wasn't living in Galway back then, but the parents had been telling myself and my brother how we'd be going to see him in Drogheda. Needless to say, myself and the brother couldn't have cared less about the event and would have rathered stay at home and miss out on the occasion.

As luck would have it, a week or so before the gig, a stray dog showed up at our house (in very poor shape) in the week or so beforehand. It turned out the dog was heavily pregnant and had a litter of seven, two or three days before JP's gig.

So the morning of the big event arrived, and the dog died, leaving us to look after the seven pups! Never did get to go to the gig (what a shame! :D ). The pups were all hand-reared with bottles, by the way, and all survived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Tzetze wrote: »
    I was 7 at the time. Wasn't living in Galway back then, but the parents had been telling myself and my brother how we'd be going to see him in Drogheda. Needless to say, myself and the brother couldn't have cared less about the event and would have rathered stay at home and miss out on the occasion.

As luck would have it, a week or so before the gig, a stray dog showed up at our house (in very poor shape) in the week or so beforehand. It turned out the dog was heavily pregnant and had a litter of seven, two or three days before JP's gig.

So the morning of the big event arrived, and the dog died, leaving us to look after the seven pups! Never did get to go to the gig (what a shame! :D ). The pups were all hand-reared with bottles, by the way, and all survived.

I'd take that day over seeing the smelly old pope any day...did you throw the after birth against the oven door for good luck!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fanadfanad

I was 8. I remember it on TV - and my Granny went to see him in Knock.

I particularly remember my Mother being very impressed with his "young people of Ireland" speech.

You know, 5 years later, I went to Galway to visit my cousins, and Ronald Reagan was there (I recall the big cars with the long-coated special service gaurds). I remember thinking how lucky the people of Galway were - all the cool people visit there!!! Nobody went to Donegal!

And lets face it, they don't come much cooler than Ronald Reagan

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fanadfanad

McTigs wrote: »
    I was wondering the very same thing. Ireland was a very different place back then. Everybody went to mass and being religious was pretty much taken as a given. Everybody liked that pope too.

the new guy is downright evil looking :eek:

You know, if I remember correctly, that was the first time we went to Mass on a Saturday to fulfill our Sunday obligations - all the priests were off to see the Pope on Sunday, so they weren't around to do Sunday mass.

Now, you can gt your Sunday Mass any Saturday evening!

They even put the pope on the postage stamps!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I was only 2 weeks old, My dad was minding me on his own as my mam had gone into the see him with my older brothers and sisters for the day...

My dad said it was the first time he ever had to change a nappy in his life! After 14 years of being a dad it took him that long to change a nappy!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement