Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭vtec_vixen

The best I ever heard was there was a programme on about a couple that called their child after where she was concieved, Now Paris, would be a rediculous name but they might've got away with that..

No. 16 Bus Shelter as they so lovingly christened their newborn - on the other hand is another matter entirely.

Oh and their was also Talula-does-the-hoola-in-hawaii, who changed her name to Kate by Deed-Poll when she was nine apparantly.

Some Parents are twats... :pac::pac::pac:

just imagine Talula in certain accents lol Taaaaloooooooleeeeeeeehhhhh gerrin for yer dinner.!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/jul/24/familyandrelationships.newzealand
    apparantly some also tried to call their child 'Sex Fruit' according to the above article.Poor mite.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Koa. What the hell was yer man from Westlife thinking?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Caraville wrote: »
    Chelsea, Jordan (for a boy or girl), Clarice, Charity, Chantelle, Charmaine- all names of students I've had & felt sorry for with those names.

In fairness though I doubt many people would have a problem with the name Jordan if it wasn't for the model. Put Katie Price out of your mind and it's not a bad name at all.

A cousin of mine has a daughter called Rianna but she was born a couple of years before Rihanna the singer ever became famous. They're probably regretting that name choice now!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I'd say 90% of most unmarried mothers around here... they all seem to have this unrelenting fascination with double barreled names! bella-may's one that comes to mind...

ive heard some traveller called shakira?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I've got two mates (brothers) called Risteard and Ruairí. Quite odd considering they grew up in Darndale...

Why is that odd exactly? Because Gaelgeoirs only live in Galway/Kerry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Latrina in a common accent.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Have heard some great ones through work but Shakoncé is the one that sticks out the most! The mum couldn't choose between Shakira or Beyoncé and was afraid either name would be too common so decided to combine them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,413 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Didn't David Beckham call his son Brooklyn because he was conceived there.
    Good job he didn't spend any time around Hackballscross.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Even if there was something awful about the name Shakira why must you all lie about knowing one? Come on, if you're going to make **** up at least make it in some way interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

"Xaaaaaaaavier! Stop kickin that fuppin ball on the train."

Think you'd need to be a bit more European for a name like that. Not a pasty 3 year old little sh*t who was kicking his ball at everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Renesmee .

Why is that odd exactly? Because Gaelgeoirs only live in Galway/Kerry?

You've never been to Darndale have you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I know of a toddler, about 2, named Bruce!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ElleEm wrote: »
    I know of a toddler, about 2, named Bruce!

They should have waited until he was 18 to christen him? :confused:

44leto wrote: »
    Some of them are, but I somehow associate them with the celtic tiger and Irish Pride"

Everyone of my many nephs and nieces have them, I can't even spell some of their obscure gaelic names.

I'd think that stems from the Ross O Carroll Kelly books .:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,413 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Even if there was something awful about the name Shakira why must you all lie about knowing one? Come on, if you're going to make **** up at least make it in some way interesting.

I wonder who has a daughter with the name Shakira.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Not a kids name but I was at a group interview for a job. There was a lad there called Tristan.

"Tristan".....

Clearly a Vampire Slayer in his spare time.

I've always really liked Juno .

They should have waited until he was 18 to christen him? :confused:

Now i'm confused! I never mentioned anythin about him being Christened?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

5starpool wrote: »
    Someone I worked with called her child Jupiter, and the surname is Jones.

Jupiter Jones. What a stupid fuking name.

It's actually kind of a cool name. I could see it really suiting a certain type of person. Much better than Shakira (I've also met several freckly little Irish Shakiras)/Beyonce/Chantelle/Charmaine.

This isn't really a terrible name, but it always annoys me. Friend of a friend has a kid called Mia. Nothing wrong with that. Except it's pronounced 'Mye-uh', not 'Mee-uh' and the idiot has the gall to get annoyed with all the people who actually pronounce the name the way it's spelled. I asked her why she didn't just spell it Mya and she said she didn't like how it looked. So now the poor kid is facing a lifetime of correcting every single person who ever reads her name out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Waiting to pick up my son in the school yard there before the break and i heard a well to do posh voice dad saying "come on Rihanna, we must not keep mummy waiting" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Access wrote: »
    Waiting to pick up my son in the school yard there before the break and i heard a well to do posh voice dad saying "come on Rihanna, we must not keep mummy waiting" :D:D

The thing is, Rhianna/Rianna is a real name. I grew up in England and knew several kids with that name back in the early 90's. They all must hate it now.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    The thing is, Rhianna/Rianna is a real name. I grew up in England and knew several kids with that name back in the early 90's. They all must hate it now.

It's common enough in Wales too, Rhianna, Rhianon, Rhianydd etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Caraville wrote: »
    Also, if you name your daughter Sorcha, then it's pronounced "Sur-uh-ka",
    In English, in would be pronounced "Surka"
    not Soorsha or Sohrsha or whatever made up sheeeite you're coming up with.
    Are you confusing it with the different name "Saoirse" (pronounced "Sayr-sha" in English)?

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Friend of a friend has a kid called Mia. Nothing wrong with that. Except it's pronounced 'Mye-uh', not 'Mee-uh' and the idiot has the gall to get annoyed with all the people who actually pronounce the name the way it's spelled. .

I think Maya is a common enough name alright. Would have saved the child and herself the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Rihanna (Seriously)

My friends neighbour is called Cascada...

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

had found out off a support worker [whose husband is african] that people in parts of africa name their child after the day it was born on though they generaly name their children after something important.
    had wondered what do they do if they get a child for each day and have another?:confused:
    ugh,cant imagine been called thursday with dad being from tipp [ie, "turdsday"].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

44leto wrote: »
    All the stupid Gaelic names

ANY of them

A 5 year old in my child's class is named Sadhbh - what a curse. Guaranteed she'll change it to "Sally" or something more pronouncable as soon as she has to deal with people in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Scartbeg wrote: »
    A 5 year old in my child's class is named Sadhbh - what a curse. Guaranteed she'll change it to "Sally" or something more pronouncable as soon as she has to deal with people in the real world.
    or she could change it to Sive (as in the John B Keane play)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Nice one.

If/when I have a kid (who would have to be a boy, considering the name) he will be called naoise (my favourite name from Irish but also doubles for my love of Nietzsche)
    Not necessarily, I know two little girls called Naoise !!

I hate the name Oscar (always reminds me of the grouch in Sesame Street, or an my neighbours old dog who smelled horrible)

Ray D'arcy was onto a woman before Christmas who had 5 kids with bizarre names the youngest was Sahara Saoirse (WTF ???)

Advertisement