Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any mathematics undergrads make a career engineering?

Options
  • 10-05-2021 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was wondering if any of you sound engineering people would have advice for a lost mathematician.

To explain, I have a maths background and several years experience working in predictive modelling in finance. While I enjoyed my undergraduate studies I am now starting to regret the choice of maths overall. The reason primarily is because I find that finance makes up the bulk of the job opportunities and is something that I have found to be lacking in satisfaction from a meaning point if view especially lately. I had always liked engineering and had done an electrical engineering course on corsera a few years back and found it to be quite enjoyable.

So

I was considering retraining into engineering by taking up a master's, however It seems many only accept students with adequate pre requisites which would probably rule me out. So basically what I'm asking is, has anyone made this transition, either by taking up a course or a job that gave the required experience to get into the field? And if so would you have any advice you would deem pertinent to an individual attempting this in their mid thirties?

I know I'm asking a lot but any help at all would be really appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Some colleges offer a bridging course for non engineering students to do that would enable them to do a masters.

In DCU it's called the Access course and is for Mech and Manufacturing Engineering.

Just looking at their electronic postgrads and there's a Masters Qualifier course.

https://www.dcu.ie/courses/postgraduate/school-electronic-engineering/masters-engineering-qualifier-electronic#tab5

It may or may not be suitable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭NiceFella

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Some colleges offer a bridging course for non engineering students to do that would enable them to do a masters.

In DCU it's called the Access course and is for Mech and Manufacturing Engineering.

Just looking at their electronic postgrads and there's a Masters Qualifier course.

https://www.dcu.ie/courses/postgraduate/school-electronic-engineering/masters-engineering-qualifier-electronic#tab5

It may or may not be suitable for you.

Thanks very much for that suggestion. I actually wasn't aware a transition course like this existed. I will take a look into it for sure. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I would guess that marketing teams, who are the first point of contact for external masters programmes, would get these kinds questions often enough to have good advice to hand. eamarketing@ucd.ie is UCD's engineering marketing team for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭NiceFella

mikhail wrote: »
    I would guess that marketing teams, who are the first point of contact for external masters programmes, would get these kinds questions often enough to have good advice to hand. eamarketing@ucd.ie is UCD's engineering marketing team for example.

Another great suggestion, appreciate it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

How about doing data analytics / modelling in an engineering context instead? There are multiple worthwhile areas where this is becoming important (e.g., healthcare data, IoT applications etc.), and you could use your existing skills. If you end up liking the subject area but want to get more detailed, then look at an eng course.

My experience is that's most company's data analysis capabilities significantly lags their data generation. They're starting to realise this now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Bsharp

Transport modelling to add to Turbulent Bill's point. At this stage, possibly all major transport plans and projects are assessed using models that need to be developed and calibrated and applied to assess how the scheme works and its benefits. Modellers are in short supply too.

National Transport Authority and Transport Infrastructure Ireland both have models for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd say there would be opportunities in electronic/software engineering areas, where you don't need to be a chartered engineer. I know of people in intel with arts degrees for medieval irish for example.

especially with some post graduation work experience, you should be able to find something for you somewhere.

Advertisement