Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Black Eye - Ewan McKenna

Comments

Yeah I don't agree with that at all. His points have been refuted already in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Yeah I don't agree with that at all. His points have been refuted already in this thread.

They haven’t really though, they’ve just been disputed by a rugby fanboy like yourself as opposed ‘refuted’. He’s an arsehole, granted but he does highlight an awful lot of issues within the sport of rugby but more importantly the sacred cow that is Irish rugby.

Anyway, I’m sick to death of seeing discussion on Irish rugby in general let alone the pro versus anti camps so back to the podcast, the last few have been utter garbage. His producer Tony is a thoroughly unlikeable fella, annoying might be a better description and is most definitely not made for radio, a bit like Ewan. Both of them very hard on the ears. The begging for cash at the beginning and end is painful, it’s not even a simple nudge or reminder but more like a door to door salesman that won’t piss off and is bordering on threats. He mentioned they are getting 20 thousand plus downloads per show which are good numbers so he should potentially look for a new sponsor and work things out business wise from his end instead of badgering listeners for cash to the point of embarrassing himself.

His interview technique is dire, guests are given free reign and go completely unchallenged. I also can’t understand his logic in producing a 2 and half hour show as opposed to 4 or 5 half hour segments similar to Dunphys the stand. The best interview was with a clearly very high Floyd Landis but you have trawl through other pieces, in this instance a totally unhinged Palestinian activist, which have no connection to the topic you might be interested in so why have a very lengthy single show instead of a few? Anyway, all round, fairly sh*te stuff of late, can’t see myself rushing to listen to any new shows.

A rugby fan boy, aka someone who actually knows what's their talking about. Anyway I agree, I've done this debate to death. Best to nip it in the bud.

Everyone here always nips things in the bud once they've had the last word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

His producer Tony is a thoroughly unlikeable fella, annoying might be a better description and is most definitely not made for radio, a bit like Ewan. Both of them very hard on the ears. The begging for cash at the beginning and end is painful, it’s not even a simple nudge or reminder but more like a door to door salesman that won’t piss off and is bordering on threats. He mentioned they are getting 20 thousand plus downloads per show which are good numbers so he should potentially look for a new sponsor and work things out business wise from his end instead of badgering listeners for cash to the point of embarrassing himself.

I'm not a fan of McKenna so I'm already biased, I won't listen to the podcast but wanted to hear how bad the begging was. Wow. I listen to a lot of podcasts and have never heard it being put forward like that. As you said, it sounded almost threatening.

Going from the sound quality they aren't spending much on equipment so would the money just be used for guest appearance fees?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They haven’t really though, they’ve just been disputed by a rugby fanboy like yourself as opposed ‘refuted’.

I'd like to think that the very least you could take from my posts is that MacKenna regularly says things that aren't true, or isn't what he says they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Morrison J wrote: »
    Have to say I agree with pretty much everything MacKenna says about Irish rugby and he's being proven right time and time again.

That was actually quite good. Skip to 4 minutes in if you're watching, lots of bollocks before the debate starts.
    I like rugby, I've gone to loads of matches, but I'd agree with a lot of Ewan MacKenna has to say. Basically, there's a lot of bollocks talked about rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I agree with a chunk of what he says, but I can't warm to him. It's fair enough to sacrifice sacred cows, but he seems like such a joyless character.

An honest question, people who are more expert than me can answer here, does he spend much time ever giving things praise or mentioning something that makes him happy to endorse in sport? Anytime I ever hear him he's always coming at things with a negative spin. There's a lot of hypocrisy and bollocks in sport and it's absolutely fine to call that out, but, jesus, you have to take some joy in something - otherwise what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Arghus wrote: »
    An honest question, people who are more expert than me can answer here, does he spend much time ever giving things praise or mentioning something that makes him happy to endorse in sport? Anytime I ever hear him he's always coming at things with a negative spin. There's a lot of hypocrisy and bollocks in sport and it's absolutely fine to call that out, but, jesus, you have to take some joy in something - otherwise what's the point?

Pretty much hit the nail on the head from what I've heard from him. Must be so tiring.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

His moral code doesn't prevent him supporting an NFL team who have players with questions of domestic abuse against them.

This response to his bizarre criticism of Shane Lowry last year gave me a laugh

https://twitter.com/PepperellEddie/status/1153412400709820416

• Advertisement

I agree with a chunk of what he says, but I can't warm to him. It's fair enough to sacrifice sacred cows, but he seems like such a joyless character.

No, never. Just criticism, speculation and negativity. As far as sports hacks go he wouldn’t be alone on this though, look no further than Paul Kimmage and to a lesser extent Eamonn Dunphy for example. I can’t recall Kimmage ever saying anything good about anything but he is still a very good journalist in my opinion so I don’t think the absence of giving praise or writing fluff pieces about sport is a requirement for good journalism.

But his podcast is more current affairs and for the most part ranting so that won’t leave any room for improvement on the positivity front.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PodcastReview

As soon as I heard Ewan had a podcast out I knew it would annoy a few people, this thread reads perfectly.

People who don't like Ewan or what he says, writing essays trying to refute his arguments and failing.

Don't get me wrong, he is a moron. In an era where the journalism profession had an ounce of integrity he wouldn't have a hope. Yet in little old Ireland he managed to make a career out of criticising two things - Irish Rugby and Dublin GAA. Two teams who are so cosy with the media it takes a lad living in Brazil to give a voice to the many who can see through all the hype and media coffee mornings.

This podcast is hilarious. As someone else said over 2 hours long at times, and featuring a monologue that is surely tongue in cheek? I sure hope so. When Mr. Hawala turned up I had to turn off despite my curiousity as what he could possibly have to say. I haven't listened since but may pop back in if an interesting name appears.

The sidekick needs to be kicked to the curb. He is not suited to podcast presenting and I'll leave it there instead of being rude. Almost certainly a former McGregor fan, I assume he does all the leg work and Ewan just shows up.

Unlike most of the posters here I thought the episode with Floyd Landis was poor. He spent the whole episode talking about Lance Armstrong, despite at the outset saying he didn't want to. I don't we can blame all that on Ewan either.

I would propose Ewans main positive here is letting interviewees talk and not constantly interrupting with questions that are really statements about how much he knows (i.e Gilroy and McDevitt). I didn't know someone could be that left wing? Surely it's all an act given the current climate and he's just following the money. Speaking of which I must go and buy myself a cup of coffee.

Oh and I never noticed anything wrong with the sound, if I ever listen again I'll keep my ears peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No, never. Just criticism, speculation and negativity. As far as sports hacks go he wouldn’t be alone on this though, look no further than Paul Kimmage and to a lesser extent Eamonn Dunphy for example. I can’t recall Kimmage ever saying anything good about anything but he is still a very good journalist in my opinion so I don’t think the absence of giving praise or writing fluff pieces about sport is a requirement for good journalism.

But his podcast is more current affairs and for the most part ranting so that won’t leave any room for improvement on the positivity front.

Kimmage frequently writes about the joy he gets from golf and some of his interviews with the personalities in the game are very positive.

Kimmage frequently writes about the joy he gets from golf and some of his interviews with the personalities in the game are very positive.

no he doesn't and no they are not. g'won, link his faldo caddying moment. he even manages to bring doping into that one.

Oh and I never noticed anything wrong with the sound, if I ever listen again I'll keep my ears peeled.

I realise it is not sound engineering and acoustic related, but have a listen to the latest contribution. The Brazilian commentary segment has a child deliberately chirping for 30 minutes plus and whatever hippy gob****e contributor damn proud to let her do this. It’s excruciating listening to it.

This podcast is not bad, it’s a disaster. The ‘it’s only for the price of a coffee’ stuff only makes sense if when you pay for a cup of coffee you aren’t handed a cup of steaming excrement which this podcast is.

I realise it is not sound engineering and acoustic related, but have a listen to the latest contribution. The Brazilian commentary segment has a child deliberately chirping for 30 minutes plus and whatever hippy gob****e contributor damn proud to let her do this. It’s excruciating listening to it.

This podcast is not bad, it’s a disaster. The ‘it’s only for the price of a coffee’ stuff only makes sense if when you pay for a cup of coffee you aren’t handed a cup of steaming excrement which this podcast is.

that's the only one that I listened to.

the child / children in the background was terrible - comically annoying and poor.

couldn't the guy have gone into the bathroom or something to do the call?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Absolutely, while Kimmage often comes across as negative he never fails to acknowledge the positive where it's warranted. It's also important to note that he's commenting from a lived in experience as a professional athlete.

Contrast him to McKenna who is nothing more than a joyless contrarian troll. It must be tiring being so relentlessly negative.

Aidric wrote: »
    Absolutely, while Kimmage often comes across as negative he never fails to acknowledge the positive where it's warranted.

Give us a few examples there please, seeing as he never fails to acknowledge the positive where it’s warranted this should be very easy.

MacKenna embarrasses himself for the hundredth time on twitter today and yesterday. Slags off Tony Holahon as he steps down and goes on to play the victim. Utterly insufferable.

Had a look at some of his twitter interactions from yesterday. He is a bit of a prat.

Clearly he was looking for a reaction from people, a bit pathetic tbh - and quick to look for sympathy when he got blowback. He also got some basic facts totally wrong to try to bolster his argument, claiming that, for instance, pubs were left open for Paddy's Day. Feels like his true colours were on display yesterday.

• Advertisement

MacKenna embarrasses himself for the hundredth time on twitter today and yesterday. Slags off Tony Holahon as he steps down and goes on to play the victim. Utterly insufferable.

You’ve two extremes, the nauseating narrative that Tony Holohan is our superman saviour and god show spin machine (at this stage I don’t know how you could spell his name wrong or McKenna pronouncing it ‘Hoolahan’ as he’s in our faces every day for months now). And then you have McKenna, being a nasty attention seeking prick. Both benefit very well from both of these scenarios and both are totally idiotic irrational methods of spin/ gaining attention with different agendas. Best ignored.

Had a look at some of his twitter interactions from yesterday. He is a bit of a prat.

Clearly he was looking for a reaction from people, a bit pathetic tbh - and quick to look for sympathy when he got blowback. He also got some basic facts totally wrong to try to bolster his argument, claiming that, for instance, pubs were left open for Paddy's Day. Feels like his true colours were on display yesterday.

I'm all for journalists who don't buy the 'press release' type of reporting but so much of his stuff on Twitter makes it very hard to defend him.

He's outright abusive to people and then doesn't seem to understand when people bite back.
    If someone from FF/FG/HSE did what he did yesterday he would have blown a gasket with outrage.

I'm all for journalists who don't buy the 'press release' type of reporting but so much of his stuff on Twitter makes it very hard to defend him.

He's outright abusive to people and then doesn't seem to understand when people bite back.
    If someone from FF/FG/HSE did what he did yesterday he would have blown a gasket with outrage.

You are the ultimate defender of anyone and anything on Off The Ball radio show, for I don’t know how long until you were repeatedly told to stop telling posters who criticised the show and presenters to “switch off and not listen then”, doesn’t seem like you are much of a fan of McKenna? understandably, but follow him on Twitter and following a fairly useless thread on his podcast. Take a leaf out of your own book? You’ll sleep easier tonight.

You are the ultimate defender of anyone and anything on Off The Ball radio show, for I don’t know how long until you were repeatedly told to stop telling posters who criticised the show and presenters to “switch off and not listen then”, doesn’t seem like you are much of a fan of McKenna? understandably, but follow him on Twitter and following a fairly useless thread on his podcast. Take a leaf out of your own book? You’ll sleep easier tonight.

Oh, I'm sorry, is this your party and I wasn't invited?

My posts here should show I'm able to be objective when analysing who I listen to or pay attention to.

Something you are unfamiliar with obviously.

Is he not allowed to give his opinion on Ewan McKenna on a thread about Ewan McKenna?

You don't appear to have an issue with his opinion of McKenna. It reads to me as if you're just having a go at the poster. Bit uneccessary tbh.

Oh, I'm sorry, is this your party and I wasn't invited?

My posts here should show I'm able to be objective when analysing who I listen to or pay attention to.

Something you are unfamiliar with obviously.

Whoosh...right over your head.

You have had scarcely zero to say disapproving of your idols on Off The Ball, and will jump to their defence, generally with some patronising baiting irrelevant comment If there is any criticism of the show or its presenters, usually for as long as you could saying “switch off then”.

You’ve had nothing positive to say about Ewan McKenna or his show, only criticism.

So until now, only positivity and defence of one show and only criticism of another.

You really need to look up the definition of objectivity.

Is he not allowed to give his opinion on Ewan McKenna on a thread about Ewan McKenna?

You don't appear to have an issue with his opinion of McKenna. It reads to me as if you're just having a go at the poster. Bit uneccessary tbh.

Indeed I am, as far í know. pointing out blatant hypocrisy isn’t against the rules here

Indeed I am, as far í know. pointing out blatant hypocrisy isn’t against the rules here

Attacking the poster and not the post is though.

Attacking the poster and not the post is though.

That’s not attacking a poster, get over yourself. Christ, by the same logic you’ve just attacked me by suggesting I am attacking a poster. What a world we live in.

Have I attacked you too? Are you ok? I’m sorry for attacking you, xoxo.

• Advertisement

That’s not attacking a poster, get over yourself. Christ, by the same logic you’ve just attacked me by suggesting I am attacking a poster. What a world we live in.

Have I attacked you too? Are you ok? I’m sorry for attacking you, xoxo.

I will manage, I think, to be okay.

No, I didn't attack you.

I didn't have a paragraph of largely irrelevant personalised bitterness spring loaded, which had nothing to do with your actual expressed opinions about the subject of discussion.

Advertisement