Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Sports Podcasts (Non Soccer)

• 07-05-2020 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I see the other thread on soccer podcasts so I hope this is ok. What other sports podcasts would you listen to? Mine are:

A Hurler's Life
    This has only started recently and I've been very impressed. I'd have an issue with Brian Carroll on a different podcast that I'll get to later but he's started very well on this. He's very well prepared and has a really good manner about him. Glad to see he has a sponsor already.

Added Time- The Irish Times
    Seems to deal primarily with GAA and rugby which suits me. I can find Sean Moran a bit hard to listen to as his speaking style isn't great but his views are decent on GAA. I also like that they throw in some of the sports that don't get a lot of coverage such as athletics. Usually they give times so you can skip over any bit you wouldn't have any interest in.

Baz and Andrew's House of Rugby
    When they focus on rugby, and particularly when Jerry Flannery is on as well, I find this insightful. They also get decent guests with Drew Mitchell and Jean De Villiers the latest example. However when they try to have "banter" or go off discussing music, film or game of thrones I just skip to the end.

Off the Ball GAA
    Generally speaking I like it. It doesn't tend to have the most insightful analysis (I remember Daithi Regan tipping both teams to win at different points of a preview one night) but it can be worth listening to. Sadly as with other sports they seem to consider themselves social justice warriors so the last three podcasts I can see have all been about drugs where one would have been more than enough.

Game on
    Strictly speaking a radio show but I rarely listen live and tend to pick up the podcasts. And I find myself skipping over it more and more as they no longer put up segments, just the entire show. And they have more technical issues than other podcasts such as no sound at all or a totally different segment than the one it should be. It seems to me like the new format just hasn't worked. O Callaghan really isn't suited to it and they are afraid of taking on Ruby Walsh. One really embarrassing segment when they discussing women's sporting issues stood out. Unless they go back to putting (the correct) segments up I won't be listening unless I'm stuck.

Highlights on Off the Ball
    Generally a favourite of mine as again I can pick and choose which to listen to. The Mt Rushmore's and the Paul Rouse slots have both been enjoyable. I like Friday Night Racing although I'd advise anyone to ignore Johnny Ward's tips at all costs. However he's the closest they have to anyone to add any colour since Colm Parkinson left as none of the others can do it without it sounding forced. Again there is coverage of come of the minority sports as well which I enjoy.

Irish Examiner Sport
    I think that you either like Anthony Daly or you don't. Personally I like his style and find his anecdotes enjoyable. Totally disagreed with his Munster team of the last 20 years but that's beside the point. I haven't listened to any of the interviews with GAA clubs around the world.

The Duncan and Duncan podcast has been a fresh addition as again its insight from a different angle into the game.

Both are very much Munster focused so may not appeal as much outside the province.

Racing Post
    Maybe I'm a traditionalist but I particularly enjoyed the preview and review shows on Friday's and Monday's. Bruce Millington was an excellent host although Maddie Plye is growing into it. A nice mix of insight, opinions, tips and messing. Slightly skewed towards UK racing but that's understandable considering their market. Racing Riot was a new addition and at times hard to understand if it was a compliment or a competitor on the lead up to Cheltenham. I listen to it when I can but it's not a priority. Obviously with racing activity gone these haven't broadcast for a while.

I'd also listen to the racing post GAA podcast. I think David Jennings is a decent chair but I can't recall how successful or not their tips were. Anecdotally I remember Paddy O Rourke putting some good ideas out that came through but I'm not sure what the overall percentages were.

RTE GAA
    I wouldn't have listened to this until recently as I have no time for the likes of Michael (Wexford should have taken a man off when John McGrath was sent off) Duignan or Tom (state the obvious) Dempsey but there has been a subtle revamp. The team of the sunday game era was a good idea and keeps discussion moving. One criticism though is Rory O Neill. I can't understand what credentials he has to be there in the first place and he takes over conversation with stories that could be told in 20 seconds but are drawn out over much longer as he constantly swallows his saliva (a pet hate of mine) before coming to an underwhelming punch line. Aside from this though the standard of guests have been very high, even if the public somehow left JJ Delaney off the team.

RTE Rugby
    Again a good standard of guest, Felipe Contepomi last week. And I'm going out on a limb and saying that Daire O Brien is the best presenter of any of the podcasts I list. The likes of Stephen Ferris and Eddie O Sullivan add an interesting contrast which similar to the GAA version is a sign that RTE is moving away from the bland.

The Final Furlong
    Previously my favourite podcast but has dipped this year. Kevin Blake leaving was a huge loss and they haven't managed to replace him yet. Actually I think it suffers from the analysts changing every week. Emmett Kennedy is good when he sticks to racing but he's become a bit of a political correspondent lately which is fine if you stick to facts but on a number of occasions he's been totally incorrect. His constant defence of Cheltenham going ahead is a bit tiresome too. I would hope it will improve once racing resumes but it hasn't been a good 2020 so far for it.

The GAA Hour
    Again Parkinson is probably a like him or not guy and I do. I feel I get a lot of insight into football and the changes that are taking place in it from him and his guests (particularly Cian Ward although he's not on as much this year). I feel Newstalk lack this as their topics often focus on issues off the pitch. The hurling show can be a bit Leinster focused (Brian Carroll struggles to hide this at times). However he and the other guests are knowledgeable with the exception of Damien Hayes who is clearly miles out of his depth. Came on raving about how there should be relegation from the Division 1 of the league last year despite the restructure. He hadn't a clue where that team would go however once he was asked. I've definitely noticed a different attitude from Parkinson when asking him anything this year as he seems to have lost confidence in Hayes giving anything sensible in response. I'd be hoping he makes way for more of Carroll, Cheddar, Delaney or God forbid a Munster rep.

Second Captains
    I'm not a world service member as while previously this was my favourite podcast, I felt the standard dropped in recent years. I don't listen to the soccer one and yet there's still soccer regularly finding its way onto the general one. Since the restriction's there hasn't been any general sports one's which is understandable. I don't see why Ken Early features on the general one as he seems to take pride that he hasn't watched anything that they cover. I think they've fallen behind on GAA as they still turn to Duignan for some reason but I like the rugby and other sports coverage.

The Throw In
    Another that hasn't broadcast since the activity ceased but a decent product. O Callaghan and Verney are strong and knowledgeable hosts and the hurling contributors in particular are strong. Tomas O Se is ok, I'm not a fan of Joe Brolly so maybe there is room for improvement on the football side but overall I enjoy it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Aside from soccer, Gaelic football is the main sport I watch.

The GAA Hour is excellent when the season is in full flight. Wooly and Cian Ward are really in depth with the tactical side of Gaelic football which I find fascinating. Don't have much interest in hurling but tune in for podcasts towards the end of the championship. Cheddar is a good addition on this.

The Mayo News Football podcast is another one I always listen too, though it's probably of little interest to outsiders. There is a good dynamic between the various hosts with Billy Joe Padden providing more of the analysis.

Off the Ball are good for Gaelic football coverage too. Pretty much all the hosts have a good knowledge of the game.

I'm a second captains member but their GAA coverage is hit and miss IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

I listen to a NBA podcast called No Dunks, would recomend it, well researched, topical and light hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Aside from soccer, Gaelic football is the main sport I watch.

The GAA Hour is excellent when the season is in full flight. Wooly and Cian Ward are really in depth with the tactical side of Gaelic football which I find fascinating. Don't have much interest in hurling but tune in for podcasts towards the end of the championship. Cheddar is a good addition on this.

The Mayo News Football podcast is another one I always listen too, though it's probably of little interest to outsiders. There is a good dynamic between the various hosts with Billy Joe Padden providing more of the analysis.

Off the Ball are good for Gaelic football coverage too. Pretty much all the hosts have a good knowledge of the game.

I'm a second captains member but their GAA coverage is hit and miss IMO.

Thats a terrific podcast. I would disagree that its of little interest to outsiders too. Most GAA fans would enjoy that podcast.

Advertisement