Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark side of the ring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It just kind of put everything in one place and the detective came across shady as ****, and vince doesn't come out smelling of roses but that's because snuka mentioned him being at a meeting at the time which considering there is no record of what was said in that meeting raises more questions than answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yeah this episode was the most disappointing so far, either there was nothing new unearthed or they were limited in what could be claimed without ramifications.

Doesn't give me confidence in the upcoming Owen Hart episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can see this whole WWE Covid saga (PC shows, releases, Vince's ego etc.) been a future episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

There was noting new in the Snuka episode if you are a wrestling fan but if you are a casual viewer watching this they may find it quiet shocking.

Hogan is the first thing I remember about wrestling, while Snuka was always a wrestler I knew of and liked. The only thing I'll give this episode is they got across just how big a star Snuka was for a time. I actually had no idea how popular he was in spite of the WWE PR machine always bigging him up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Can see this whole WWE Covid saga (PC shows, releases, Vince's ego etc.) been a future episode

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah just watched it. Pretty lacklustre episode unfortunately. Seemed like they didn't have much to really fill the episode and there was certainly no sense of closure or relevation to the whole thing. Which is the sad reality of the whole thing but doesn't make for a great episode as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Love to see an in depth look at the actual relationship between Andy Kaufmann and Jerry Lawler from their interactions back in the 80s. I know it was a work, but when they used him for the movie with Jim Carrey as Kaufmann, its apparent that Carrey took the kayfabe a little too far with Lawler and seemingly played the gimmick of Kaufmann even more seriously than Kaufmann himself.

Apparently it caused serious tensions with Lawler so would love to see this explored

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

You see a good chunk of that in the Jim Carrey documentary, Jim & Andy on Netflix.
    Decent doc but if you're a Carrey fan it might ruin him a bit for you he comes off as such a pretentious asshat.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Dino Bravo episode was really interesting and some great talking heads in the Mountie and Jimmy Hart.

• Advertisement

Vice Eyes More ‘Dark Side Of The Ring’ & Plans To Expand Franchise Into New Worlds
    Dark Side of the Ring has become one of Vice TV’s biggest ever series. The youth-skewing cable network is now looking to double-down on the wrestling docuseries as well as expand the franchise into new areas.

Morgan Hertzan, EVP & General Manager, Vice TV told Deadline that the show has become a “mega-hit” for the network.

“We are eagerly looking forward to explore more ways to do more episodes of Dark Side of the Ring and Dark Side of other strands,” he said. “We also are looking at all of our audience data and what people love about that show is, and are using it to inform other shows that we’re greenlighting. The audience is telling us they love this kind of storytelling so we want to keep delivering on that over and over again.”

https://deadline.com/2020/04/vice-dark-side-of-the-ring-expand-franchise-1202912188/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

what other episodes could they film?

vince steroid trial?
    probably an episode with trumps time in wwf

???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Brian Pillman? Dynamite Kid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

montyrebel wrote: »

vince steroid trial?

???

What about this woman?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juana_Barraza

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

montyrebel wrote: »

vince steroid trial?

???

Pretty much any wrestler who has died of an OD or drugs related death. Davey Boy, Rick Rude, Mr Perfect, Test et al.

Owen Hart

The Vince Russo/Hulk Hogan thing with Jeff Jarrett.

Jake the Snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Definately the Vince steroid trial.

The need to also take an indepth look at why a certain generation of wrestlers are no longer around anymore, alot of guys dropping dead in their late 30s/early 40s due to years of (alleged) steroid abuse.

Chyna also, the life and times. Even detailing her relationship with HHH

Richard Belzer suing Hogan for $5m would be an interesting one to do.

I can't believe I'm going to defend hogan on this but if you watch the footage hogan doesn't tighten the hold that much. It was the fact he dropped like a sack of spuds onto a studio floor that did the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The Nal wrote: »
    Pretty much any wrestler who has died of an OD or drugs related death. Davey Boy, Rick Rude, Mr Perfect, Test et al.

Owen Hart

The Vince Russo/Hulk Hogan thing with Jeff Jarrett.

Jake the Snake.

The last episode of this current series is about Owen

Discussed this week as part of the David Schultz episode.

This weeks episode was a really interesting one.

Schultz is a really interesting guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoying the series so far and its something positive in these challenging times

Pity the season will be over in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I'm enjoying this series, but I'm struggling to see what's so "dark" about the Brawl For All and David Schultz.

In regards to other stories they can document. They can cover steroids and sex abuse scandals involving Terry Garvin, Pat Patterson, and Mel Phillips. The steroids stuff would have to be at least a two-parter and they should include footage of Vince trying to intimidate the interviewers. Here's one such example:

I think there's another one where he gets in Bob Costas' face and comes across as such a deranged weirdo, but the WWE blocked it from YouTube:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/05/10/bob-costas-vince-mcmahon-pro-wrestling-xfl

Rob Feinstein getting caught in a child predator sting operation is another story they could cover:

https://www.facebook.com/AvoidRFVideo/videos/vb.799819180036558/1038217486196725/?type=2&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Would like to see an episode on the 1992 Ringboy Sex Scandal. Really enjoying the last 2 seasons

The show is starting to lose a bit its shine me, it's main strength now being that it can both sides in front of one camera so to speak.

And what an arsehole John Stossel is "the pain went away eventually.....once I got paid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭briany

And what an arsehole John Stossel is "the pain went away eventually.....once I got paid."

I even wanted to slap him in the head by the end of the programme.

Incidentally, a good simple way to get heat would be for a weaselly heel to claim assault when attacked outside of a match. And he would be technically correct as well. It's been done before, but not lately on a big stage.

briany wrote: »
    I even wanted to slap him in the head by the end of the programme.

Incidentally, a good simple way to get heat would be for a weaselly heel to claim assault when attacked outside of a match. And he would be technically correct as well. It's been done before, but not lately on a big stage.
    It actually crossed my mind when he said that because the line was so over the top. I wonder if he's trying to work himself into another pay day assuming any promotion would be stupid enough to indulge.

This weeks episode will be on Herb Abrams owner of The UWF (The TNA of it's day) not someone I know a huge amount about other than he died in police custody

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

This weeks episode will be on Herb Abrams owner of The UWF (The TNA of it's day) not someone I know a huge amount about other than he died in police custody

Know the name and that’s it looking forward to learning about the story

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Would be an interesting episode but it wouldnt end with a decent answer I think.

I know what it feels like to take a front chancery / guillotine and it Fu*ing sucks. You feeling like tapping the second it's fully on. But to sink that in you have to wrench back and up (standing on your tippy toes helps)

So on one hand there's no way Hogan would sink it in on live TV. Ahead of the biggest match that's gonna make him a megastar.

Then, and I just paused typing and watched it again and you see Hogan "wrench up" - I honestly have no idea what happened.

Did Hogan set it in?
    Was Belzer just selling along and hit his head THEN sued?
    Was Belzer, dare I say it, a bitch and passed out?

Hard to say.

• Advertisement

This will be an amazing episode because the story of his last days is just so pro wrestling it's amazing.

He did die in police custody but it was nothing linked to the police. He died of a heart attack.

Advertisement