Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annual Taxsaver Bus Rail leap card Coronavirus Covid 19 refund for not used ticket

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Yes, but we purchased an annual ticket, not a 10 month ticket. Pretty sure if anyone in legal profession was arsed digging deep into this they'd have to refund for those 2 months.

The refund for the first 10 months is based on the monthly ticket value, not a 12th of the total. The last two are considered at zero.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Correct. It's a bit like a contract break clause I guess. It's what you signed up for, so talk of legal threats is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

L1011 wrote: »
    The refund for the first 10 months is based on the monthly ticket value, not a 12th of the total. The last two are considered at zero.

So I can't even claim credit for those 2 months to use later?

No, any extension period would seem to include them.

You've bought them so should get the use of them. But they're free, so there's nothing to refund

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

cdeb wrote: »
    No, any extension period would seem to include them.

You've bought them so should get the use of them. But they're free, so there's nothing to refund

How do I get to arrange my 1.5 months for a later date though? I won't be working in town again for several months so have no need for public transport right now.

• Advertisement

Details are tbc per the Taxsaver website.

We don't know yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Hi just wondering what I should do here.

April was the last month that I contributed anything to my Taxsaver leap car and May/June were my zero payment months thus completing the year.

HR are saying the refund for April goes back to them and not myself - is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

PCros wrote: »
    Hi just wondering what I should do here.

April was the last month that I contributed anything to my Taxsaver leap car and May/June were my zero payment months thus completing the year.

HR are saying the refund for April goes back to them and not myself - is that correct?

It sounds like you didn’t pay the full amount for the ticket.

In our workplace the payment is spread over 12 months. If you paid the full annual cost for the ticket, then the refund, if any, should be passed to you. If you cancelled the ticket at 10 months and have not fully paid for the ticket then the refund would go to your employer, my understanding is that they could also look for any outstanding amount, given that they pay for it in full at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Thanks for the reply.

My ticket is paid for over 10 months not 12.

There's no particular reason for HR to keep the refund.

Best thing to do is work out how much you've paid from your payslips. You know the overall price of the ticket - so you can compare what you have paid to what you should have paid. If you've paid the full price, then you are owed a refund.

HR should be able to reconcile the invoice total, minus the refund, to what's on your payslips.

• Advertisement

Worth noting too that Iarnród Éireann do appear to be accepting back-dated refund requests going back to 1st April. This would cancel your ticket and presumably waive any extension period once all this is over (because you can't get a refund and an extension)

Not sure if Luas/Dublin Bus are doing the same though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Do most people get their salary deducted for 10 months and then nothing the other two or is the cost spread out over 12 months? Mine is spread out over the 12 and might explain why my employer has said I'll be getting two months cash back at the end of this month. My ticket only started in February and I made 4 monthly payments but stopped using the ticket in mid March like most people so they could be refunding me the 2 months that they charged me but hadn't paid Taxsaver yet. is that a possibility?

You can agree repayment terms with HR.

Taxsaver recommend you do 10 monthly deductions because it ties in to their costing. Most people split it over 12 months because that's longer (and it's also a reminder for HR/Finance as to when the ticket is about to expire)

Or you can deduct it all in one go if you want - some people are happier taking one hit out of their salary and then being back to normal for the other 11 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

My annual pass is due to expire the end of June. Does anyone know if the validity of the tickets should just roll over beyond the end of the month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Do - don't mean to come across as one of those "You're wrong!" internet types, but if you've gotten a refund for past months (which I don't think you have unfortunately), then that means something solid has happened after a couple of months of complete stasis really.

Just to update on this, I got my payslip for June and I have been refunded €260 as well as not having the -€162.50 taken out any more (these are the pre-tax amounts).

Yeah, it does look like Iarnród Éireann and Dublin Bus are both allowing Taxsaver tickets to be cancelled retrospectively with effect from 1st April if you haven't used it in that time. Haven't heard if Luas are doing the same thing. I presume you don't get any extension period in that event, but if you're going to be working from home for a while, then the extension period probably isn't worth it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Is there any word from the NTA on this yet? Nearly 2 months since they made an announcement and said they were working on designing how things would work. I may have missed it but I've seen nothing from them since.

The Taxsaver website still has the same update from two months ago anyway.

I haven't seen any update since. I asked about extending a ticket a couple of weeks ago and there was no details as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Is there any word from the NTA on this yet? Nearly 2 months since they made an announcement and said they were working on designing how things would work. I may have missed it but I've seen nothing from them since.

Everyone involved are totally shower, from NTA to Department Transport and Taxsaver. No updates in 2 months and some cases no information at all. Total disgrace.

Department Transport did not respond to my mail 10 weeks ago on the matter. NTA gave me reply 4 weeks which was just the press release, send follow email last week, so will see if i get reply on that. No reply from Tax Saver.

I am civil servant and spoke to Peoplepoint on issue, told me it is not under their remit and I should go to HR, went to HR, send me back to Peoplepoint, complete lack of ownership on the matter from everybody.

Spoke to my provider who is a private operator and just said they are working on it, that was 4 weeks ago tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If you've used the ticket in the past 2 weeks etc, I'm assuming they can still cancel it back to 1st April and deduct any usage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

MattS1 wrote: »
    If you've used the ticket in the past 2 weeks etc, I'm assuming they can still cancel it back to 1st April and deduct any usage?

I suspect they will certainly try exclude any month in which you use it. Hard to say as no details are available.

I have a yearly ticket, I haven’t used it since mid March, so I would expect a refund for April, May and June so far. If I do go into the city center in July or August, I will not bring / use my yearly ticket to ensure I don’t fall victim to that.

It's ridiculous that two months later there continues to be radio silence form the NTA on this. I haven't used my ticket since mid March but my company's HR said if I cancel then it is only going forward and there is no arrangement agreed yet on what happens with tickets unused since April as there is no direction from the NTA. Very shoddy from the NTA to have this still outstanding months later.

While I agree the silence is annoying (though it is a very tricky time for public transport it has to be said), both Iarnród Éireann and Dublin Bus are allowing ticket cancellations to be backdated to 1st April.

They haven't exactly been spreading the word, but if you haven't used your ticket since March, you should be able to backdate the cancellation to 1st April

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

My ticket expires today but HR keep saying they've been told nothing official. All I'll get back is 1 month for April as last 2 months are free but if I hold off until I'm back in the office which could be next year then will the extension hold off till then as I'd get 3 months for the price of 1 + the tax benefit.

They should have something more concrete at this stage or at least some sort of update

While I agree the silence is annoying (though it is a very tricky time for public transport it has to be said), both Iarnród Éireann and Dublin Bus are allowing ticket cancellations to be backdated to 1st April.

They haven't exactly been spreading the word, but if you haven't used your ticket since March, you should be able to backdate the cancellation to 1st April

How do you go about that? My ticket is a Cork City Bus & Rail combo. My HR saying they've heard nothing about any arrangements.

There's a standard credit application form you submit when you want to cancel a ticket and it asks you for the date of cancellation. It says you can't backdate the cancellation - but put in 1st April anyway, and ask the question when sending it in.

I presume the Cork rail part is still part of IÉ. Private bus operators may work differently, though again, I presume if it's a joint ticket with the rail, it's going to be part of the same group.

There's a standard credit application form you submit when you want to cancel a ticket and it asks you for the date of cancellation. It says you can't backdate the cancellation - but put in 1st April anyway, and ask the question when sending it in.

I presume the Cork rail part is still part of IÉ. Private bus operators may work differently, though again, I presume if it's a joint ticket with the rail, it's going to be part of the same group.

My company uses travelhub online portal. No option to backdate on that. I sent a mail to the NTA and they just quoted back to me word for word the press release from the start of May.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

namloc1980 wrote: »
    My company uses travelhub online portal. No option to backdate on that. I sent a mail to the NTA and they just quoted back to me word for word the press release from the start of May.

I'm pissed at myself, have not used public transport since late March. Up until now I didn't even know you could cancel an annual ticket part way through its term.

When I looked at travel hub a few mknths back all it said was people would get months added on their expiry date, nothing about cancelling.

Won't be working 5 days a week again in the office so will cancel the annual ticket and switch to the pay as you go option via a normal leap card.

Pity I've lost €130pm for April, May, June and July.

Am angry I didn't cop on to this earlier, nor did travelhub or my HR ever explain the options under COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 irsy

I have annual TaxSaver Dublin Bus and Rail ticket (€1800). The ticket has started on 1st of April 2020. So, I didn't use it a single time. I got an announcement today our offices will remain closed till January 2021. So, I unlikely will use the ticket anyway. If I cancel that ticket now is there any chance to get a refund for 4 unused months? My HR has no information about that.

• Advertisement

It seems they are reimbursing with effect from 1st April alright, given the circumstances.

I'm not sure how refund works on a ticket that's never been used - do they still take the two months off?

But HR should be able to apply for a credit with effect from 1st April based on the standard credit application.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement