Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lol. Sounds about as trustworthy as any other sponsor in F1. I don’t expect sponsors to be good guys. Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Forgot about him. Modern day would be good!
    Damon Hill started off motorbike racing, although he never got near the top.

Lol. Sounds about as trustworthy as any other sponsor in F1. I don’t expect sponsors to be good guys. Do you?

Jesus.
    I don't expect much but for charity I generally hope it's a decent crowd rather than a crowd who sue other people for fighting the same cause that is apparently their raison d'e.

Jesus.
    I don't expect much but for charity I generally hope it's a decent crowd rather than a crowd who sue other people for fighting the same cause that is apparently their raison d'e.

At the sharp end of anything, the groups in greatest competition are the ones fighting for the same resources. We, the public, might see all cancer charities pulling in the same direction. By the time they're big enough to advertise on an f1 car, they're not a normal charity. But if they get some good work done then fair play for that.

But anyway, you probably wouldn't be upset if you heard about an insurance company or phone company behaving dishonourably. They're just companies. Expecting them to be good guys is unreasonable in a free market. Good and bad doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye world champion in both if I am not mistaken! Some man!

Those were different times...when you see some of these cars up close and personal (I've seen the Alfetta 159 Fangio drove in 1951), well, you realize these guys routinely carried stainless steel apparatus in their underwear. No wonder the airports had no metal detectors :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ferrari launch on the 11th of February 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Ferrari launch on the 11th of February 2020.

Jeez this season is only over short of two weeks and Ferrari have annoced the launch date for there car already. That was quick. I wonder who will be next. I am going to say Mercedes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Inviere

From autobild (courtesy of Reddit)...the secret plan around Hamilton & Alonso (obviously take with copious amounts of salt)
    • Liberty Media is trying hard to get Alonso back into F1 by pitching him to top teams. Marko confirmed that Red Bull for instance was approached in the summer, but he was a no-go because Honda didnt want him
    • The current plan is to get Hamilton to Ferrari and Alonso to Mercedes. They think this scenario would be box office comparable to Ali vs. Frazier :stoned:
    • While Ferrari is interested in Hamilton he would only consider it (accoding to sources in Maranello) if Wolff joins as well (and Wolff said he wont), in order to be politically on the same boat as Leclerc with Todt (I assume they mean his manager)
    • Mercedes will only continue to stay in F1 with a works team if Wolff can fund the whole operation over sponsoring (Wolff has hired a marketing expert for this now), otherwise they will only stay as a engine supplier
    • Wolff to Liberty is not happening because for that he would have to be 3 years out of F1, those are Liberty's conditions. His Mercedes contract ends 2020 however.
    • Hamilton is about everything infromed and he also knows that Mercedes could live with it if he leaves, especially as he earns 50 m/year, Alonso or Verstappen would probably accept to race for only a third of this
    • "Marko is aware of the situation around Alonso, Hamilton and Verstappen: `We have to offer Max a car for 2020 with which he can win the title. Otherwise he is gone. It will be decisive weeks. Right now there is a lot going on behind the stage"

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/ea0rjv/secret_plan_around_hamilton_and_alonso/

Afaik, Autobild has the same level of reliability of the Mirror...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Inviere

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Afaik, Autobild has the same level of reliability of the Mirror...

Yeah I figured as much, but it's almost so stupid it could be an FIA plan :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,936 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I cant see Alonso getting into any team after his year out.

Only possible way I could have seen Alonso return would have been if Campos were entering in 2021 (thats been debunked anyway) and Santander jumped on board as sponsor to try and convince Alonso (€€€€€€) to join them.

So yeah not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye sure if they want to turn F1 into an entertainment circus and not a sport anymore maybe that would work. I think Alonso had his chance in F1 as I have said before and I was his biggestt fan when he was at Renault but after he went to Mclaren and done what he done there then Ferrari I think its very slim he will ever be in F1 again. He made his bed now he has to sleep in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

That might be the most made up thing I've ever read. It's more like fan fiction than a news story

The only believable part would be Verstappen going to Merc to replace Lewis when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

The first races of 2020 will shape 2021.
    Vettel fails to impress, then he is gone and will make space for Hamilton and Wolf.
    Wolff might be on gardening leave then already, as I cannot see him having an exit clause to join a competitor that soon.
    Cannot see Alonso back, after two years out. Maybe Renault is interested as a PR for lacking performance. Although in Mercedes Wolf and Lauda were the biggest opponent of Alonso, so if he leaves things might change.
    If RedBull is competitive, cannot see Max go that easily to Mercedes, but in general he will be one of the main contenders in the driver market.
    If Hamilton leaves, what options are left for Mercedes? Vettel, Verstappen, Sainz, Norris, Russell. The last three under heavy scrutiny for performance in 2020. Verstappen depends on RedBull and Vettel having being now ousted by two team mates, seems not as a good contender. And Bottas is imo not strong enough to be title contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Harika wrote: »
    Sainz, Norris, Russell. The last three under heavy scrutiny for performance in 2020

Are they? Sainz was best of the rest and got nearly twice the points Alonso did, and the other 2 were in their first year in F1 with Russell in a car where it's hard to judge his performance only to see he was consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

Are they? Sainz was best of the rest and got nearly twice the points Alonso did, and the other 2 were in their first year in F1 with Russell in a car where it's hard to judge his performance only to see he was consistent

Yes to decide if they get a Mercedes drive, for their 2021 cockpit I have no doubt at all that they are safe and will be on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Harika wrote: »
    Yes to decide if they get a Mercedes drive, for their 2021 cockpit I have no doubt at all that they are safe and will be on the grid.

Ah okay scrutiny in terms of a performance good enough to get a Merc seat is fair enough, scrutiny overall would be a bit harsh since all 3 probably met expectations at least and none were a disappointment like we’ll say Gasly in the Red Bull, but not a Leclerc at Ferrari level success

If Lewis does leave for Ferrari i can see Bottas being kept as the ‘safe’ number 1 driver with Russell in seat 2 and he’ll be backed to be number 1 if he’s good enough, if Lewis stays then it could still be Russell in 2021 ready to take over if and when Hamilton starts to fade off

Dan Ticktum has joined Williams as development driver for 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

AlphaTauri launch on the 14th of February in Salzburg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Nico Rosberg has joined German Dragon's Den for 2020

Zak Brown (McLaren F1 CEO) bid for and won a tour of the Red Bull Factory at a charity event.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Zak Brown (McLaren F1 CEO) bid for and won a tour of the Red Bull Factory at a charity event.

That a pretty funny.

pjohnson wrote: »

That's fecking genius, especially if he sends their lead of chassis development.

If he ends up selling the tour for another charity, it's pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

skipper_G wrote: »
    5 year contract extension for Leclerc

Excellent season for him. At the start it was considered a success if he could hang with Vettel and stay competitive with him in the championship. Massive season for him, beat Sen and cost about 8% of seb's wages. $3.5m vs $45m. That's a big embarrassment for Seb. Considering the cost of buying Seb out of his Contract, I suspect they never really had a choice to get rid of him for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

LeClerc and Hamilton in 2021 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Early decisive move by Ferrari to confirm their future is Leclerc.

If they can sort out their race strategy and recruit a few from Mercedes etc that would be the icing on the cake.

Ferrari don't pay their drivers bill - Philip Morris look after that btw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Delighted for LeClerc. He has shown himself to be a great performer for Ferrari when out on the F1 track.

Let's hope now that his next 5 years at Ferrari will be a great success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

LeClerc and Hamilton in 2021 then?

Am I the only one that read this contract as a sign of Hamilton not being on the Ferrari radar anymore?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement