Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

13 Minutes to the moon

• 12-06-2019 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭

Came across this last week and downloaded the first 5 episodes still a few more to come. About the moon landings and all the work, preparation and people that went in to making the moon landings happen. Its a BBC podcast and really well put together with the host doing face to face interviews and soundbites from other recordings over time.
    The BBC World Service has launched a special podcast series to mark the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing. 13 Minutes to the Moon details the final phase of the descent to the lunar surface - and the months and years that led up to those extraordinary moments.

Presenter Kevin Fong recalls meeting the unique cast of characters that contributed to the podcasts, including some of the last surviving Apollo astronauts.

In the making of 13 Minutes to the Moon, we spent the best part of four weeks travelling around the United States looking for the people who, one day in 1969, had somehow got a man safely to the surface of another world.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

They've been plugging this a fair bit. Will try to get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Suckler

neris wrote: »
    Came across this last week and downloaded the first 5 episodes still a few more to come. About the moon landings and all the work, preparation and people that went in to making the moon landings happen. Its a BBC podcast and really well put together with the host doing face to face interviews and soundbites from other recordings over time.

Really enjoying this one. Very well presented and the interviews are fantastic. Very professionally produced; I don't find segments too short/long and whilst detailed they'd don't bore you with science etc.

It's fascinating to hear about the responsibilities given to 21-30 year old graduates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Four episodes in. It's excellent, quite sobering at times too.

Finished it during the week. Top work from the BBC. Felt like I learned something new about the mission and those involved.

Also, BBC World Service did a space themed podcast on music. Chris Hadfield spoke about his experience with Space Oddity, of course. Bowie wrote that when he was 19?!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07hc88v

• Advertisement

Season 2 from the BBC started last Weds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Yeah this is being pushed a lot in the charts that I look at. But I honestly don't believe they had the technology to go to the moon in 1969, so I feel it would be wasted on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Suckler

. But I honestly don't believe they had the technology ..

Well that's that then. F0ck the facts.

Yeah this is being pushed a lot in the charts that I look at. But I honestly don't believe they had the technology to go to the moon in 1969, so I feel it would be wasted on me.

You'd prefer to bask in your own confirmation bias?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

• Advertisement

giphy.webp

Finally getting started on season 2.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Finally getting started on season 2.

Just a heads up, due to Covid-19 the final episode is delayed as it wasn't completed. There's no indication when the episode will be released so I've held off on starting season 2 until it gets released.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Just a heads up, due to Covid-19 the final episode is delayed as it wasn't completed. There's no indication when the episode will be released so I've held off on starting season 2 until it gets released.

Is it episode 7? There's something in the feed about a delay.

Is it episode 7? There's something in the feed about a delay.

Yeah episode 7 is the final episode, no release date as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I've also been ploughing through season 1 of this over the last few days. Absolutely loving it. Superb production and the theme tune by Hans Zimmer is magnificent.

Kingp35 wrote: »

Final episode of Season 2 was released today.

Four episodes in and I think it's up to the previous standard - delivery, storytelling, interviews and the historical audio.

Didn't realise yer man Kevin Fong is an anaesthetist. I thought the two bonus episodes really bookend-ed the season, hearing from Jim Lovell and John Aaron. Charles Berry was mentioned in an earlier episode and sadly passed away in March at the grand age of 96. https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Charles-Berry-an-early-NASA-physician-dies-at-96-15107966.php

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm a few episodes into this and so far so good.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/moonrise/id1469151663

Well bar The Tale of the Blue Light which I thought didn't go anywhere but it's short enough to be an extended teaser.

• Advertisement
Advertisement