Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Blindboy Podcast

• 28-06-2018 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭onrail

Don't think there's a discussion thread specific to the Blindboy Podcast on here? It definitely warrants something.

I was never really a fan of Blindboy in the past - mostly because, from a FF/FG centre-right conservative viewpoint I just judged him at face value - a stoner leftie with a gimmick.

But frankly, this podcast is wonderful. The content is varied and genuinely interesting. He discusses a wide variety of topics in a measured, intelligent and reflective way. The bizarre is intertwined with thoughtful discussion.

This week's 'Irish Salad' discussion for example. Bang on the money.

Ye cuuuuuu'uuuuuuuuu**s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I listened to a few weeks ago, then he had one episode on art that I found unbelievably boring. Then 2 on disco and something else after that that wasn't good. I really enjoyed it up to that. He kept mentioning how he was getting amazing feedback about the shows I hated, so I figured it'd be more of that so I unsubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭briany

onrail wrote: »

This week's 'Irish Salad' discussion for example. Bang on the money.

I've been 'treated' to one before. Cold cuts of ham, chicken and corn beef, along with cheese, cut boiled eggs and tayto. It's not that any of these on their own can't be nice, but basically what you have here is a platter of ingredients for different sandwiches, not stuff that should be eaten together. Just in terms of texture, having to eat boiled egg alongside a slimy cold cut of ham is blech to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭onrail

Don't know if it was bull**** or not, but that story about the alarm clock is one of the best I've heard in ages - had me howling with laughter on the way to work!

Should have kept it simple and left it there though; he completely lost me with the version he spewed to Channel 4. Far too 'out-there'

I resubscribed a couple of weeks ago, I love the rambling podcasts. But he said he wants to go back to the "disco" type ones where he has one subject! The rambling ones are 10 times better imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

There was a good discussion around Blindboy in general on AH. The podcast came up regularly in the discussion as its BB's current and most 'visible' work.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057808360

I really enjoyed the first 10 or so pods that he did, but found his requests for patronage (albeit as humble and inobtrusive as he could make them) a bit annoying.

Must download a few more of the recent ones and see how the pod is shaping up.

If you compare the evolution of them there is a big change from the first to when i stopped listening - id imagine it has kept evolving?

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    There was a good discussion around Blindboy in general on AH. The podcast came up regularly in the discussion as its BB's current and most 'visible' work.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057808360

I really enjoyed the first 10 or so pods that he did, but found his requests for patronage (albeit as humble and inobtrusive as he could make them) a bit annoying.

Must download a few more of the recent ones and see how the pod is shaping up.

If you compare the evolution of them there is a big change from the first to when i stopped listening - id imagine it has kept evolving?

The last one was good. Give that a listen and see what you think. Forget about the LGBTlive one, I deleted that about 40 minutes in nothing new or entertaining for me.
    I enjoy his ramblings, the bit that annoys me is when he starts going on about how he's a "creative" person and he needs to do things to keep him in flow for his creative work because he's an artist. That's one bit that makes me want to unsubscribe. And the poxy unconscious mind. I think he mentions that at least once an episode. All that comes across as really pretentious imho. That's the reason I don't like his more focused podcasts, he's trying to teach you some shíte he comes across as a bit pretentious arse to me. His art one and his disco ones are examples. The problem is, he seems to get good feedback from them so he'll go back to that format, so what do I know! His ramblings and unfocused episodes are great though.

He mentioned he listens to Bill Burr, I definitely noticed a few similarities between the 2. " yee cúnts" is one, bill regularly says stuff like that about his listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Cienciano wrote: »
    The last one was good. Give that a listen and see what you think. Forget about the LGBTlive one, I deleted that about 40 minutes in nothing new or entertaining for me.
    I enjoy his ramblings, the bit that annoys me is when he starts going on about how he's a "creative" person and he needs to do things to keep him in flow for his creative work because he's an artist. That's one bit that makes me want to unsubscribe. And the poxy unconscious mind. I think he mentions that at least once an episode. All that comes across as really pretentious imho. That's the reason I don't like his more focused podcasts, he's trying to teach you some shíte he comes across as a bit pretentious arse to me. His art one and his disco ones are examples. The problem is, he seems to get good feedback from them so he'll go back to that format, so what do I know! His ramblings and unfocused episodes are great though.

He mentioned he listens to Bill Burr, I definitely noticed a few similarities between the 2. " yee cúnts" is one, bill regularly says stuff like that about his listeners.

But he is creative? he has made a living out of being creative! I don't get what your talking about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Fox Hound wrote: »
    But he is creative? he has made a living out of being creative! I don't get what your talking about here?

Creativity speaks for itself. I do concur he can intellectualise about it a bit too much (and go on about it).

Just be creative. Dont talk about how creative you are being.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Pter wrote: »
    Creativity speaks for itself. I do concur he can intellectualise about it a bit too much (and go on about it).

Just be creative. Dont talk about how creative you are being.

I haven't listened to all his podcasts, but in the podcasts that I have listened to, he merely talks about how he stimulates his creativity and he explains about what helps him to fine tune it, he also talks about how sometimes he struggles, so it could be good food for thought for creative people listening,,,,either way I don't find him being pretentious at all! Probably just very self assured!

Wasn't into that episode either. I mean, the whole thing about "creative" people and artists not being able to earn a living is a load of shíte. BB states David Kitt always does his own thing, doesn't compromise and plays the music that he thinks feels right. That's fine, but not enough people like that music for David Kitt to earn a living in Dublin. It's always been the case.

And others have to live at home with their parents because they can't afford rent because they can't sell their music/stand up/podcast/youtube channel/creating comics is simply they aren't popular enough so tough shíte. You don't get handed a living because you think you're "creative". Everyone on the planet has to compromise where they want to live except about .01% of the population.
    10 years ago that person with the youtube channel wouldn't have had the option of even having a youtube channel. It's a tough market to break, it always has and always will be. As for living in Dublin, live fúcking outside Dublin. How many people work a "normal" (non creative) job and commute? The plus side is you can do most of your work at home and just commute when you need to meet people or use studios in Dublin etc?

Rant over, rest of the pod was decent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

Anyone else getting flashbacks to this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C_HReR_McQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

That most recent Blindboy podcast was fairly poor. Talking about gin distilleries having an agenda to start selling whisky to North Korea is pure rubbish. And while he has a point about DNA being stored and the future benefits of that, he took it too far.

I’ve loved so much that he has done, but that just ended up annoying me.

I like it but a few of the regular phrases really grate on me. The ocarino pause. Ugh. Just play an ad. Podcast hug. Cringe.

I like it but a few of the regular phrases really grate on me. The ocarino pause. Ugh. Just play an ad. Podcast hug. Cringe.

I get what he means by the podcast hug. It’s just him and a microphone and I’m always listening on earphones, so it can be quite an intimate experience.

Ocarina pause is odd. I rarely get the advert and, when I don’t, he just sounds like a three year old with a recorder. A random succession of notes, blown viciously. Fair enough, it’s just filling time which he has to do to deal with the commercial realities, but he’s always going on about being a multi instrument musician and this isn’t melodic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

That most recent Blindboy podcast was fairly poor. Talking about gin distilleries having an agenda to start selling whisky to North Korea is pure rubbish. And while he has a point about DNA being stored and the future benefits of that, he took it too far.

In fairness, he did explicitly say that the DNA story was going to go way off the wall and asked that it wouldn't be taken seriously as a view of his. It was just an elaborate story for entertainment really..

_feedback_ wrote: »

In fairness, he did explicitly say that the DNA story was going to go way off the wall and asked that it wouldn't be taken seriously as a view of his. It was just an elaborate story for entertainment really..

Only at the very end. He does have a point in that none of us understood how much our google searches were worth to people selling things and we gladly gave all that away. Now we have no idea what our DNA profiles are worth. So some good topics. Then the last ten minutes of the podcast were purely bonkers, and then he says he knows he was talking rubbish and not to take it too seriously, or repeat it. For me, that wasn’t enough to get over what I had just heard.

It’s a good podcast and I think his heart is in the right place. He has confidence and he thinks he can influence people for the better, trying to tackle mental health and social issues instead of just making people laugh. Some of it is quite touching, like the one where he spoke at length about his dead father and recounted some of his dad’s old tales of working in Shannon airport. Those stories were made by that emotional connection, rather than their content.

That Spike Lee interview was great, one of the best yet from Blindboy imho

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭badboyblast

That Spike Lee interview was great, one of the best yet from Blindboy imho

Excellent,

First time I've skipped most of a podcast. I have very little interest in art history. Some volcano is responsible for an art movement yawn

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

First time I've skipped most of a podcast. I have very little interest in art history. Some volcano is responsible for an art movement yawn

It was definitely the worst of his podcasts so far imo. It came across as lazy to me, wasn't interesting at all.

• Advertisement

Haven't listened yet, but I could tell from the description it would be shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Housing should be a gibbon

Anyone listen to the cognitive psychology one? Deleted the first one about 20 minutes in, assume part 2 is more of the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

He has a rant about the Guards and how they treated the Frederick Street protestors first and then it's more of the same.

I find myself disagreeing with Blindboy a lot more lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

last few months he has been quite hypocritical. He used to say he barely drinks alcohol or plays video games and the reasons why were very high horse like. Now thats all he seems to be doing!

I unsubscribed before and I resubscribed almost straight away. But I reckon I'll give it 2 more episodes before I unsubscribe for good, if it's more shíte I'll finish with it. First 20 or so episodes it was one of the podcasts I'd look forward too most in my playlist, now I'm struggling to listen to more than 20 minutes before I delete it.
    Hot takes are good if they take 5 minutes, I don't like a whole show devoted to 1 hot take.

I unsubscribed before and I resubscribed almost straight away. But I reckon I'll give it 2 more episodes before I unsubscribe for good, if it's more shíte I'll finish with it. First 20 or so episodes it was one of the podcasts I'd look forward too most in my playlist, now I'm struggling to listen to more than 20 minutes before I delete it.
    Hot takes are good if they take 5 minutes, I don't like a whole show devoted to 1 hot take.

I have a very similar opinion. Loved it at the start but it's getting progressively worse. Maybe because at the start it was a bit of fun for him and a way to promote his book but now he sees it as a proper source of income and it has become more self indulgent.

I'll stick with it for now but I turned todays podcast off with 30 mins left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭onrail

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I find myself disagreeing with Blindboy a lot more lately.

Yeah, same. But then again that's half the reason I listen. Sometimes it's good to listen to an opinion or viewpoint that's different to yours.

Definitely won't be unsubscribing. Still finding it all pretty mad and interesting!

• Advertisement

onrail wrote: »
    Yeah, same. But then again that's half the reason I listen. Sometimes it's good to listen to an opinion or viewpoint that's different to yours.

Definitely won't be unsubscribing. Still finding it all pretty mad and interesting!

The stuff about the housing protests pissed me off to be honest. He's claiming the irish government are spinning some yarn to turn the people against each other like its some kind of conspiracy theory, meanwhile he's calling the evictors paramilitary. He usually has the ability to take a step back are be somewhat unbiased but he's completely partisan in this case. He's one step away from calling the media "fake news", saying nobody is backing him therefore he is the truth and they are paid for. He claimed the gardai never put out a statement about the famous eviction, but they did. He asked that question on twitter and someone linked him to it. He obviously completely ignored it. A quick google can find these statements. I had to turn it off once it got the the psychology stuff because I couldn't listen to him immediately after that rant. The funny thing is, I more or less agree with what the housing protesters are trying to do, but its far more nuanced then people are letting on.

Advertisement