Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

And then add to that , if you spend billions opening several rural freight only lines - (that don't carry a large volume of freight ) then you've squandered the opportunity to use train for what they're good at , MASS TRANSIT , either in urban areas or between urban areas ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

And then add to that , if you spend billions opening several rural freight only lines - (that don't carry a large volume of freight ) then you've squandered the opportunity to use train for what they're good at , MASS TRANSIT , either in urban areas or between urban areas ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

No one has suggested spending billions reopening some old lines. In 2005, it was estimated to cost 35m for Athenry-Tuam and 59m for Tuam-Claremorris.

Who's estimates?

WOT's?

They've shown form in vastly under estimating. They quoted phase 1 at 76 million, it came in 50% higher at around 110 million

Lets not forget the near 20 years of inflation you would need to apply as well

I think they were suggesting similar for rosslare Waterford ,

Plus they're going to need rolling stock , and freight yards and staff and annual running costs .so a huge annual subvention ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The multiple smaller customer route isn't realistic for rail freight. The pool of potential customers with goods running between the rail freight nodes is very small, and of that small pool, it is going to be very difficult to tempt them away from the well established method. If road is required for further movement, you have double-handling and most would likely go road from start to finish.

The freight train would likely have to be running empty as a proof of concept before any business could seriously consider ditching the tried and tested method with a choice of multiple logistics companies available and signing up to a new service with a single operator. There would also have to be guarantees that the rail service will operate for the foreseeable future and heavy penalties if it is dropped, potential customers need certainty.

The rail option would also have to be cheaper than road, and as that is unlikely to be the case for real operating costs, the rail would have to be heavily subsidised. I doubt that is even allowed under competition rules.

As a logistics manager you'd also have to account for it being a single point-of-failure from the likes of strikes, line issues etc

I believe there was a strike ages ago that killed a lot of the rail freight demand, but I'm talking many years ago now

This thread has info on it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there was way way more involved in the downfall of rail freight in ireland then the ILDA.

don't get me wrong, they didn't helpe matters, but realistically a lot of the freight around will have either been on the way out, or irish rail planned to get out of it anyway in their misguided strategy to only focus on the passenger sector.

it was just easier to blame the ILDA for the lot.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

True enough, I know the likes of fertilisers etc died off but strikes that ran for weeks won't have made the service appealing to any potential customers

We had pretty much every city and large town connected to a rail network , and most of the ports too , there were many dedicated rail freight yards and rail container freight yards ,

Most tellingly We didn't have a motorway network,

And it still didn't work ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in fairness it mostly did work.

even if it had to be put on a truck at 1 or both ends it meant those trucks were driving short journeys which meant less infrastructure required to cater specifically to them.

even with a good motor way network the less stuff on it the better as it saves maintenence costs and helps with other issues.

certainly we won't see a return to the amounts of rail freight of the past but certainly there is room for growth, and that will need to happen.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I just don't see it , except in exceptional specific case , when it didn't work nationally before , going from city to city , and we had the infrastructure, plus limited competition,

and now it'll be Rosey stopping outside little villages , it'd be like watching thomas the tank engine but I real life.. hurrah

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The feasibility study on the Athenry-Milltown greenway went to TII and it must have said something good as 300k of funding has been released to Galway County Council to look at route selection options and other bits that will hopefully take it to the next phase or beyond

From Ciaran cannon on FB

€300,000 for design phase of Athenry to Milltown greenway

I’m delighted to welcome an announcement today by Transport Minister Eamon Ryan of funding for the design phase of the Athenry to Milltown Greenway. Transport Infrastructure Ireland has allocated €300,000 to Galway County Council for the design phase of the greenway, which will connect the two East Galway towns. This is a vital investment in a greenway that will boost the economy of towns and villages along the route., and will enhance the quality of life of local residents.

I’m very grateful to Minister Ryan for his continued support for the Athenry to Milltown Greenway, he shares our ambition to develop a world class public amenity that has the potential to enhance the towns of Athenry, Tuam and Milltown and showcase our region to the world. This investment of €300,000 which was sought by Galway Co. Council will allow for the appointment of consultants to carry out the public engagement and design phase of the greenway and it follows on from a €75,000 investment in the carrying out of a feasibility study.

Galway Co. Council recently submitted the findings of that feasibility study to the Department of Transport and Transport Infrastructure Ireland. It outlines a number of potential routing options to connect Athenry to Milltown. The findings of that study have now been approved by TII and Minister Ryan has acted immediately to allocate €300,000 for the design phase. I will continue to engage with Minister Ryan and his colleagues to stress the urgency of getting this project underway as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

And Sligo have gotten €400K for Collooney to Bellaghy section. I cant wait for both Greenways to arrive at both north and south border of Mayo, and what excuses the Mayo councillors and TD's come out with. Interesting how the public will react too.

Says it all about Mayo....

There is a change in mindset,,,,,

Tomorrows news today!

Its becoming a little clearer what the All Island Rail Review is going to recommend

I'd love for someone to elaborate on how reopening the WRC could "allow for the provision of a service to Northern Ireland", as claimed in that article.

I don't think the All Island Rail Review can be taken seriously, it seems to say "do everything". It remains to be seen if they have actually assessed the feasibility of any projects, presumably not as any actual assessments have found no case for reopening. If it recommends reopening the WRC north of Claremorris, then the report should be immediately dumped in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There seems to be a widespread delusion that were was a Sligo to Letterkenny/Derry rail line that could be reopened. But there wasn't and there isn't even a single corridor to stitch together from the lines that did exist.

The MGWR line always ended at Sligo - there was a branch to the docks but it did not cross the Garravogue. The area between Sligo and Bundoran was never served by rail.

Bundoran and Ballyshannon were served by a standard gauge line from Enniskillen.

There was a Derry-Donegal(-Killybegs) narrow gauge line; with a branch to Ballyshannon - the other side of the river to the Enniskillen & Bundoran.

Letterkenny was on a different railway system entirely; so even if you did reuse the alignment - what hasn't fallen in to the bog - of the CDRJC - to get to Derry and somewhere near the NIR system you would miss the only significant population centre in Donegal!

Yeah, you'd hope the claim about provision of a service to Northern Ireland in that article innocently came from the ignorance of the author rather than coming from briefings from officials!

It's amazing how something so inaccurate can make it into such an article, no doubt many will believe it and think the WRC could eventually facilitate trains from Galway to Belfast. I don't expect to see a correction in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The article seems to be based on a dail exchange between Ryan and O Cuiv and nothing more.

I cant find the dail transcripts of his question but i highly doubt any mention of WRC serving NI was made by Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Westernview

It's good to see that this is the approach now. It suggests that they intend to open the line further. Claremorris initially and hopefully then Sligo.

The plans in motion for Castlebar in this piece is also adding to the case.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/03/21/mayo-site-identified-for-strategic-rail-freight-hub/

O'Cuiv is some gombeen. The section north of Claremorris will never reopen, at least not in the next 50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

From TheJournal today apparently the All-Island Rail Review was supposed to be jointly published by Dublin and Belfast, but since Stormont is in mothballs, the Department of Transport here tells The Journal that the draft review will be published when it is completed in a few weeks.

The Journal understands that the report contains draft proposals to construct a new rail-line connecting Letterkenny in Donegal with Derry, along with moves to reverse greenway plans elsewhere in favour of rail.

These include ... resum[ing] part of the Western Rail Corridor connecting the towns of Athenry in Galway and Claremorris in Mayo.

These lines would focus on freight with the aim of removing haulage vehicles from the road. If successful, there is the possibility of passenger travel resuming on the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Westernview

Interesting....sounds positive anyway if the sources are accurate. Even a draft release at this stage would be welcome.

The original WRC route north of Claremorris to Collooney is approx. 75km. It is very meandering in parts, was built to a low standard and part of the alignment have been encroached upon. It crosses the N5 and N17 x 2 with no existing provision for grade separation, as well as passing at grade across several busy town streets and riddled with minor at grade crossings.

There was a rail line from Ballaghadereen north connecting to the Sligo between Boyle and Ballymote. The alignment is visible on Google maps although I am not sure how much, if any, is still in state ownership. The terrain is relatively flat with a few small road crossings, the N5 being the only busy road crossing. I'd like to see an assessment of utilising this as a link between the existing Mayo and Sligo rail lines. Basically a link from west of Castlerea to south of Ballymote.

It would be about 30km, 15km of new alignment between Castlerea and Ballaghadereen, and 15km of old alignment north of Ballaghadereen although it could deviate to take a more direct route in places. Even if the route north of Ballaghadereen was essentially rebuilt from scratch, than is basically what would be required with WRC so it is 30km of build v 75km of build.

The distance from Claremorris to Collooney would be about 10km more than WRC (85km v 75km) but the alignment via Ballaghadereen would likely still be faster as it uses fairly straight parts of the existing Mayo (32km Castlerea - Claremorris) and Sligo (23km south of Ballymote - Collooney) rail lines which should allow for higher speeds than WRC. One drawback would be the lack of population with Ballaghadereen being the only town served, although this would be a benefit in some ways allowing for faster journey times.

Using sections of existing track is obviously efficient in terms of maintenance, rather than adding new track incurring additional maintenace costs. It could help to justify double tracking parts of the single track network which would be very beneficial. As well as allowing trains travel between Sligo and Galway, it would also allow connections between Sligo and Castlebar/Westport/Ballina and also Athlone. It would be possible then to send Sligo - Dublin trains via Athlone to Hueston which would be good in terms of removing long distance trains from the busy track east of Maynooth (Longford trains commuter would have to be extended to Boyle).

I think examining this and how it can improve the overall network would be more worthwhile than saying reopen the full WRC because that's the way the trains went 100 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

So, if going from Galway to Sligo via this route you'd go:

Galway->Oranmore->Athenry->Ballyglunin->Tuam->Milltown->Ballindine->Claremorris->Ballyhaunis->Castlerea->Ballaghadereen->Collooney->Sligo.

Might take a while to get there!

And if you think it wouldn't stop in small places like Ballyglunin and Ballindine, then you've been ignoring commentary on this thread, and you'd be very unaware of the quality of our West Or Ireland politicians who would demand it.

Advertisement