Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pellet stoves

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yeah I like it. Way too big for my Sitting room, 8 Kw , I'd need 3 Kw probably max.

492307.jpg

She blows a great bit of heat out of her, perfect job for the room....now all I need is a good frosty night and test it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jenaoi

Hi. I’m getting a k stove karat 6w wood pellet stove and just wondering if anyone Has any opinion on them. Are they very noisy or can you turn the fan down?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Jenaoi wrote: »
    Hi. I’m getting a k stove karat 6w wood pellet stove and just wondering if anyone Has any opinion on them. Are they very noisy or can you turn the fan down?

I've only fitted one of these and fixed a few they used to be sold by a supplier here in cork who no longer does them and I find it hard to get parts where did you buy it?. I think they are louder than most of the other pellet stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭S'

I am considering a Pellet boiler stove to replace my 16kW Nestor Martin solid fuel stove. Any reviews from people that had them installing recently?
    There are a few common manufactures - MCZ, Ungaro, ravelli, Kalor & Palazzetti.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

We're recently installed the MCZ 16kw pellet boiler stove.
    Pros:
    We went for a self cleaning model which is great. Just needs a clean once a week instead of every couple of days.
    There is hardly any noise from it.
    Looks good and great heat from it in the room.

Cons:
    We are having issues trying to balance the heating. So far it seems to only heat rads fully when at full temp which is 30°. This is not practical heatwise or costwise as it's going through the pellets fast.
    Anyone else know if this is normal for the pellet boiler stoves?

So if we can resolve that, we will be happy and would recommend it.
    Only one supplier of MCZ in Ireland which is where we purchased ours.

• Advertisement

S' wrote: »
    I am considering a Pellet boiler stove to replace my 16kW Nestor Martin solid fuel stove. Any reviews from people that had them installing recently?
    There are a few common manufactures - MCZ, Ungaro, ravelli, Kalor & Palazzetti.

We ended up with the Stanley
    https://stoneandstoves.ie/product/8kw-solis-k100/

This is just a room heater. Not connected to the heating.

Pro
    Timer is very handy, will kick off at 6 in morning and have room lovely and warm by time kids come up.

Very very easy to clean, have a hoover and just clean it out
    Set temp so it will increase/decrease to hit temp. With solid fuel before you could end up with a room which was too hot to sit in, let fire fie out and then too cold

Con
    Cannot control from web. I have everything else connected, might try via a smart plug
    Pellet storage, I haven't really worked out how to store a full pallet of pellets so I am buying 3-4 bags at a time so paying a little extra.

All in I am glad I went with it, a lot easier to push a button and it starts to heat the room instead of fecking around with matchs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭S'

GaGa21 wrote: »
    We're cently installed the MCZ 16kw pellet boiler stove.
    Pros
    We went for a self cleaning model which is great. Just needs a clean once a week instead of every couple of days.
    There is hardly any noise from it.
    Looks good and great heat from it.

Cons
    We are having issues trying to balance the heating. So far it seems to only heat rads fully when at full temp which is 30°. This is not practical heatwise or costwise as it's going through the pellets fast.
    Anyone else know if this is normal for the pellet boiler stoves?

So if we can resolve that, we will be happy and would recommend it.
    Only one supplier of MCZ in Ireland which is were we purchased ours.

Thanks for that.
    MCZ is the manufacture that I am interested in. Do you set the water temperature setpoint to try an manitain that temperature through the rads? Wouldn't 30deg be too low of a temperature? I was thinking maybe 60deg.
    How many pellets is it consuming at the moment?

Maybe you should go back to the place where you bought it to see if they have any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Does anybody have any experience with the Tosca 24kw wood pellet Boiler.

I have an old multifuel stove connected to the back boiler but it is not strong enough for the rads and is old and messy. Just bought the house and my thinking was to get a powerful wood pellet that would do CH rads and local heat in sitting room area so I wouldn't need my oil anymore.

I was all set for a wood pellet but this thread has me more confused now.
    I might just replace current stove with local heat wood pellet and cont to use the oil for Central Heating

Any solid reports on wood pellet boiler stoves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Curiouslady01

Hi folks, just a quick question. How do I go about putting in a complaint about a kalor pellet boiler to kalor? If anyone has the information it would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Kalors distribution in Ireland is by woodpellet stoves.
    You can contact them threw the website www.woodpelletstoves.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Curiouslady01

Thanks so much but that route no longer seems to be an option for me. I did find what I was looking for though. Thanks again for your reply.

Hi folks, just a quick question. How do I go about putting in a complaint about a kalor pellet boiler to kalor? If anyone has the information it would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

What's the issue you're having ?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I just bite the bullet.....I will be broke for a month

Went with the Stanley http://stoneandstoves.ie/product/8kw-solis-k100/

In the red as well......8kW

The Innofire was the other option from same company but they had none in stock and 4+ weeks before delivery and had installer ready to go, couldnt be bothered arguing with Misses so just bite the bullet......install 1st week of October

Almost 7 months later how's the stove going ?

How many bags are you burning for that large room ?

Where do you get the bags and do you bulk buy ? would be a pain trying to store them in a shed or outside with the cold and damp in this country.

Almost 7 months later how's the stove going ?

How many bags are you burning for that large room ?

Where do you get the bags and do you bulk buy ? would be a pain trying to store them in a shed or outside with the cold and damp in this country.

Its flying!! one thing to note when you buy these things. Read the manual :P it was new to the shop and the installer so they gave me a brief run over and told me to read the manual. ANyway manual is still in the press never read.

For a long time I was setting the fire and fan manually, so it would burn away. Then I was messing one day and figured out I could set it to auto fan and set the temp. Now we are all sorted. SO this morning as everyone is in house I fired it at 6 when kids got up, now it just trickles away all day and keeps that room warm.

At the moment buying bags at 6 euro a pop in local supplier. I do have space in shed but I need to repair roof and dont want to buy bulk and they get wet. Dont see any issue with storing in shed.

In terms of usage, a bag would keep it going for circa 2 days, its a big f**k of a room so taht is not too bad. If I was using coal/log I would easily burn a full bag of coal, problem with the bag of coal, was at times the room would be like an oven. This is the bit my wife would like back, I dont

Its flying!! one thing to note when you buy these things. Read the manual :P it was new to the shop and the installer so they gave me a brief run over and told me to read the manual. ANyway manual is still in the press never read.

For a long time I was setting the fire and fan manually, so it would burn away. Then I was messing one day and figured out I could set it to auto fan and set the temp. Now we are all sorted. SO this morning as everyone is in house I fired it at 6 when kids got up, now it just trickles away all day and keeps that room warm.

At the moment buying bags at 6 euro a pop in local supplier. I do have space in shed but I need to repair roof and dont want to buy bulk and they get wet. Dont see any issue with storing in shed.

In terms of usage, a bag would keep it going for circa 2 days, its a big f**k of a room so taht is not too bad. If I was using coal/log I would easily burn a full bag of coal, problem with the bag of coal, was at times the room would be like an oven. This is the bit my wife would like back, I dont

Delighted it's working well for you.

Yes solid fuel is hard to regulate and doesn't care how hot the room is the same with my Oil stove even though there is a lot more regulation it doesn't care how hot the room is so it will waste a lot more fuel because of this.

This is one of the big attractions to the pellet stoves, it lights itself, has a timer and regulates the temp and I think it's worth the effort of managing pellets.

If you got away with 1 bag for 2 days that's good going, I would probably get away with half or less in a lower Kw stove.

I would like an insert stove though they are a lot more expensive.

So it costs 6 Euro a bag and how big is a bag of pellets ?

Not sure where I could get them in Carlow, I imagine the likes of Woodies charges a fortune.

Delighted it's working well for you.

Yes solid fuel is hard to regulate and doesn't care how hot the room is the same with my Oil stove even though there is a lot more regulation it doesn't care how hot the room is so it will waste a lot more fuel because of this.

This is one of the big attractions to the pellet stoves, it lights itself, has a timer and regulates the temp and I think it's worth the effort of managing pellets.

If you got away with 1 bag for 2 days that's good going, I would probably get away with half or less in a lower Kw stove.

I would like an insert stove though they are a lot more expensive.

So it costs 6 Euro a bag and how big is a bag of pellets ?

Not sure where I could get them in Carlow, I imagine the likes of Woodies charges a fortune.

They are a 15kg bag, so will fill up the stove and have maybe a qtr left in the bag. Woodies are stupid money alright, I think 10 or 12 a bag but I can't see on website

These are the ones my supplier sells: https://premiumpellets.ie/
    65 bags for €365. SO if they are buying at 365 they make 25 quid off the pallet. Not a huge cost but I know other suppliers willing to do cheaper if buying in bulk.

Not sure how it would work as insert? where you put the pellets?

I was going to buy a small one for a sun room! I think one supplier mentioned petit or something like that, I am buying the pellets anyway

The main plus is the timer. It comes on at 6 and room is perfect, plus cleaning is so easy, every so often a quick hoover of the dust and sorted, not of that f**king around with solid fuel stove

They are a 15kg bag, so will fill up the stove and have maybe a qtr left in the bag. Woodies are stupid money alright, I think 10 or 12 a bag but I can't see on website

These are the ones my supplier sells: https://premiumpellets.ie/
    65 bags for €365. SO if they are buying at 365 they make 25 quid off the pallet. Not a huge cost but I know other suppliers willing to do cheaper if buying in bulk.

Not sure how it would work as insert? where you put the pellets?

I was going to buy a small one for a sun room! I think one supplier mentioned petit or something like that, I am buying the pellets anyway

The main plus is the timer. It comes on at 6 and room is perfect, plus cleaning is so easy, every so often a quick hoover of the dust and sorted, not of that f**king around with solid fuel stove

All good info thanks.

With an insert pellet stove you load the pellets into a tray that pulls out from the front.

All good info thanks.

With an insert pellet stove you load the pellets into a tray that pulls out from the front.

Interesting, how much would the tray hold?

Interesting, how much would the tray hold?

I don't know to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sophir

All in I will be close to 2500 for stove and installation....flue liner etc....as the fireplace is open I need expensive flue and then flexi flue rest of way up

Mad_Lad, u don't know by any chance the cost of installation of a wood pellet boiler stove? Is it safe to have it In the house? Don't understand the points above re emission ect. If the child is at home on her own after school is it safe to run the stove? Can't make up my mind whether to go for oil condensing boiler or a wood pellets boiler stove? People, please advise!!!! No man in the house, so don't have a clue. Need smth on a timer for convenience. Priced the installation, 1K is the cheapest quote....

• Advertisement

Sophir wrote: »
    Mad_Lad, u don't know by any chance the cost of installation of a wood pellet boiler stove? Is it safe to have it In the house? Don't understand the points above re emission ect. If the child is at home on her own after school is it safe to run the stove? Can't make up my mind whether to go for oil condensing boiler or a wood pellets boiler stove? People, please advise!!!! No man in the house, so don't have a clue. Need smth on a timer for convenience. Priced the installation, 1K is the cheapest quote....

I was quoted around 3K including installation and new flue. But that was for a free standing stove, not boiler. I think I'd be looking for an insert and they're more expensive but having said that the stove might have a boiler option.

I might get to it this year hard to know what to do I like the idea of efficiency and temperature control which solid fuel doesn't have. Currently have a open Gas fire and never use it, way too expensive.

As to Child safety, depending on the age and how savoy the Child is, only you know that and can judge if you feel doubt then don't leave the stove on and use the central heating if you have it until you come home.

Are you talking about a full heating system on pellet boiler v oil condensing?

Are you talking about a full heating system on pellet boiler v oil condensing?

Thanks for the reply. Talking about a full heating system on pellet boiler stove not a pellet boiler outside. No oil in the house. Thinking of taking out a solid fuel stove with a back boiler and replace it with wood pellet free standing stove with a back boiler so will heat the rads as well. I can see Stanley has started making them, but couldn't find any reviews, they r new on the market I believe

Thanks for the reply. Talking about a full heating system on pellet boiler stove not a pellet boiler outside. No oil in the house. Thinking of taking out a solid fuel stove with a back boiler and replace it with wood pellet free standing stove with a back boiler so will heat the rads as well. I can see Stanley has started making them, but couldn't find any reviews, they r new on the market I believe

Would you not be better going for heat pump? that is way market is moving

I bought a pellet stove to heat a room, I wouldnt use it to heat a house. I am thinking of swapping out the oil for heat pump.

The issue is you could put in pellet stove now and in 10 years have to swap it out again

You’ll use a lot of pellets to heat rads and you’ll need a good size dry place to store them buying in bulk.

Not sure whether I’d go with a pellet stove to heat rads.

+ the stove will need cleaning but I suppose it can’t be worse than solid fuel.

Ever look into a heat pump ? If your house is very well insulated it might be worth a look.

Or oil might be a better bet especially now it’s only around 400 a tank which will change but they won’t be for some time.

The price of pellets might be more stable than oil.

If the government push for a fed in tariff I’ll definitely look into getting solar PV and heat pump because all the excess energy in the finer weather can be bought back when needed the grid becomes unlimited battery.

You’ll use a lot of pellets to heat rads and you’ll need a good size dry place to store them buying in bulk.

Not sure whether I’d go with a pellet stove to heat rads.

+ the stove will need cleaning but I suppose it can’t be worse than solid fuel.

Ever look into a heat pump ? If your house is very well insulated it might be worth a look.

Or oil might be a better bet especially now it’s only around 400 a tank which will change but they won’t be for some time.

The price of pellets might be more stable than oil.

If the government push for a fed in tariff I’ll definitely look into getting solar PV and heat pump because all the excess energy in the finer weather can be bought back when needed the grid becomes unlimited battery.

You can get heat pumo now with high temp or a hybrid system. Heat pump to bring up water temp and then oil to finish off massivekly reduces oil requirement

Would look at them before pellets. I did see a house once with one I was looking to buy. THey have a garage with this huge hopper to hold it. Like massive, maybe you can get smaller

Yeah I think on such a scale and all the moving parts I would look elsewhere, I would get a pellet stove as a space heater but don't think I'd do it to heat rads.

I was looking at the heliotherm W2W, 7. something COP though the company in Galway said that could be higher COP depending on how many rads I have, more rads = better heat distribution via lower temp. New rads needed. But the company never came out which is typical of Ireland, unreliable companies, that's pretty amazing efficiency though but probably just go with A2W if the house was very well insulated, it isn't lol.

Would you not be better going for heat pump? that is way market is moving

I bought a pellet stove to heat a room, I wouldnt use it to heat a house. I am thinking of swapping out the oil for heat pump.

The issue is you could put in pellet stove now and in 10 years have to swap it out again

Guys, not sure if a heat pump will work for the house I am in. The house is 60 years old, dry lined inside, artic insulated. But as far as I know all the rads will need to be changed for some special type for heat pump? Am I correct? Heat pump is a very expensive system to install, isnt it? Priced oil installation - between 3K -4K for tank, condensing boiler, piping & labour. I have only 6 rads, small house 1000 sq feet. It would be costly to install Oil and heat pump. But would love to get away from the solid fuel.

Guys, not sure if a heat pump will work for the house I am in. The house is 60 years old, dry lined inside, artic insulated. But as far as I know all the rads will need to be changed for some special type for heat pump? Am I correct? Heat pump is a very expensive system to install, isnt it? Priced oil installation - between 3K -4K for tank, condensing boiler, piping & labour. I have only 6 rads, small house 1000 sq feet. It would be costly to install Oil and heat pump. But would love to get away from the solid fuel.

Yes heat pumps are expensive and the house needs to be reasonably well insulated. It might be worth investing in insulation first before new heating.

Oil boilers need extremely little maintenance and it's probably the way to go think carefully because the loading mechanism for pellet boiler stoves is complicated and I don't know how much maintenance it may or may not need or how reliable it is.

Oil would be the cheapest way to go, solid fuel is pretty expensive to run + you got the so much cleaning to do and you can't regulate it and got to have the rads on most of the time when the stove is on.

With Oil you can get some form of regulation even the TRV's for the radiators help.

Heat pump will require new rads, yes and the more rads you have the better, I have large double rads and 2 of them in most rooms but they're old and would need replacing anyway. But heatpump works well the more rads you have.

My house is an 80's Bungalow with Conservatory which sucks heat out of the kitchen dining area so we need to do something about that. Walls were pumped and the attic was converted without raising the roof so insulation up here isn't great and the other part of the attic at the sides is not very accessible the bit that is is a storage area so not ideal, this floor should be raised and more insulation installed in this area.

So not perfect for HP but with a cop of 7 or higher , for ( W2W hp ) the more rads you have the batter the heat transfer the lower the temp the water needs to be and the higher the COP.

Unfortunately for me there aren't many installers of the W2W Heliotherm HP so it's going to be fun to try get them to give me quotes and no doubt it will be expensive, hopefully as I said earlier in the nearer future we might have a Feed-In-tariff and all the excess solar PV can be exported and bought back to run the heatpump, this would make the running of the HP a lot cheaper because currently you can't use all the excess solar and most of that will be when you don't need the hp in the warmer months, except of course to heat water but with Solar PV there's no real need to use the HP in Summer to heat the water.

Anyway I'm sure more people can advise you better on boiler pellet stoves.

Have you got some place to store them in bulk ?

If I were you I'd spend the money on insulation first.

• Advertisement

Yes heat pumps are expensive and the house needs to be reasonably well insulated. It might be worth investing in insulation first before new heating.

Oil boilers need extremely little maintenance and it's probably the way to go think carefully because the loading mechanism for pellet boiler stoves is complicated and I don't know how much maintenance it may or may not need or how reliable it is.

Oil would be the cheapest way to go, solid fuel is pretty expensive to run + you got the so much cleaning to do and you can't regulate it and got to have the rads on most of the time when the stove is on.

With Oil you can get some form of regulation even the TRV's for the radiators help.

Heat pump will require new rads, yes and the more rads you have the better, I have large double rads and 2 of them in most rooms but they're old and would need replacing anyway. But heatpump works well the more rads you have.

My house is an 80's Bungalow with Conservatory which sucks heat out of the kitchen dining area so we need to do something about that. Walls were pumped and the attic was converted without raising the roof so insulation up here isn't great and the other part of the attic at the sides is not very accessible the bit that is is a storage area so not ideal, this floor should be raised and more insulation installed in this area.

So not perfect for HP but with a cop of 7 or higher , for ( W2W hp ) the more rads you have the batter the heat transfer the lower the temp the water needs to be and the higher the COP.

Unfortunately for me there aren't many installers of the W2W Heliotherm HP so it's going to be fun to try get them to give me quotes and no doubt it will be expensive, hopefully as I said earlier in the nearer future we might have a Feed-In-tariff and all the excess solar PV can be exported and bought back to run the heatpump, this would make the running of the HP a lot cheaper because currently you can't use all the excess solar and most of that will be when you don't need the hp in the warmer months, except of course to heat water but with Solar PV there's no real need to use the HP in Summer to heat the water.

Anyway I'm sure more people can advise you better on boiler pellet stoves.

Have you got some place to store them in bulk ?

If I were you I'd spend the money on insulation first.

Thanks . I don't think I can really add more insulation. Insulated slabs on inside walls, artic well insulated, walls were pumped but a while ago. It look like oil is the way to go. Solid fuel is cheap. Cost me only 400 euro a year, but lots of disadvantages with it. Can u regulate the room temp with oil or every time u turn on the rads they are piping hot? I know smb who hears the house with wood pellet boiler stove and delighted with it. I have a shed to store them in. But again dragging them in and out again the same as turf at the moment....the only good thing about the pellet stove is that u can turn it on and off any time, set the temp. Hard to make a decision.

Advertisement