Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

West Cork

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

RockDesk wrote: »
    I don't know how the French solicitor can read the GSOC report and think they have a strong case to proceed with.

From what little I know of the French system, I think the case would be conducted with a stronger emphasis on investigation.

Somebody murdered the poor woman at the end of the day. More than likely there are living people who have knowledge and/or valid suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Interesting article all the same. I'm not sure how much I believe the drug-dealing fears - but I suppose it's not completely outrageous to assume someone has worries about it!

On the face of it, it's not that interesting a case but when you get into it, it's almost beyond belief what went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I liked the podcast. Felt that it was targeted more at people who had never heard of the case, especially how they reveal Ian Bailey in like episode 2/3. Funny hearing the old RTÉ/96FM reports too.

What I take from it is that he probably did do it, and the Gardaí probably did cover up stuff. What I think is that they know it's him but screwed the investigation at the start so much that they tried to pin it on him. So he (Bailey) is probably both guilty and a victim. He seems to enjoy that fact though.

Doubt it'll ever be solved TBH, which is an awful shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any word on the new episodes.

It was botched from the start. Leaving the body out in the lashing rain really didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MOBH

A strong rumor that was floating around for awhile and has been shared locally is that it was a local detective that did it and that it was all covered up because of who he was. Said detective is now dead
    But who knows! Excellent podcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

MOBH wrote: »
    A strong rumor that was floating around for awhile and has been shared locally is that it was a local detective that did it and that it was all covered up because of who he was. Said detective is now dead
    But who knows! Excellent podcast

that’s what the village magazine article linked a few posts above was saying

I’m currently listening to the podcast, really enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Almost finished this. One of the best podcasts I’ve ever listened to. When I heard Bailey was going to be interviewed thoroughout I thought oh here we go, another platform for him to showboat his ego but actually it’s quite a critical representation of him. The real Ian manages to expose himself throughout the episodes without the hosts having to do much poking and prodding, and it’s not flattering.
    Some parts you’d wonder if you’re listening to a Pat Shortt skit. Absolutely farcicial how this was managed from every side.
    Ian definitely relishes his role in all of this. I get major Michael Peterson vibes from him.

I finished it today, really enjoyed it, wonder will it ever be solved, so sad for Sophie’s family

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Listened to this during the week. I thought it was very well put together, they did a great job of tracking down pretty much anyone to do with the case. It was pretty impressive they got the detective and even Fiona on to talk.

I was familiar with the case beforehand without knowing all the ins and outs. Probably thought Bailey was innocent and had been hounded and persecuted by the media from what I had seen and read.

After this, while still not convinced, my opinion has changed and I'd be more inclined to think he's guilty. After the mess the gards made of it, they were never going to recover enough evidence to convict anybody. He came across as very strange though, and definitely revels in the attention he gets from it. Comes across as almost getting a kick out of it all, I found it odd that he still goes to the market in a town where he is clearly not wanted, and persists in wearing shades no matter the weather. Seems like he's trying to creep people out and provoke a reaction, so he can be the victim again.

Another thing that stood out was when he said how the gards had never interviewed someone like him before and when pressed on what he meant, he said something like "they'd never met someone as intelligent as me".

I thought the wife came across as very naive and gullible, and backed up everything he said no matter how outlandish. How can you swipe someone away whilst driving and somehow tear their lip from their gum!

All in all though, a well researched series, no real answers from it but I suspect there will be more episodes in the future. Hopefully they manage to resolve it once and for all for the family, to give them some closure.

I found it very poignant in, I think the final episode, where Sophies son goes to see the barman Billy, who was the last to see her. He asks the wife's name, and when she replies he says its a lovely name. And then asks the daughter and she says Sophie, sounded like he was a bit taken aback and didn't quite know what to say. Don't know whether it was intentional or not but that moved me.

Lawlesz wrote: »
    Listened to this during the week. I thought it was very well put together, they did a great job of tracking down pretty much anyone to do with the case. It was pretty impressive they got the detective and even Fiona on to talk.

I was familiar with the case beforehand without knowing all the ins and outs. Probably thought Bailey was innocent and had been hounded and persecuted by the media from what I had seen and read.

After this, while still not convinced, my opinion has changed and I'd be more inclined to think he's guilty. After the mess the gards made of it, they were never going to recover enough evidence to convict anybody. He came across as very strange though, and definitely revels in the attention he gets from it. Comes across as almost getting a kick out of it all, I found it odd that he still goes to the market in a town where he is clearly not wanted, and persists in wearing shades no matter the weather. Seems like he's trying to creep people out and provoke a reaction, so he can be the victim again.

Another thing that stood out was when he said how the gards had never interviewed someone like him before and when pressed on what he meant, he said something like "they'd never met someone as intelligent as me".

I thought the wife came across as very naive and gullible, and backed up everything he said no matter how outlandish. How can you swipe someone away whilst driving and somehow tear their lip from their gum!

All in all though, a well researched series, no real answers from it but I suspect there will be more episodes in the future. Hopefully they manage to resolve it once and for all for the family, to give them some closure.

I found it very poignant in, I think the final episode, where Sophies son goes to see the barman Billy, who was the last to see her. He asks the wife's name, and when she replies he says its a lovely name. And then asks the daughter and she says Sophie, sounded like he was a bit taken aback and didn't quite know what to say. Don't know whether it was intentional or not but that moved me.

Agree totally

Another thing that struck me, I’m nearly certain in one of the episodes when they were talking about Sophie’s injuries it was mentioned that her lip was torn from her gum and then Jules had the same injury after a swipe from Ian, surely that wouldn’t have gone unnoticed??

Also the two suspects who took their own lives afterwards & the guy at the travel agents in Galway, were they discounted because the guards were convinced that it was Ian and didn’t want to consider any other scenario?
    I’m intrigued by it all and would love more answers.

Ian loves the notoriety it’s brought him & he’s convinced he’s way better educated than any of the half wits he’s had to deal with in Ireland. The guy who was bribed with the hash to try & frame Ian also had that condescending attitude over the paddy’s he was dealing with too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Have about an episode and a half of this left and it’s definitely one of the best things I’ve listened to. Hooks you in from the start, dips slightly around episodes 8-10 but most of it is fascinating.

Very well made and even though I’ve seen the case in papers for years, I knew very little about it.

Things I took away from it;

We’ll never know if Ian Bailey did it or not.

2 cases came down to the testimony of Marie Farrell and one of them on the fact she wouldn’t admit to who she was with on the night.

The Gardaí were way out of their depth and either a) didn’t have evidence on IB or b) messed it up from the beginning and it snowballed from there.

I don’t think IB did it but he didn’t exactly turn the spotlight away from him either.

The amount of stories, tales, gossip stemming from the case is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

den87 wrote: »
    Have about an episode and a half of this left and it’s definitely one of the best things I’ve listened to. Hooks you in from the start, dips slightly around episodes 8-10 but most of it is fascinating.

Very well made and even though I’ve seen the case in papers for years, I knew very little about it.

Things I took away from it;

We’ll never know if Ian Bailey did it or not.

2 cases came down to the testimony of Marie Farrell and one of them on the fact she wouldn’t admit to who she was with on the night.

The Gardaí were way out of their depth and either a) didn’t have evidence on IB or b) messed it up from the beginning and it snowballed from there.

I don’t think IB did it but he didn’t exactly turn the spotlight away from him either.

The amount of stories, tales, gossip stemming from the case is unreal.

can this be downloaded via pocketcast

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Blanco100 wrote: »
    can this be downloaded via pocketcast

No, it's only available on Audible.
    You can listen to it for free with a free trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I enjoyed listening to this in a binge over a long weekend.

I'm really left in two minds over Ian Bailey. On the one hand he comes across as an attention hungry looser that relished the intrigue; and so may be the perfect red herring for the crime. On the other, he seems like a violent man with pronounced mental health difficulties that seems to fit the bill of the killer.

Overall, he seems like too much of a wally to not have totally slipped up and comprehensively implicated himself over twenty years since the murder.

Finally, one thing I didn't realise was how horrible and violent Sophie's death was. That's probably the main thing I'm left with. Poor soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I finished the last episode over the weekend and I'm none the wiser on if Bailey did it or not.

If I had to guess, I think that it was probably pinned on Bailey by the Guards so they focused entirely on him and nobody else. Then again, in the last episode or two I was struck how Bailey almost dismissed his domestic violence history by saying they weren't premeditated.

Great Podcast overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I finished the last episode over the weekend and I'm none the wiser on if Bailey did it or not.

If I had to guess, I think that it was probably pinned on Bailey by the Guards so they focused entirely on him and nobody else. Then again, in the last episode or two I was struck how Bailey almost dismissed his domestic violence history by saying they weren't premeditated.

Great Podcast overall.

I'd kinda be of a similar view as yourself. Definitely a great piece of journalism overall. I'm not so sure it was 'pinned' on Bailey by the Guards, but possibly the bulk of the force was steered inappropriately by someone, since deceased, who had more 'skin in the game' than he should have had. The podcast didn't really deal with that facet enough though!

At the least, Bailey came across as somewhat unhinged from a social/awareness perspective, exhibiting a lot of narcissism and indeed acting as something of a sociopath along the way. His otherwise relatively mundane existence was clearly excited by all the attention and his participation in "the game". However, any prospect of outing him as a viable, prosecutable suspect was constantly undermined by cack- handed investigative processes, ranging from a Coroner who left a corpse out in the open for hours to manipulation of witnesses and disappearance of crucial evidence, such as a blood- and probably DNA- rich gate that never got the attention it probably deserved, or else its evidentiary treasure was subverted..

I look forward to the French prosecution. Let's see what that brings!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 matthewo111

Just finished the podcast series and here's some unfounded hot-take basket-case crack-pot theories.

1. Someone in the guards could have been actively involved - (apparently there are whispers of a local guard who has since died who is suspected - a very violent guy). The way they handled everything stunk to high-heaven. And they seem to have lost a tonne of evidence, like, more than can be considered normal... a blood-spattered gate, taken from close to where Ms Toscan du Plantier’s body was found, a French wine bottle found four months after the murder near the scene of the killing, and Mr Bailey’s black coat, all gone. There's something beyond the bounds of belief about all this, and everyone who has listened to the podcast know there is a tonne of other bizarre behaviour from the guards on this too.

2. Maria Farrell could have been more directly involved than she let on. She is one of the few people who was up at that hour and in the vicinity. It strikes me she was very much a person who (despite what she claims) liked being in the centre of it. And has proven to be a pathological liar. The DPP called her a "rotten apple" or something similar. Theres at least some signs of her being a psychopath here. Who was the other person in the car? Maybe it was just her. Or maybe Bailey himself. It's just bizarre she was taken at her word immediately. It's pretty unacceptable that she was allowed to keep silent on who was in the car with her. The man she claims it was, has been dead for a number of years. I kind of doubt it was who she says it was - just very convenient for her that he cannot verify it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Murder trial without Ian Bailey has started in Paris.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Guilty ,will they be able to extradite him though ?You would think they would but they have failed in the past .

Guilty ,will they be able to extradite him though ?You would think they would but they have failed in the past .

They'll probably have no better chance of getting him to France through the extradition process now that he has been tried and found guilty.

However, the French are very hard-nosed when it comes to 'plucking' lads from other EU countries when they've been found guilty in France. If I was Mr B, I'd be very careful about going for a sail or a dip in the sea off Schull. It would be fierce easy for him to find himself beyond a territorial limit, and looking into the eyes of a couple of Frogmen if he wasnt careful...

Look up the Kalinka Bamberski case as an example of what can happen...

Just sayin' , like.

• Advertisement

guilty in his absence but entitled to a new trial if he finds himself someone how in france. can they issue a European arrest warrant.

Dunphy has a podcast episode with Mick Clifford covering the trial in Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Look up the Kalinka Bamberski case as an example of what can happen...

Just sayin' , like.

Wow. Thanks for sharing

• Wow. Thanks for sharing

If I was family member of somebody murdered, I could see myself trading a one year suspended sentence for abduction to get the alleged murderer to stand trial...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

It's strange how much he relishes this 'celebrity' status.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Finally got around to listen to this (it’s on YouTube).

Very interesting case. I went into it thinking Bailey was being fitted up and finished it thinking he could well have done it but was definitely being fitted up!

The gards made an absolute bags of the investigation & it will likely never be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Finally got around to listen to this (it’s on YouTube).

Very interesting case. I went into it thinking Bailey was being fitted up and finished it thinking he could well have done it but was definitely being fitted up!

The gards made an absolute bags of the investigation & it will likely never be solved.

If it’s the same YouTube stream I saw, then I’d say it’s worth signing up to Audible for the free trial for this. The sound quality is immeasurably better on the Audible version - there’s a big enough difference that I think the YouTube lack of quality detracts from the experience

what happened the extra episodes?

irishgeo wrote: »
    what happened the extra episodes?

Perhaps the "extra episodes" referred to some additional analyses/reporting that would/might follow on from that Trial in Paris??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

West Cork Podcast (Live) is coming to Limerick’s Limetree Theatre on October 13th. Has anyone attended this event in Cork or another venue? If so, what did you think?
    A performance with live music and new material, of the hit podcast ‘West Cork’.

Advertisement