Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Casefile

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

pc7 wrote: »
    Yeah it's the one thing that brings a smile in such a dark case. I knew/know nothing about the case and am avoiding looking it up, but when it's finished I'll be looking to see did police mention that in press releases. I hope they did or at least after he's caught to embarrass the creature.

Dont do a google image search of the E.A.R/O.N.S - one of the photo-fits is terrifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't know who's worse, the police for not putting out enough information or the public for ignoring so much suspicious behaviour in the neighbourhood.
    A guy who looks like the EAR is prowling about outside, we've been getting prank calls all week, I'll just leave my wife on her own in the house while I go to work. Don't bother checking if the back door is locked, I locked it last night.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It was a different era, no smart phones, internet, had they 24 hour news stations then? But Defo agree especially some of the areas that had previous attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've just finished listening to Part 2 of the EAR case and it's very frustrating to listen to. There seems to have been a terrible breakdown in communication between the public and the police, in both directions. Or maybe that communication never really existed in the first place, considering the era.

If the police had made it known quickly that he was calling the women before attacks with hangup calls, who knows if some of the attacks could have been prevented.

On a lighter note, I tend to listen to Casefile while out walking alone when it's dark and I don't know why I do that to myself. I was so high strung after the intro to Part 1 of the EAR episodes that I jumped about 3 feet in the air when this motion-controlled sign at the beach started going on about litter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Totally agree found it very frustrating
    FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I've just finished listening to Part 2 of the EAR case and it's very frustrating to listen to. There seems to have been a terrible breakdown in communication between the public and the police, in both directions. Or maybe that communication never really existed in the first place, considering the era.

If the police had made it known quickly that he was calling the women before attacks with hangup calls, who knows if some of the attacks could have been prevented.

On a lighter note, I tend to listen to Casefile while out walking alone when it's dark and I don't know why I do that to myself. I was so high strung after the intro to Part 1 of the EAR episodes that I jumped about 3 feet in the air when this motion-controlled sign at the beach started going on about litter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It's a common theme in a lot of these podcasts, some of the stuff that went on with the police in the Yorkshire Ripper case defies logic, although the part involving
    the 5 pound note (think it was 5 pounds)
    was pretty ingenious.

siblers wrote: »
    It's a common theme in a lot of these podcasts, some of the stuff that went on with the police in the Yorkshire Ripper case defies logic, although the part involving
    the 5 pound note (think it was 5 pounds)
    was pretty ingenious.

Just downloaded that one today

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

EAR is a fantastic series. Creepy as hell. Casefile really is a cut above the rest in terms of true crime podcasting.

Here's a link to the map incase anyone hasn't seen it.

Case-53-The-East-Area-Rapist-1977-78-map-part-3v2.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'd never heard of EAR, can't believe how prolific he was, how lucky to keep getting away too. I'm being so good and avoiding googling it! The audios are freaking terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭optogirl

The EAR is really unsettling & frustrating - the amount of dead ends. It's horrific. I really need to stop listening to them at night :o get myself freaked out!

I think this is the best true crime podcast - found 'My Favourite Murder' a bit irreverant, and the guy who narrates 'They Walk Among Us' is just too irritating.

Casefile host has some really odd vocal quirks but I really love his narration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Casefile has quickly become a favourite of mine. Great stuff. I love the narrator's voice, as well. Very relaxing. I'm just getting through these "East Area Rapist" episodes without becoming too distracted by the perpetrator's "unusually small penis". Seriously, though, whoever he was he was on screwed up puppy. The phone recording was chilling, his MO was terrifying and his behaviour just bizarre (even by rapist standards). The talking to himself, blaming "mummy" or whatever he was saying. Just chilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

That phone call on the most recent episode. Ugh - i got shivers. I was walking down a road listening to it and started looking around me/behind me and then started imagining how i could use the umbrella i had as a weapon.

Those poor people who received those calls after being attacked. They might have been able to put some of it behind them but that would have opened the wound again.

This guy was so lucky - the amount of attacks is shocking. I really think he was just lucky. So many people spotted him and so many of those attacks could have resulted in him being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Parchment wrote: »
    That phone call on the most recent episode. Ugh - i got shivers. I was walking down a road listening to it and started looking around me/behind me and then started imagining how i could use the umbrella i had as a weapon.

Those poor people who received those calls after being attacked. They might have been able to put some of it behind them but that would have opened the wound again.

This guy was so lucky - the amount of attacks is shocking. I really think he was just lucky. So many people spotted him and so many of those attacks could have resulted in him being caught.

Yes those poor people he called after having attacked them; it must have compounded the trauma. It sounds like he was lucky but also that the police made mistakes too, like the stakeout at the convenience store where they were supposed to be out of uniform but the uniform of one of them was visible under his civilian clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Thanks for setting up this thread, I am listening to this podcast now and starting from the beginning, excellent podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That poem he wrote was fairly impressive. Seems to be a very intelligent person, how did he figure out the cops were in the store? Always seemed to be 3 steps ahead of the cops.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    That poem he wrote was fairly impressive. Seems to be a very intelligent person, how did he figure out the cops were in the store? Always seemed to be 3 steps ahead of the cops.
    He was able to see part of the cop's uniform, the cop didn't go properly undercover

Also, he was kind of begging out to be caught, it was fairly apparent a lot of times who he was going to target (prank calls, leaving doors unlocked, moving stuff around) but a complete breakdown in communication between the public hindered them trying to catch him.

It must be a full time job staking out so many areas, breaking into houses the day before, all the prank calls, finding good areas to break into, finding different cars etc.

If he put that much effort into a job the guy would be a millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It's confusing how well-organised he seems to have been while also, apparently, disassociating by talking to himself and hearing voices.

His access to so many vehicles is interesting but his command of the phone system is the most confusing element to me. Especially the survivors who would change phone numbers and still receive the calls. He was keeping track of a lot of numbers.

I think the interest lingers on because even today, how are you supposed to defend yourself against someone who can silently break in no matter how many locks you have? Who does enough planning to move or disable any weapons or communication systems you have? It's nightmarish.

I had a little cheer listening to episode 3 when
    the 13 year-old and her mother refused to go along with his routine and managed to throw him off.
    But on the flipside,
    that woman who called to report she had been attacked and wasn't believed? Jesus Christ.

But I think the phone books were so readily available and you could ring the operator for numbers. Agree bloody horrific!!

As a side does anyone know code to spoiler on mobile? Is it
    this is a test spoiler /
    Yay! Lol sorry couldn't get it working on mobile.

ETA
    was gutted when he drove through the intersection and they just missed him, he's one lucky bastard. /

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

As a side does anyone know code to spoiler on mobile? Is it
    this is a test spoiler /
    Yay! Lol sorry couldn't get it working on mobile.

ETA
    was gutted when he drove through the intersection and they just missed him, he's one lucky bastard.

Nope, those tags didnt work :D

Put the / in side the brackets

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Email from Casefile:

Due to the complexity of the case, EAR/Original Nightstalker series had to be extended to 5 parts.

However!

This weekend we will be releasing our first double episode, Part 4 and Part 5 of the series. The episodes will be released at the same time and will conclude the series.

After that, we will be taking a mid-year break, but during the break, we will be releasing bonus content connected to Case 53 - interviews, audio clips and magazine. More info coming soon!

I'm expecting this to be blockbuster stuff!! I've actually noticed myself checking locks on windows & doors a lot more now :)
    Email from Casefile:

Due to the complexity of the case, EAR/Original Nightstalker series had to be extended to 5 parts.

However!

This weekend we will be releasing our first double episode, Part 4 and Part 5 of the series. The episodes will be released at the same time and will conclude the series.

After that, we will be taking a mid-year break, but during the break, we will be releasing bonus content connected to Case 53 - interviews, audio clips and magazine. More info coming soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

The last two episodes of EAR have just dropped, folks. That's my evening sorted for the next x amount of hours! xD

OMG I knew nothing about the ear case before Casefile, but I can't believe they never found him!!!!! That's nuts. Also do they think the original night stalker was ear? I was a bit confused by all that? [\spoiler]

DNA connected them
    OMG I knew nothing about the ear case before Casefile, but I can't believe they never found him!!!!! That's nuts. Also do they think the original night stalker was ear? I was a bit confused by all that? [\spoiler]

Aw must have missed that bit (damn kids!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Truly bizarre story, you couldn't make it up!

Lot of stuff about it on YouTube, will have to check it out!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Aw must have missed that bit (damn kids!)

The cop talking confirms it.

Listen to the Mr. Cruel one today. Crazy amount of similarities with this and the EAR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

To be honest I was shocked that
    he was never found. It's hard to believe that someone could commit that many violent crimes without ever being caught. Yet the police really seemed to work really hard trying to catch him so it doesn't appear to be down to poor policing?

Advertisement