Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah....I feared the same....there's a few awkward bits alright but Eammo doesn't really indulge him too much to be fair.

It seems that Callan is possibly getting out of comedy (if I picked it up correctly) and focusing more on journalism so good news all round :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was really not that interested in listening to an interview with Oliver Callan, but I thought it was a great interview. Both men had a lot of interesting things to say and the, admittedly staggeringly accurate impressions, were kept to a minimum.

When I listen to this Pod I almost feel like there's two Eamonn Dunphys out there in the world. There's the complete spoofer who talks about football on TV and there's this other guy who is warm, respectful, erudite and wise. He's an excellent interviewer who isn't afraid to let the interviewee talk or disagree with him. The Stand is rapidly becoming one of my favourite shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Not quite sure why Paul Kimmage was on to talk about Conor McGregor. Sure, he knew a decent amount about his history and has inetrviewed John Kavanagh before, but it was an absolute facepalm moment near the start when neither he, nor Eamon knew the duration of an MMA fight. Very difficult to take the conversation seriously after that.

Also, he says he's after an interview with McGregor... Good luck with that one if he's making statements about how he lost all respect for him for advertising his whiskey after the Mayweather fight.

Neither of them were claiming to be experts on MMA. Kimmage was talking for the perspective of a curious journo. Kimmage is quite contrary and can have a lot of contradictory opinions on the same thing - he wasn't too impressed with McGregor hawking whiskey and he didn't seem too keen on numerous aspects of the whole McGregor phenomenon - but I think he respected the man in some way and thought his journey was fascinating. Sometimes Kimmage is contrary for contrarys sake, but I think his stubbornness makes him a better journalist than a lot of them out there. I'd love to read a piece of his if McGregor would grant him access - I'm sure he'd go places that others wouldn't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Kimmage has done a few pieces on MMA, not just the one on Kavanagh. He even went over to Vegas for the May Mac fight.

I can't see him getting to interview McGregor though, I don't think McGregor has done any Irish media or interviews, bar his own McLife stuff, in years. I think since before he got big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭trixiebust

The only one I've listened to so far was the Oliver Callan interview. Eamon's much better in audio format these days, he's far more relaxed than TV Eamon.

Reminds me a bit of the Last Word & it's glory years circa 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Arghus wrote: »
    I was really not that interested in listening to an interview with Oliver Callan, but I thought it was a great interview. Both men had a lot of interesting things to say and the, admittedly staggeringly accurate impressions, were kept to a minimum.

When I listen to this Pod I almost feel like there's two Eamonn Dunphys out there in the world. There's the complete spoofer who talks about football on TV and there's this other guy who is warm, respectful, erudite and wise. He's an excellent interviewer who isn't afraid to let the interviewee talk or disagree with him. The Stand is rapidly becoming one of my favourite shows.

Very true. The eamo act on tv is simply to get attention and keep his profile up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oliver Callan even picked up on the 2 Dunphys towards the end of their chat...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Enjoyed Paul Howard

Howard: His father is that right-wing, middle class man, a pub bore who suddenly in this age has found out there's a market for his type of bullsh1t.

Dunphy: A kinda George Hook type figure?

Also "Sorry dude this is a Rock carriage" was hilarious, you can understand why he had so much venom for those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Enjoyed Paul Howard

Howard: His father is that right-wing, middle class man, a pub bore who suddenly in this age has found out there's a market for his type of bullsh1t.

Dunphy: A kinda George Hook type figure?

Also "Sorry dude this is a Rock carriage" was hilarious, you can understand why he had so much venom for those people.

Also what the 10yr old kid said to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Also what the 10yr old kid said to him.

It's more the fact that these kids believe what they're saying that makes it so lamentable and funny.

Whoever recommended this pod day 1 - nice work. Gets better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Gilesy seems to think Harry Kane is a bit of a simpleton based on the latest pod :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭applehunter

He wouldn't kill his granny in the negotiating room.

Another great couple of interviews with Tony Connelly and, in particular, Clare Daly.

I’d say if the average Joe on the street is asked to give an opinion about Clare Daly they’d probably say something like “Is that yer wan that hangs around with Mick Wallace???”

To be honest, I’d have said something similar myself until relatively recently – the interviews that Dunphy has done with Mick Clifford have also been excellent and have highlighted that Daly & Wallace have played huge roles in in exposing the Garda scandal.

Another issue with Daly is that she seems to be always brought on to the likes of Prime Time, Vincent Browne etc to act as a contrarian and her opinion is drowned out by flunkies from FF/FG and she generally ends up looking like a left-wing crank.

It’s hard to identify exactly what Dunphy is doing to get people talking so openly, but it’s obvious that his guests are very at ease and relaxed in his company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

That studio must still have an overpowering smell of bull**** a day after joe brolly left it.

Dunphy fulfilled the important role of agreeing with every thing Brolly said and never challenging him on his various contradictory assertions.

How about when he said that Dublin GAA has a great backroom who all get “the ethos of the GAA” and then literally 2mins later said Jason Sherlock was a “capitalist GAA man” “not a GAA man at all”, forgetting that Sherlock is a key member of that backroom. Loads more examples as well but that one stood out.

He’s a complete bull****ter who like many old people looks back at their own playing era as been superior.

• Advertisement

Who does??

You obviously read everything with a view to get offended on behalf of DublinGAA.

This has NOTHING to do with Dublin GAA, it’s about brolly completely contradicting himself in the space of 2mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I haven't listened to it yet, but I'll be quite annoyed if Dunphy just agreed with everything that Brolly said.

I both like and dislike Brolly. He is intelligent and his writing can be insightful and cogent. But he can also be full of bullsh*t and a complete WUM.

I both like and dislike Brolly //// *Dunphy*. He is intelligent and his writing can be insightful and cogent. But he can also be full of bullsh*t and a complete WUM.

I had to make an addition. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I had to make an addition. :)

True!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I haven't listened to it yet, but I'll be quite annoyed if Dunphy just agreed with everything that Brolly said.

I both like and dislike Brolly. He is intelligent and his writing can be insightful and cogent. But he can also be full of bullsh*t and a complete WUM.

I like Ken Early's work. He writes fluently and thinks cogently.

buyer95 wrote: »
    I like Ken Early's work. He writes fluently and thinks cogently.

But he's wrong.

Caught up with the Joe Brolly episode earlier on.

Again, like Claire Daly, I would have had a narrow pre-conceived view of Brolly based mainly on his ranting on the Sunday Game and his seemingly attention seeking articles in the Sunday Independent.

I thought the interview provided an interesting profile of Brolly and gave some context for some of his views and opinions.

Having said that, I thought Dunphy gave him a rather easy ride and maybe could have probed a bit further on some points (eg. I’m still not 100% sure why he chose to donate his kidney to a virtual stranger; and as others have pointed out he seemed to flip-flop a lot on the subject of GAA players and money). Brolly clearly likes the sound of his own voice and I think Eamon indulged him a bit too much on this episode.

Still though, it’s streets ahead of any other socio-political broadcast available imho. The Garda McCabe coverage is top notch in particular.

One thing I’d like to hear Dunphy talk about more is Brexit and the EU. He has strong anti-EU opinions I think (not sure if aired on this podcast, or possibly his interview on An Irishman Abroad) so would be interested to hear this argument fleshed out a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭shockframe

Dots1982 wrote: »
    How about when he said that Dublin GAA has a great backroom who all get “the ethos of the GAA” and then literally 2mins later said Jason Sherlock was a “capitalist GAA man” “not a GAA man at all”, forgetting that Sherlock is a key member of that backroom. Loads more examples as well but that one stood out.

He’s a complete bull****ter who like many old people looks back at their own playing era as been superior.

Brolly has been repeating himself for far too long now. He talks about the great days of football. Does that include his 2 ulster final wins which are right up there with the most rancid football games in history.

If anything Football is miles ahead of what it used to be. The All Ireland semi finals/finals this decade now produce at least 1 game that stands up for all time. I can hardly think of any all ireland semi final in the 1990s that would stand up to some of the semi finals since.

If you listened to brolly you'd think attendances had fallen by about 80% with the state of the game. The crowds overall have been as good as ever. From a participation, attendance and media interest level Football is the sporting drug of the nation.

Brolly was moaning about it being too serious and players obsessed with money. Does he not realise that the media that he's part of has as much to do with matters like this as anything. Football sells papers and gets people onto blogs.

Even listening to him laud Tohill for his time at United was a bit contradictory. Fair play to Tohill if he got a contract out of it but a bit hypocritical to be then slating the modern day player.

Brolly has also moved from 3 different papers the last 5 or 6 years. Were the ones he left giving him too much money or something?

In fairness to Dunphy you could sense that he badly wanted to point out some of Brollys nonsense but Joe was shouting the loudest.

• Advertisement

Don’t think Dunphy had any wish to take on anything brolly said. It’s a 60 minute interview and Dunphy is no wallflower.

Giving him a big free pass there.

Advertisement