Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've listened to a lot of his non-sport relates interviews and have found them enjoyable. However, I only listened to about 15 minutes of the podcast with the journalist Mary Fitzgerald (Ep. 43) before I turned it off as it seemed that there was ZERO research done. She had to keep correcting Eamonn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

This podcast puzzles me for 2 reasons.
    1. Why is he making these? There does not seem to be any commercial tie-in, so I assume it's more a hobby than anything else?
    2. Why does the quality vary so widely? Some episodes are great, some are absolutely woeful, as if he was handed a mic for the first time...

Overall I like it though, he's been quite quick with some episodes on breaking news items (he had an interview with Peter Boylan when the Holles Street thing exploded)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Still Ill

dulpit wrote: »
    This podcast puzzles me for 2 reasons.
    1. Why is he making these? There does not seem to be any commercial tie-in, so I assume it's more a hobby than anything else?
    2. Why does the quality vary so widely? Some episodes are great, some are absolutely woeful, as if he was handed a mic for the first time...

Overall I like it though, he's been quite quick with some episodes on breaking news items (he had an interview with Peter Boylan when the Holles Street thing exploded)

Had been wondering about this myself. Perhaps there's future plans to monetise it? Although, he doesn't seem to be promoting it too heavily so I can't imagine the listenership is too high. Hopefully he continues making them anyway, as they are enjoyable.
    He seems to be more focused on current affairs recently than football. Would have liked to have heard an end of season football episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

His last 2 non football podcasts on terrorism and the threat to Ireland, and on NAMA were really excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Both the Mick Clifford and Kevin Myers podcasts were seriously enjoyable. The insight that both of them offered on their separate subject matter was fantastic. It really shows where the medium of podcasting over tv or radio or newspapers can really come into its own as a form of media content.

I think Dunphy has 50 years worth of contacts/experience built up at this stage, and that can allow him to carve out his own niche here.

(Don't think I'll ever be a fan of his soccer analysis coverage though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Cringeworthy stuff from Dunphy on the Rog interview.

Rog "You have to remember in 2000 I was the fault Munster didn't win."

Eamon "Ya. You gave a penalty away."

Rog "NO! No... Thats in the Lions series... No in Twickenham against Northampton in 2000. Jason Holland got a drop goal, David Wallace got a try and I got 0 points."

Great interview, but again Dunphy's lack of research really letting him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DuhJerk

Dunphy's laudatory interview with Myers has aged well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Stephen Rea interviewed on dunphy show today. Spelled his name Rae. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Listened to the Ken Doherty episode. While Eamonn has loads of knowledge on Ken (I didn't realise the history the two of them have), I found it a bit annoying the way he kept cutting across. A lot of the time he would cut across Ken saying "I know, I was there". Be quiet Eamonn! We want to hear Kens side of the story!

Having said that, it was enjoyable and I'll continue to listen.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Stephen Rea interviewed on dunphy show today. Spelled his name Rae. ��

Quite a good pod, although I felt it could have delved more into his past (Rea's, not Dunphy's).

I'm really enjoying this podcast (I tend to skip the football ones though). I even liked the Kevin Myers episode although, as someone already commented, it hasn't aged well...

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Stephen Rea interviewed on dunphy show today. Spelled his name Rae. ��

Quite a good pod, although I felt it could have delved more into his past (Rea's, not Dunphy's).

I'm really enjoying this podcast (I tend to skip the football ones though). I even liked the Kevin Myers episode although, as someone already commented, it hasn't aged well...

Ah Rea is likeable and down to earth but you are right, dunphy could have tried to delve into his past more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Premier League preview podcast with Giles & Brady released about 6 hours ago so should keep you happy :)

Seems a bit odd that older two-part episodes are being re-released as a 'new' single episode :confused:

Episodes #8 & 9 (Paul Kimmage) are repeated as #70.
    Episodes #13 & 14 (Robert Fisk) are repeated as #71.

Patww79 wrote: »

Just starting it now myself

Seems a bit odd that older two-part episodes are being re-released as a 'new' single episode :confused:

Episodes #8 & 9 (Paul Kimmage) are repeated as #70.
    Episodes #13 & 14 (Robert Fisk) are repeated as #71.

He was on holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

My one must-listen podcast at the moment, its been really excellent generally speaking.
    The non-political stuff is at times superb, even subjects that I wouldnt have a great interest in, he draws me in.
    Agree that he probably needs to improve on the research side, and perhaps some production values too. But overall I love it, regardless of what is on the menu. Always enjoyed his football analysis, so I knew I'd enjoy that part of it, but the non-sports stuff has really surprised me in a good way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

He was on holidays

Clearly marked as repeats too, at least on the podcast republic app I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How are the Prem League reviews etc?

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    How are the Prem League reviews etc?

One is hilarious. John Giles gets the hump because there is opposition to his viewpoint from Brady and to a lesser stent Dunphy . A type of debate goes on with a lot of barbs throws from both sides. I like Gilesey but he has no ability to see or consider an opposing point of view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

I'm Really enjoying it so far,however i do prefer the political ones more than the sports episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Did anyone listen to the abortion podcast? Was pretty infuriating listening to the lady from the Iona Institute justifying forcing a teenage rape victim to carry a baby full term with anecdotal evidence of her friends that had children young and turned out grand.

Was surprised that Eamon gave his view on things so openly and very surprised that he admitted he was so conservative that he's anti divorce. Would have had him pegged as far more progressive than that.

I've been meaning to comment on the abortion podcast. It was a very good interview. I disagree with pretty much every sentence the Iona Institute lady said, but it was a well conducted interview. Dunphy was clearly able to put the hard questions to her, even though he openly admitted his own views too.

If only the upcoming debates would be as good.

^^^
    I wasn't sure if I had wanted to listen to that interview, but think I will based on the comments from the last two posters

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Whether you like Dunphy or not, these podcasts should be essential listening for anyone with even a passing interest in Irish politics and society.

He consistently gets interesting guests and allows them to express their views without swamping them with his own agenda/beliefs.

I don't necessarily always agree with the guests and/or Dunphy but it's refreshing to hear proper interviews considering the tripe that gets rolled out elsewhere.

The fact that it's a free podcast with no ads is great....wonder if there's a plan to go more commercial at some stage...must be costing him money.

Well said ^

The lack of a commercial element is strange though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well, this podcast has achieved the impossible….I listened to Oliver Callan without wanting to switch off after about 3.8 seconds :D

After a clunky opening, it actually turned out to be an interesting interview expertly handled by Eammo.

Callan was clearly all set to discuss his sexuality/being in the closet etc. but Dunphy took the road less travelled by (talking about Gerry Ryan, the Troubles, Gay Byrne etc) which was quite refreshing.

• Advertisement

Advertisement