Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Podcast Club

• 19-01-2016 10:37pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Podcast Club is a monthly opportunity for us to share the podcasts we love with each other. Similar to a book club, you are encouraged to check out the episodes suggested and discuss them. If you wish to suggest a podcast, just post in this thread to sign up for an upcoming month!

Upcoming Podcast Clubs
    • September 2016 - dulpit
    • October 2016 - scottmcb04

Previous Podcast Clubs
    • August 2016 - wnolan1992 - RISK!

Original post:
    Idea time.

Would any of you guys and gals be interested in being part of a sort of "podcast club" here on the forum? Basically this is modeled after the Cooking Club and Playpens from other forums here on Boards. The idea would be that each month a different poster would choose a podcast that they think more people should listen to, write a little bit about it, then suggest a few good episodes for people to get a good introduction to it. Then over the course of the month we all post about what we liked/disliked about the suggestion.

If any of ye are interested, or have suggestions as to how to expand on the idea, or even a better name for it, post here and I'll get a list going. We could start in February if there's some interest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Think that's a great idea.

The Retro forum are currently running a "Retro game of the week" where the focus on one game per week and collectivly pick the next one.

Annother option could be to pick a podcast that's new to a lot of us, and then we post back our thoughts.

There's a great amount of varierty on the forum of what people listen to so I'd be very interested to see what comes out of this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I like the idea. Is there enough traffic in the forum to sustain it? Only one way to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd welcome the idea.I think there's enough people who frequent the forum to make it worthwhile

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

As well as recommending specific podcasts, you could look at it by theme, by episode. A sad episode, a funny one, a barnstormer, etc, etc.

As well as recommending specific podcasts, you could look at it by theme, by episode. A sad episode, a funny one, a barnstormer, etc, etc.

Yeah - thought of this when I saw your post. Basically picking out great episodes of old podcasts. Some great podcast series have finished up by now but should be still available.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/ten_years_in_your_ears/2014/12/best_podcast_episodes_ever_the_25_best_from_serial_to_the_ricky_gervais.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Oh_Is_This_Me?

Hi, did this podcast club ever get up and running? I recently moved back to Ireland and I miss having a podcast-lover community to chat with!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hi, did this podcast club ever get up and running? I recently moved back to Ireland and I miss having a podcast-lover community to chat with!

The idea never really took off, but I, for one, would still like it to happen.

Let's do it! Let's get started!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Sorry guys, I dropped the ball a bit on this. I had intended getting it up and running in June, but what with finishing up college and whatnot I sort of put it on the back burner.

If there's a few people up for it, we could give it a trial run. I'd suggest that until we get a fair few people interested, we make it monthly, just so we don't burn it out in the space of three months or something.

So, we'll start on 1st August. General idea will be to select a podcast, write a bit about it in the OP, how you got to listen to it, what it's about, etc. Then give links to a number of episodes in or around the 5 hour mark that show why you love the podcast.

Then people listen to those episodes and say what they think, which'll hopefully spark a bit of discussion, maybe more episodes can be suggested etc.

Post in this thread expressing interest, and I'll put together a list. I'll PM the next person on the list 10 days before their turn so they have time to prepare.

List of Upcoming/Past Podcast Clubs
    August 2016 - wnolan1992

I'll go first as I already have one prepared. I'll edit the OP in a bit and this can become the hub thread.

Good stuff. Some great recommendations on this forum already so hopefully this would bring all of that together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'd be interested in this big time, would happily recommend one or 2 podcasts too...

Do we know what this month's PC is yet?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Do we know what this month's PC is yet?

I'm currently working on it. Should be up by tomorrow night. Had intended getting it done today, but forgot about the bank holiday. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

id be interested in contributing as well...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'm currently working on it. Should be up by tomorrow night. Had intended getting it done today, but forgot about the bank holiday. :o

Timing has worked out well. For the first time in probably months I am more or less at podcast zero (i.e. no new podcasts in my catcher) so am open to new listens.

Edited the OP, the list of upcoming clubs will be there from now on, as well as a list of previous months' threads. Sticking the thread as well, and I'll throw up an announcement in the forum at the start of each month (a belated one for this month should be up now).

I'll PM the next participant in line one week before they're due to start just as a reminder. :)

The month is nearly over! I will have my podcast club feedback over the next few days :-)

Podcast club for September added: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057642765.

Sorry I'm a day late - blame work!

Bit behind on my listening at the moment, so this slipped my mind. Happy to pitch in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 RyanAdams11

Id highly recommend a podcast called Heroes for Hire - an Irish comicbook and movie based podcast that's kinda newish.

They tackle all the weeks movie news along with weird news. They also do a cool segment called Hero or Zero every week talking one comicbook character and doing an in depth discussion on them. I find it pretty entertaining.

I always listen to them on podbean, I find it's the best app for listening to stuff but they're on Itunes, Spotify and Castbox too i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Would that happen to be your podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RyanAdams11

Would that happen to be your podcast?

Nah i went to college with the lads that did it and they're cool guys so just said id do my part to let people know they exist

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wendaluis

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Eamon Dunphy does a premier League round up usually in a Tuesday with Liam Brady and Johnny Giles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I love the bite-size episodes of the Aaron Mahnke's Cabinet of Curiosities podcast.

https://www.grimandmild.com/curiosities

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Advertisement